R&R '96 WW motor (T&C)

Old September 25th 05, 10:49 PM
Fieronut

Default R&R '96 WW motor (T&C)

The Haynes manual makes it sound SOOOO easy...basically it says, remove the
WW arms, the cover under them and the 3 bolts from the motor and it's out.
But when you get to the wrecking yard to actually GET ONE? It's under 3
tons of linkage, nuts, bolts, wires and hoses!!

Fortunatly, before I got there, someone had been nice enough to remove the
engine, trans, front fenders and hood, so all I had to do was walk up to it
and remove the WW arms, the cover under it AND about 300 nuts bolts and
reinforcements to get to the "unit" (Oh yeah, I read the FACTORY manual
AFTER I got back!) and remove the motor itself.

I can hardly wait to put it INTO my van! Can't bend all that stuff outta
the way NOW as I did at the WY! Gotta be careful and not lose any of
those 300 nuts and bolts! (Fooled YOU--I brought 'em all WITH me from the
wrecking yard. They weigh more than the motor!)

One thing puzzles me tho--the factory manual says to disconnect the BIIIG
connector (in the engine compartment) that goes to the WW motor, the
underhood lights, etc. If you disconnect the battery, why disconnect that
big sucker? The connectors you REALLY have to disonnect are the 2 on the
motor itself.

While I was looking for the donor van, I saw MAAANY older
Chysler/Dodge/Plymouth vans. On them the WW motor was in the ENGINE
compartment. What made them decide to put it where they did AND under all
that mess? Like why did they put the H/AC blower-motor relay behind 3 tons
of wiring where only a contortionist can get to it? I guess I'll NEVER
understand the thinking at Chrysler.

John

Old September 26th 05, 02:33 AM
Fieronut

NOW I understand EVERYTHING! The thing comes out in a kind of long bucket.
Once you get it out, it's really pretty easy to do everything.

The only problem...I still have the problem. The one I had BEFORE I went
thru this mess--it only works on one speed. Actually, now it works on 2
speeds--the 1st two low speeds--but still not the way it is supposed to
work--shortening time intervals between strokes.

So....the dealer said it needed new motor. Maybe this motor has the same
problem as the old one--it certainly seems that way. I changed the switch
too, so that can't be it. I'm really baffled. But at least I only paid
the dealer to TELL me what was wrong, not the $300 he wanted to R&R the
motor. This motor only cost $16 WITH a 30 day warrantee. OK..plan B!

John