Low Engine Coolant Light

Old October 28th 04, 09:33 PM
jmthomp1

Default Low Engine Coolant Light

I have a 99SL2 that has recently started having the Low Coolant/Auto
Transaxle Fluid Temp warning light flash for the first few minutes of
operation after starting. Just does it now and then and stops after about
half a mile. The coolant level is normal. Do you think the sensor is going
bad ?

Old November 14th 04, 05:18 AM
Jigger

I just started having the same problem with a 94SL1... The resevoir seems
full, but the hoses seem quite soft.. Now I'm no mechanic, and I don't get
how I am supposed to add fluid to the rad when there is no rad cap!! Any
ideas?? What am I missing?? Thanks, M.

--
'04 Ram 3500 Cummins SLT
'94 Saturn SL1

Old November 14th 04, 06:06 AM
Roy

You fill the resevoir to the max line.

Old November 14th 04, 01:47 PM
Napalm Heart

The reservoir is the plastic tank that has the words engine coolant
only on the cap. There are levels marked on the side of the tank.

Ken

Old November 14th 04, 02:54 PM
Terry

"Jigger" > wrote in message
>I just started having the same problem with a 94SL1... The resevoir seems
> full, but the hoses seem quite soft.. Now I'm no mechanic, and I don't get
> how I am supposed to add fluid to the rad when there is no rad cap!! Any
> ideas?? What am I missing?? Thanks, M.
>

> --
> '04 Ram 3500 Cummins SLT
> '94 Saturn SL1
> '79 Yamaha 650 Special
>

> "jmthomp1" > wrote in message
>> I have a 99SL2 that has recently started having the Low Coolant/Auto
>> Transaxle Fluid Temp warning light flash for the first few minutes of
>> operation after starting. Just does it now and then and stops after

> about
>> half a mile. The coolant level is normal. Do you think the sensor is

> going
>> bad ?

I've had a similar problem with my 2000 Saturn wagon, the 'fill resevoir'
light
has been on, I took it to a garage, they tested it, said the coolant was
full, must be
a defective warning light. This car only has 40K on it, but I suppose
anything is possible.
I've noticed some coolant on the garage floor, though the overflow resevoir
stays full-- what else could be going on?

Thanks,

Terry M.

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon (wife)
1968 Chevy Camaro 383 stroker (me)
1998 Chevy Malibu (daughter

Old November 14th 04, 04:46 PM
Blah blah

In article <4lKld.405267$D%.338893@attbi_s51>,
says...
> "Jigger" > wrote in message
> >I just started having the same problem with a 94SL1... The resevoir seems
> > full, but the hoses seem quite soft.. Now I'm no mechanic, and I don't get
> > how I am supposed to add fluid to the rad when there is no rad cap!! Any
> > ideas?? What am I missing?? Thanks, M.
> >

> > --
> > '04 Ram 3500 Cummins SLT
> > '94 Saturn SL1
> > '79 Yamaha 650 Special
> >

> > "jmthomp1" > wrote in message
> >> I have a 99SL2 that has recently started having the Low Coolant/Auto
> >> Transaxle Fluid Temp warning light flash for the first few minutes of
> >> operation after starting. Just does it now and then and stops after

> > about
> >> half a mile. The coolant level is normal. Do you think the sensor is

> > going
> >> bad ?
> >>

> I've had a similar problem with my 2000 Saturn wagon, the 'fill resevoir'
> light
> has been on, I took it to a garage, they tested it, said the coolant was
> full, must be
> a defective warning light. This car only has 40K on it, but I suppose
> anything is possible.
> I've noticed some coolant on the garage floor, though the overflow resevoir
> stays full-- what else could be going on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Terry M.
>
> 2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon (wife)
> 1968 Chevy Camaro 383 stroker (me)
> 1998 Chevy Malibu (daughter

I'm not sure how pressurized overflow bottles on S series Saturns work
and I forget off hand what the L series uses. Typically what happens is
when the engine is warm fluids are pushed into the bottle past the
radiator cap. As the engine cools it draws the fluids past the radiator
cap and back into the engine. If there is a leak, often its easier for
the engine push fluids through the leak and suck air in through the leak
because its less restrictive and easier to go through the leak than
through the radiator cap. This is where a lot of people run into
trouble. They never de-cap their radiator to notice its low because the
overflow bottle is always full.

Old November 15th 04, 04:08 AM
BANDIT2941

>If there is a leak, often its easier for
>the engine push fluids through the leak and suck air in through the leak
>because its less restrictive and easier to go through the leak than
>through the radiator cap. This is where a lot of people run into
>trouble. They never de-cap their radiator to notice its low because the
>overflow bottle is always full.

Yeah - and an air pocket is very bad news - a quick way to melt stuff.
Old November 15th 04, 11:54 AM
Terry

"Blah blah" > wrote in message
> In article <4lKld.405267$D%.338893@attbi_s51>,
> says...
>> "Jigger" > wrote in message
>> >I just started having the same problem with a 94SL1... The resevoir
>> >seems
>> > full, but the hoses seem quite soft.. Now I'm no mechanic, and I don't
>> > get
>> > how I am supposed to add fluid to the rad when there is no rad cap!!
>> > Any
>> > ideas?? What am I missing?? Thanks, M.
>> >

>> > --
>> > '04 Ram 3500 Cummins SLT
>> > '94 Saturn SL1
>> > '79 Yamaha 650 Special
>> >

>> > "jmthomp1" > wrote in message
>> > about
>> > going
>> >>

>> I've had a similar problem with my 2000 Saturn wagon, the 'fill resevoir'
>> light
>> has been on, I took it to a garage, they tested it, said the coolant was
>> full, must be
>> a defective warning light. This car only has 40K on it, but I suppose
>> anything is possible.
>> I've noticed some coolant on the garage floor, though the overflow
>> resevoir
>> stays full-- what else could be going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Terry M.
>>
>> 2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon (wife)
>> 1968 Chevy Camaro 383 stroker (me)
>> 1998 Chevy Malibu (daughter

> I'm not sure how pressurized overflow bottles on S series Saturns work
> and I forget off hand what the L series uses. Typically what happens is
> when the engine is warm fluids are pushed into the bottle past the
> radiator cap. As the engine cools it draws the fluids past the radiator
> cap and back into the engine. If there is a leak, often its easier for
> the engine push fluids through the leak and suck air in through the leak
> because its less restrictive and easier to go through the leak than
> through the radiator cap. This is where a lot of people run into
> trouble. They never de-cap their radiator to notice its low because the
> overflow bottle is always full.

I just ahad a look at the radiator, there's no cap, no way to visibly
inspect
the radiator--

Old November 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Blah blah

The bottle is the top of your radiator (should have a hose going to
your radiator or to a high point in the system). The highest point of
your cooling system is where all the air will go. Sometimes they add
bleed screws at other high points to help purge air out if the air cant
make it to the bottle.

In article <zN0md.340061$wV.68746@attbi_s54>,
says...