EGR error 1406

Old September 20th 05, 06:12 PM

Default EGR error 1406

Got a service engine soon light about a 2months ago.. took off the egr
valve and found it to be really carboned up.
Cleaned the ports and the manafold and put the old valve back on. It
ran for about a month and the same problem again.. Replaced with a new
valve and another cleaning.. after 30 days got the same error today.
What can cause this?? It must be something that is causing the carbon
build up?? gas?? plugs?? throttle body??
Air Filter??
The car runs good and get like 38MPG.. 96 saturn sc2

Old September 20th 05, 06:21 PM
Bob Shuman

How much oil is the vehicle consuming? Is the PCV valve functioning
properly?

I had cleaned out my son's EGR ('96 SL1) and it fixed the problem for about
15K miles. I then broke down and we replaced the EGR with a new one. We
only have about 5-10K miles since then so I can't tell you if the problem
will return.

I am assuming you had the SEL code scanned and it indicted the EGR (code 32,
IIRC) so you know this is the culprit?

Bob

oups.com...

Old September 20th 05, 10:56 PM

the code was P1406
We are tunung it today and changing the pvc and plugs

Old September 21st 05, 05:07 AM

yes I read the stuff on seafoam but don't think I'll do that.. Use to
do it many mnay years ago with a car and a carburetor using a product
call mobile upperlube. Just manully held the throttle open and poured
it down the barrel ever so slowly trying not to kill the engine.. All
kinds of white smoke would come out the exhaust and you would keep this
up until you had gone through the pint. Worked great but things are
different now a days.

Old September 21st 05, 01:24 PM

I'll have to check it out.. Thanks!!!