Logitech G25: is it easily removable?

Old January 14th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Default Logitech G25: is it easily removable?

Jeff Reid wrote:
>> The G25 sounds really good, but I would like to know if it's easy to
>> remove the thing from my desktop when not in use.

> If I left a wheel clamped onto my desk and my wife wanted to use the
> computer, I'm sure she'd find the G25 easily removable, but I'd never
> be able to use it again.

That's exactly why I want to remove the wheel myself after use..

Cheers, Hans

Old January 14th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Andre Warringa wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:59:17 +0100, "Hans de Heer"
> > wrote:
>

>>Since my Logitech Momo has gone bad (gas pedal floored only results in 80%
>>throttle or so.. have to see if cleaning will help) I might be looking for
>>an upgrade soon.
>>The G25 sounds really good, but I would like to know if it's easy to remove
>>the thing from my desktop when not in use. Is it like my Logitech Momo, the
>>screw on the bottom and the two clamps from the top? Since I do not have a
>>dedicated simracing box, this is important to me. I really don't wanna type
>>emails with the wheel attached in front of me... and I'm pretty sure my wife
>>is even more opposed to doing so...

> It's not, and for me it's the biggest flaw of the G25. There are 4
> cables coming out of the G25. If you want to remove the unit, you have
> to pick up the pedals, the steer and the shifter unit all at once.
> This isn't really an option if you want to handle the units a bit
> carefully.

I don't understand... First I remove the shifter unit and put it on the
floor next to the desk, then I remove the wheel and put it next to the
shifter unit (the cables are long enough for that, no need to remove them).
The pedal unit stays where it was. If you're putting the whole unit away,
you're either too worried about a clean looking computer room, or you're not
racing often enough...

l8er
ronny

Damn, I really have to get off my ass to build that cockpit sometime. It would
put an end to "unclamping" the unit for good...
Old January 14th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Hans de Heer

Ronald Stoehr wrote:
> I don't understand... First I remove the shifter unit and put it on
> the floor next to the desk, then I remove the wheel and put it next to the
> shifter unit (the cables are long enough for that, no need to remove
> them). The pedal unit stays where it was.

That sounds like a good solution too. Thanks.
First of all I'm gonna try to fix my Momo Racing, the problem seems to be
quite generic:

http://web.axelero.hu/mozso/momo_e5.html

Cheers, Hans

Old January 14th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rod[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:03:39 +0100, "Hans de Heer"
> wrote:

>Rod wrote:
>> Very easy and painless. 2 thumbscrews at the top of each device and
>> the clamping mechanism is surprisingly good.

>Okay, so the problem might be the cabling, see Andre's reply. Thanks for
>your input!

Cabling isn't so much of an issue for me so that's probably why
it completely slipped my mind. It's just an extra few cables in my
already cable nightmare that are my PC's. :P

Cheers,
Rod.
Old January 15th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andre Warringa

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:03:05 +0100, "Hans de Heer"
> wrote:

>My desk is long enough to do that too. So is it possible to shift wheel and
>gearshifter units 50cm to (in my case) the right without removing the
>cabling?
>
>Cheers, Hans

That's no problem, I simply unplug the usb cable and shift the units
allmost a meter to the left. Power cable is long enough to keep it
plugged in.

By the way, I'm sure you read some negative reviews about the shifter
unit being a bit loose and short. I really had to get used to it too,
but after a couple of weeks playing it becomes second nature.
The only thing I still don't like about the wheel is the loud noise of
the shifter unit when you shift gears.

Cheers
Andre

Old January 15th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andre Warringa

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:27:17 +0100, Ronald Stoehr
> wrote:

>I don't understand... First I remove the shifter unit and put it on the
>floor next to the desk, then I remove the wheel and put it next to the
>shifter unit (the cables are long enough for that, no need to remove them).
>The pedal unit stays where it was. If you're putting the whole unit away,
>you're either too worried about a clean looking computer room, or you're not
>racing often enough...
>
>l8er
>ronny
>
>Damn, I really have to get off my ass to build that cockpit sometime. It would
>put an end to "unclamping" the unit for good...

No you have a point, the way you do it is also an option. I was indeed
talking about totally removing the wheel. I don't want to have it
lying on the floor, I have 3 dogs and a cat who eat ANYTHING that's
lying on the floor..

Cheers
Andre
Old January 15th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andre Warringa

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:30:51 +0100, "Hans de Heer"
> wrote:

>http://web.axelero.hu/mozso/momo_e5.html
>
>Cheers, Hans

Great guide.. but forget fixing that wheel and buy a G25
Seriously, you won't regret it, especially not if you have the Racing
version of the Momo

Cheers
Andre

Old January 15th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

I'd be for finding a MS sidewinder FF wheel, that is what I have and still
love it... Long live red version 2, knock on wood.

I know, has a quirk, i fyou have xp pre service pack 2 release it works
fine, if ya dont there is a hiccup with the "profiles" but afaik you can get
around it.

Hans de Heer enlightened us with:

Old January 15th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr Q

Andre Warringa wrote:
> That's no problem, I simply unplug the usb cable and shift the units
> allmost a meter to the left. Power cable is long enough to keep it
> plugged in.

While I love my G25, it is a PITA to setup and put away. Moving it to
one side isn't possible for me as the pedal cables are just too short (I
can't believe Logitech didn't get any feedback on this before release).
I've found I do less racing now than I did with the old red Momo because
of this.

Of course, once it IS set up it's brilliant and it tends to stay setup
for days at a time while I struggle to type around it.

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old January 15th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

The G25 is really easy to remove if you have a rounded edge desk. Just
attach, tighten, and take your eyes off it. It will fall off all by itself

Actually, to be honest, it's not as bad as the DFP (the DFP for me really
WAS as described above). Both wheels are sans middle clamp, which is pure
stupidity in design and the only real thing I can gripe about hardware wise
with the G25 wheel.

Now, getting a bit more serious, the G25 setup is time consuming to set up
and take down. First, there are 3 parts. The wheel, pedals and shifter.

And you have to plug everything into a recess on the bottom of the wheel
BEFORE you attach the wheel. It would have been far better if the would
have left the connectors on the edges of teh wheen where you could get to
them mounted.

Would I still buy it? Sure.

Is it a pain in the ass to set up and take down? Yep

-Larry