1.6 timing belt

Old September 2nd 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default 1.6 timing belt

hi,

i may have the chance to trade doing a 91 1.6 timing belt for some
upholstery work.
clearly i have done the 1.8 timing belt a few times , is there any
thing vastly different doing the 1.6? i think it would be a good idea
to do the water pump at the same time. but other than that, is the 1.6
tb fairly straight forward?

tia,
peter
Old September 2nd 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

peter wrote:
> hi,
>
> i may have the chance to trade doing a 91 1.6 timing belt for some
> upholstery work.
> clearly i have done the 1.8 timing belt a few times , is there any
> thing vastly different doing the 1.6? i think it would be a good idea
> to do the water pump at the same time. but other than that, is the 1.6
> tb fairly straight forward?
>
> tia,
> peter

I assume that you know about the potential crank issue with 1990 and
early 1991 models.
Beyond that possibility, it is the same job.

Pat
Old September 2nd 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Sep 2, 12:50*pm, pws > wrote:

> I assume that you know about the potential crank issue with 1990 and
> early 1991 models.

no kindly enlighten me (is this the cam shaft issue i have heard
about but never really listened to?)

> Beyond that possibility, it is the same job.

thanks,
i appreciate your reply.
peter
Old September 4th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Sep 2, 12:50*pm, pws > wrote:

> I assume that you know about the potential crank issue with 1990 and
> early 1991 models.

sorry i didnt have my glasses when i first read this post and i
thought you said crack issue rather than crank.
please tell me more about this...what to look for (before, during
after ), and what can be done to avoid/rectify it

thanks,
[peter
Old September 4th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
peter > wrote:

> > I assume that you know about the potential crank issue with 1990 and
> > early 1991 models.

> sorry i didnt have my glasses when i first read this post and i
> thought you said crack issue rather than crank.
> please tell me more about this...what to look for (before, during
> after ), and what can be done to avoid/rectify it

You need to spend a few hours a miata.net, Peter. The Garage section has
everything you need.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old September 5th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> You need to spend a few hours a miata.net, Peter. The Garage section has
> everything you need.

A quick link if you don't feel like searching, though "1990 crankshaft"
in the Miata.net search engine will work fast.

http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Pat
Old September 5th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Another one that explains the differences between 1990 - 1991 models and
then for 1992 and up to at least 1997, probably until 2005.

http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

Not sure if the NB or the NC do the timing belt setup any differently
from the 1992 to 1997 models or not.
My guess is that at least the 199-2005 models are the same design in
that area as the 1992 to 1997 models.

Also, iirc, not all 1991 Miatas had the crankshaft issue.

It seems like it was only up to a certain VIN, and that the problem was
fixed during the 1991 year model production run, but I don't remember
for certain.

Pat
Old September 6th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default a/f meter -> 1.6 timing belt

On Sep 4, 6:57*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *peter > wrote:
> > > I assume that you know about the potential crank issue with 1990 and
> > > early 1991 models.

> > sorry i didnt have my glasses when i first read this post and i
> > thought you said crack issue rather than crank.
> > please tell me more about this...what to look for (before, during
> > after ), and what can be done to avoid/rectify it

> You need to spend a few hours a miata.net, Peter. The Garage section has
> everything you need.

it was/is a good over there. i started thinking, i might be better
off getting hog nose pliers (i think that is the name of the tool)
and a used seat cover for my other car and spend time leanring that
rather than working on someone else's miata.

i forget about miata net sometimes as i get to work on the miata at
spotic times...now that it is running, i am sure there will be more
time to fiddle with one thing or the other.

speaking of which, i hav a j&s timing and a/f meter which i believe
leon gave me a long time ago and it seems to be missing a plug. from
the diagram,

http://jandssafeguard.com/Archive_In...Black_Box.html

(move all the way to the right),
i can not figure out which wire is the ground and which is the signal
because the meter has one end of a plug with two twisted black wires,
anyone familiar with this meter?

thanks,
peter
Old September 6th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Sep 5, 3:46*pm, pws > wrote:
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
> > You need to spend a few hours a miata.net, Peter. The Garage section has
> > everything you need.

> A quick link if you don't feel like searching, though "1990 crankshaft"
> in the Miata.net search engine will work fast.
>
> http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

thanks,
i didnot see this article at all. i will read it now

peter
Old September 6th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

peter wrote:

> thanks,
> i didnot see this article at all. i will read it now
>
> peter

No problem, miata.net is nice to read over through and through, but it
takes some time.

Us old timers who have been using the miata.net as a reference for over
10 years can usually point you in the right direction.

This newsgroup is a decent source of miata knowledge, but the
moderated,(ugh, moderated is a 4 letter word)), discussion boards on
miata.net will almost always get knowledgeable answers for you quickly.

Oh yeah, good luck! Did you find out the VIN of the miata that you will
be doing the change on?

Pat