Next Gen

Old September 27th 05, 06:20 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-26, Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> Those are all girly-guns. Here's what you want for your NC cupholder:
> http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5301&return=Y
>
> The Casull will allegedly stop a brown bear, if you don't wimp
> out on the bullet weight. Use two hands, Iva. Or maybe three.

Doesn't such a short barrell make it harder to shoot
accurately?

I suppose having to wait until the bear is within 6 feet is
half the fun, eh?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Isn't this my STOP?!
at
Old September 27th 05, 06:22 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-27, Dana H. Myers > wrote:

> Frankly, I don't think anyone really recreationally hunts big
> game with a revolver.

An old buddy's brother used to. I think it's a bit nuts, but
you've got to admit it's giving the game more of a chance.

Personally, I think getting a good photo of a critter is a lot
more challenging and rewarding that killing it.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! If I had a Q-TIP, I
at could prevent th' collapse
Old September 27th 05, 12:55 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:

>>>From Ruger's page:

>>>LOL! I did not know that was a challenge!

>> I would think the idea is that if your revolver cannot stop your
>> bear/tiger/elephant, the big game might end up hunting you. Why
>> would that not be a challenge to a revolver or LOL?

>Perhaps I should be more clear; I did not know that was a challenge
>that sane people people engage in.

Fair enough. I don't kill animals for sport myself, so I am not
really up to what people that do, do and do not do.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 27th 05, 01:26 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> I still wonder whether any Redhawk user under 300 pounds wouldn't get
> hurt worse by the pistol than by the bear. A .454 with a 2.5" barrel?
> That's just nutz. Gun lust is 99% testosterone anyway, but this takes
> the cake.
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

WAY off topic here, but I have to wonder at the actual velocity of the
round coming out of a .454 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Unless you handload,
or some company makes a round with extremely fast-burning powder, there
is going to be a LOT of unused gunpowder coming out the end of the
barrel. A .44 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel may actually produce more
power and penetration, especially if hand-loaded to near-maximum pressures.

I only weigh 140 pounds and have shot a Ruger .454 that a person let me
try out at the range. It had factory rounds, nothing super-heavy, but
nothing hand-loaded lightly either. It wasn't that bad, nothing compared
to the .44 Magnum Desert Eagle that I used to own. The revolver had a
nice, almost-pleasant flip up, the auto Desert Eagle slammed my wrist
like a hammer.
The smaller .454 will kick more simply because it weighs less than the
one I shot, but I would pick one up and fire it without hesitation.

My daughter shot a .45 auto at the age of 12, and she is small for her
age. She was willing to try it after seeing me empty a magazine using
just one finger and my thumb. Handgun kick is usually overrated.

Finally, I have taught a number of women to shoot, as well as being
outshot by a few. I guess that their testosterone levels were running
high that day. :-)

Pat
Old September 27th 05, 03:39 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> WAY off topic here, but I have to wonder at the actual velocity of the
> round coming out of a .454 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Unless you handload,
> or some company makes a round with extremely fast-burning powder, there
> is going to be a LOT of unused gunpowder coming out the end of the
> barrel.

To some extent, certainly. If you google this gun, you'll find photos of
some very impressive muzzle flashes (maybe it's supposed to dazzle the
bear long enough for you to run away).

The velocity remains astronomical, though, averaging around 1500 fps and
over 1300 ft-lb. depending on bullet and load. The 2.5" .454 still
delivers 40% more energy than a 7.5" .44 Magnum.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/rgrRH/

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 27th 05, 04:07 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> To some extent, certainly. If you google this gun, you'll find photos of
> some very impressive muzzle flashes (maybe it's supposed to dazzle the
> bear long enough for you to run away).
>
> The velocity remains astronomical, though, averaging around 1500 fps and
> over 1300 ft-lb. depending on bullet and load. The 2.5" .454 still
> delivers 40% more energy than a 7.5" .44 Magnum.
>
> http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/rgrRH/
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Nasty! That is a cool article, thanks. I did not know that they had
redesigned the grip design, it has been a few years since I fired that
..454 Casull. This one is definitely going to kick into your wrist harder
than the Redhawk's grip design that I was firing.
I might just throw it at the bear and run istead. ;-)

Pat
Old September 27th 05, 04:39 PM
XS11E

pws > wrote in:

> I might just throw it at the bear and run istead. ;-)

Remember, you don't need to outrun the bear, you only need to outrun the
person you're with!

Old September 27th 05, 05:39 PM
pws

XS11E wrote:

> Remember, you don't need to outrun the bear, you only need to outrun the
> person you're with!

I agree, this seldom-discussed survival technique is far more effective
than any firearm or pepper spray for surviving a bear attack.

Make sure there is always a very slow person in your party, at least
consistently slower than yourself, and wear running shoes instead of
hiking boots. ;-)

Pat
Old September 27th 05, 06:31 PM
XS11E

pws > wrote in:

> XS11E wrote:
>

>> Remember, you don't need to outrun the bear, you only need to outrun the
>> person you're with!
>>

> I agree, this seldom-discussed survival technique is far more effective
> than any firearm or pepper spray for surviving a bear attack.
>
> Make sure there is always a very slow person in your party, at least
> consistently slower than yourself, and wear running shoes instead of
> hiking boots. ;-)

Or, if like me, you can't run then don't go bear hunting!

I only went hunting bare one time, almost froze.

Old September 27th 05, 06:53 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I might just throw it at the bear and run istead. ;-)

Ask the bear if he'd like to shoot your kewl new gun. Then watch him
limp away with two sprained wrists.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis