Is this the end? OTM question

Old September 14th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Is this the end? OTM question

I figured I would ask here before heading over to the Toyota newsgroups.

The car is a 1994 Camry, with approximately 170,000 miles. It has been
squealing from the belt area, and I thought it was the A/C compressor
pulley. Wrong pulley, this is the main drive pulley.

The belts came off and the crank pulley is on at an angle. It is
attached with one bolt, which is still tight, but the metal has
separated and only the outer ring is loose. (harmonic balancer?).

I was able to push it back into place, but obviously it will not hold.

This car was getting very close to the replacement period, it put in a
good 15 years.
This repair looks like an engine pull at the minimum, and the pulley
itself isn't going to be cheap.

Is it time to have her hauled away or has anyone come up with an easy
fix that I am not thinking of?

Nope, not gonna part this one out. I only tear down Miatas......

Pat
Old September 14th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> This repair looks like an engine pull at the minimum, and the
> pulley itself isn't going to be cheap.

The crank pulley can be replaced w/o pulling the engine on some cars,
yours seems to be one of them:

http://www.camryforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3097

Naturally, you'll not need to remove the other items mentioned.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old September 14th 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

the harmonic balancer (pulley) for a '94 camry appears to be about $80 from
www.rockauto.com, but there are several possible engines in the '94 so take
a look on their site for yourself.
i wonder if the pulley is ok and the tip of the crank is actually bent or if
the pulley was held on by two opposing screws and one screw fell out so it
is sitting on an angle... if it was held on by two screws then the missing
one may have been sheered off making it necessary to tap out the old one...
ugh.

Old September 14th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

ps. ebay has some available for less... of course it depends on the engine.
but toyota calls these things harmonic ballancers and not crank pulleys so
be sure to search ebay for "camry harmonic" for the most hits (13) but also
search for "camry crank pulley" and you will find some hits for replacement
screws which you will also need. as always, be careful on ebay as there is
some real junk listed there.

t...

Old September 15th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> ps. ebay has some available for less... of course it depends on the engine.
> but toyota calls these things harmonic ballancers and not crank pulleys so
> be sure to search ebay for "camry harmonic" for the most hits (13) but also
> search for "camry crank pulley" and you will find some hits for replacement
> screws which you will also need. as always, be careful on ebay as there is
> some real junk listed there.

XS11E and Chris,

thanks so much. I am not feeling that well today, so my research skills
were a bit down. Thanks for doing my work for me. :-) (seriously)

This is excellent news!
If I can do this without an engine pull, which sure looks like the case
based on people who have done this, then a $100.00 repair that I can do
myself is no big deal.

It really doesn't look like there is space to get a socket on there, but
maybe there is some change in the spacing when the car is lifted.

It is also possible that I missed something obvious, it was dark and my
flashlight was a'fadin'.
The engine would only need a slight drop to clear the firewall enough to
run a socket onto the bolt through the passenger wheel space. I will
know soon enough.

The stealership price on that harmonic balancer is $249.95, the damn
thieves.
That $80.00 aftermarket piece will do just fine, I would think.

Thanks again! I was feeling bummed, because we would like to get another
5,000 to 10,000 miles out of the car, and selling it now as a
non-running vehicle was depressing.

Pat
Old September 15th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> the harmonic balancer (pulley) for a '94 camry appears to be about $80 from
> www.rockauto.com, but there are several possible engines in the '94 so take
> a look on their site for yourself.
> i wonder if the pulley is ok and the tip of the crank is actually bent or if
> the pulley was held on by two opposing screws and one screw fell out so it
> is sitting on an angle... if it was held on by two screws then the missing
> one may have been sheered off making it necessary to tap out the old one...
> ugh.

The last harmonic balancer replacement was on my first first Datsun Z.
It had the engine pointed in the correct position and was easy to get to
after taking off the mechanical fan.

I heard it squealing and making weird noise one day and pulled over.
That harmonic balancer was almost all the way off and had pressed the
fan into the Radiator enough to leave a swirly fan pattern, it actually
looked kind of cool and never affected the cooling that I could notice.

It also got me home without throwing the belt.

Anyway, it was an easy replacement job after taking the fan off, plenty
of room after that.

Now, about 18 years later, here is harmonic balancer replacement #2........

Pat
Old September 16th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Glad it looks 'do-able'! $100 to get back to a running vehicle is sweet
compared to where you feared, that's for sure. Sometimes good things do
happen ;-)

Update us; apparently there's NOTHING Miata related happening on the planet
;-(

Chris
99BBB

Old September 16th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

Default Is this the end? OTM question, not OT anymore

On Sep 15, 8:19*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> Glad it looks 'do-able'! $100 to get back to a running vehicle is sweet
> compared to where you feared, that's for sure. Sometimes good things do
> happen ;-)
>
> Update us; apparently there's NOTHING Miata related happening on the planet
> ;-(
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

How about an MX-5 concept car?

<snip>
Conceived and created as a way to celebrate the MX-5 Miata's 20th
anniversary – along with showcasing Mazda's focus on lightweight
performance – the Superlight's new profile and 2,194-pound curb weight
is the brainchild of the automaker's European R&D center in Oberursel,
Germany.
<snip>

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/m...-of-frankfurt/

Net
Old September 16th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Glad it looks 'do-able'! $100 to get back to a running vehicle is
> sweet compared to where you feared, that's for sure. Sometimes good
> things do happen ;-)
>
> Update us; apparently there's NOTHING Miata related happening on the
> planet ;-(

Well, I can inform you that I am about to replace the completely brown and
cracked rear window on my '96 with this cheap product. I saw a couple of
decent reviews on miata.net and figured it's worth a shot.

http://www.emiata.com/TintedWindow.asp

If anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Old September 16th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> If anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

My car's previous owner had a new piece of plastic sewn in; any boat
upholstery shop can do it on the car. I added some tent seam sealer on
the needle holes, and it's still fine 12 years later. The zipper went
south years ago, so I use a rolled towel instead of unzipping. As seldom
as my top is up (circa one day, once a year), it just isn't any sort of
priority for me.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO