94 Accord LX Exhaust Replacement - Dif Parts for Cal Model?

Old July 29th 05, 06:09 AM
Richard Minami

Default 94 Accord LX Exhaust Replacement - Dif Parts for Cal Model?

Hello all. I have a question regarding the exhaust system on my '94 Accord
LX. It was sounding loud, so I had my mechanic take a look. The muffler is
bad from the catalytic converter back. They quoted me something like $500
to replace those pieces. I don't have an exact quote, since it was over the
phone, bundled with a CV boot (axle half shaft replacement) fix. Anyway,
they said it was more expensive because it's a California model. Could this
be true? I live in Seattle, and my sister bought it new in Alexandria,
Virginia! Does anyone know if Honda makes a different exhaust system for
the California market?

A friend at work looked online and in less than 30 seconds, saw that you can
buy the parts for less than $200, and that it's a piece of cake to change
out. Any thoughts on that?

Oh, and I heard that Honda doesn't use stainless steel, so this is why I
have this problem with only 96,000 miles. Would the true Honda parts still
be better to buy?

Thanks!

--

Richard Minami
'94 Honda Accord LX

Old July 29th 05, 08:19 AM
R. P.

"Richard Minami" > wrote:
> Hello all. I have a question regarding the exhaust system on my '94
> Accord
> LX. It was sounding loud, so I had my mechanic take a look. The
> muffler is
> bad from the catalytic converter back. They quoted me something like
> $500
> to replace those pieces. I don't have an exact quote, since it was
> over the
> phone, bundled with a CV boot (axle half shaft replacement) fix.
> Anyway,
> they said it was more expensive because it's a California model.
> Could this
> be true? I live in Seattle, and my sister bought it new in
> Alexandria,
> Virginia! Does anyone know if Honda makes a different exhaust system
> for
> the California market?
>
> A friend at work looked online and in less than 30 seconds, saw that
> you can
> buy the parts for less than $200, and that it's a piece of cake to
> change
> out. Any thoughts on that?
>
> Oh, and I heard that Honda doesn't use stainless steel, so this is why
> have this problem with only 96,000 miles. Would the true Honda parts
> still
> be better to buy?

Richard, I also live in the PS area and the muffler of my '94 LX was
also replaced at around 100 K miles. It's been another 100K since then
and the OEM replacement muffler is holding up just fine. It should for
your car, too. My car is not a Calif. model though and I don't see why
yours should be if it was bought new in Va.

Rudy