New Charger ad, more crap

Old October 15th 05, 01:00 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

66 6F HCS wrote:
> "ZombyWoof" > wrote
>>> *sigh* a cool two seater with 400+ hp from a GM division other than
>>> Chevrolet (vette) is likely not gonna happen...
>>>

>> Ain't no likely about it. The Vette will always be at the top of the
>> GM food chain.

> I beg to differ, even though I also bleed Ford corporate blue, the Cadillac
> STS-V has 469hp and 439lb/ft out of a 4.4L Northstar. It's not a Corvette.
> It's much less displacement than the less powerful 6.0L LS2 'vette motor,
> and it's smaller than the mod motors from the blue oval. That sounds like a
> factory badass muscle car to me.

The more appropriate statement would have been "GM will never offer
equal or better performance than a Vette for near the same or less
money". The Caddy is in another league from a price/technology standpoint.
Old October 15th 05, 01:47 AM
Grumbler

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote:
> I don't see the importance about building the bike you ride.

It's not about the importance, but the satisfaction of building
a custom chopper or whatever else from a stock motorcycle
in your own garage. Built my first one back in the late '60s.

> The vast majority of ALL riders don't build their bikes.

Was referring to custom choppers, not regular motorcycles.

> Why invest the time and money into a one-off project?

Because it's a fun project to do. If you're just going to
look at it as a waste of time and money then that's
your choice.

> I could say the same about the house you live in. I doubt you built it
> yourself and I don't care one way or the other anyhow.

Apples and oranges.

> As for a person's motives for riding, why should anyone care?

It's not about caring about their motives. Just an observation.

-=G

Old October 15th 05, 01:49 AM
Grumbler

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote:
> Doesn't bother me at all. It is when I'm in town that the better hearing
> pays off in spades.

No ear plugs to protect your hearing at the higher speeds?

I don't go into town much what with being more into riding
on the backroads.

-=G

Old October 15th 05, 01:57 AM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> 66 6F HCS wrote:
>> "ZombyWoof" > wrote
>>>>
>>> Ain't no likely about it. The Vette will always be at the top of
>>> the GM food chain.

>> I beg to differ, even though I also bleed Ford corporate blue, the
>> Cadillac STS-V has 469hp and 439lb/ft out of a 4.4L Northstar. It's
>> not a Corvette. It's much less displacement than the less powerful
>> 6.0L LS2 'vette motor, and it's smaller than the mod motors from the
>> blue oval. That sounds like a factory badass muscle car to me.

> The more appropriate statement would have been "GM will never offer
> equal or better performance than a Vette for near the same or less
> money". The Caddy is in another league from a price/technology
> standpoint.

Whoa, let's back up a bit here. GM's 4.4 blown Northstar puts out
469hp? And what's Ford's blown 4.6 doing? Hmm...
Old October 15th 05, 03:04 AM
Rich

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:55:45 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Ummm, you got some sort of thing for old guys on Harleys??? I've been
>riding bikes since before you were a smudge on the sheets...
>
>Ain't nobody rockin' your boat... leave it that way...
>

>FWIW, at least not all Canadians are dorks like some......... 'tard, indeed.

Buying a Harley when Japanese and Italian bikes are available
certainly speaks volumes about the brain size of some people.
-Rich
Old October 15th 05, 03:05 AM
Rich

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:57:38 -0400, Ritz > wrote:

wrote:
>> Mutilating that classic rock song into rap crap,
>> then showing some YUPPIE Charger driver fantasizing that
>> little kids on bikes are 'tards on Harleys.
>> It's bad enough seeing 40+ year old YUPPIES actually RIDING
>> Harleys, complete with those ridiculous "half-helmets" they use
>> to look like "rebels."
>> Someone please wake me from this consumerist nightmare, please?
>> Bring back REAL muscle cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>425hp V8 rear wheel drive sedan seems like a muscle car to me.

I know. There are also people out there who buy pickup trucks
with powerful engines that will never be used for hauling loads
of lumber. It's sad, isn't it?
-Rich
Old October 15th 05, 03:08 AM
Rich

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:53:51 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:

>SVTKate wrote:
>> Uhhhh....
>> I haven't seen the commercial but...
>> those 40 something guys on Harleys are the ones that have been riding them
>> for the last 20-30 years.
>> They are the ones that took the Harley from a bad image to a great ride.
>>
>> How many punk kids do you see riding a Harley? Because ?
>> The half helmets are a compliance thing, not a fashion statement.
>> i.e.: "I'll wear it if I have to but I will wear as little as possible and
>> be comfortable while I'm at it"

>I like the half helmet because it is lighter, cooler and, most of all, I
>can hear much better.

At what point to you graft the German cross on the top?
-Rich
Old October 15th 05, 03:08 AM
Rich

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:29:41 -0600, "Grumbler" >
wrote:

>"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote:
>> I like the half helmet because it is lighter, cooler and, most of all, I
>> can hear much better.

>How's your hearing at 75mph with the wind
>barreling into your eardrums? :-)
>
>-=Grumbler

Never mind the wind! How about the Harley bike SOUND?
Never has so little horsepower made so much noise.
-Rich

Old October 15th 05, 03:10 AM
ZombyWoof

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:58:53 GMT, "SVTKate" >
wrote:

>Uhhhh....
>I haven't seen the commercial but...
>those 40 something guys on Harleys are the ones that have been riding them
>for the last 20-30 years.
>They are the ones that took the Harley from a bad image to a great ride.

Were also the ones who kept the company alive during the dark days of
AMF and turned the revitalized one into a stock market darling. Glad
I got in early on that one.

>How many punk kids do you see riding a Harley? Because ?

They are into the urban hippity-hop gangster crotchrockets and can't
afford 15K plus for a new scooter.

>The half helmets are a compliance thing, not a fashion statement.
>i.e.: "I'll wear it if I have to but I will wear as little as possible and
>be comfortable while I'm at it"

That is part of it, it is also a comfort issue for others as well. On
top of that those full-face helmets are a real bitch for us old
geezers & our glasses.

>Sounds to me like YOU are the rebel without a clue.

Oui, but of course.

>Oh, yea AND.... those 40 something Yuppies ARE the target market because WE
>are the ones that drove the originals and WE are the ones that can afford
>the new cars.

We also have the disposable income and respect the heritage. We know
that to be an American and keep Americans employed you need to buy
American products. Why the hell do you think the Harley styling has
been ripped off so much by the Jap Cruiser market?

>You have your own generation, make your own classics. If you don't like the
>charger that's your perogative, a lot of other people don't. Just because it
>has 4 doors doesn't mean it isn't muscle..

Hell we are the living classics. By the way I just bought an `06 EG
Classic. Thing is to damn quiet and I've got to get some new mufflers
just to make it sound like a Harley. Damn EPA & CARB rules.
>Kate

roups.com...

--
Zombywoof

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
Old October 15th 05, 03:10 AM
Rich

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:10:27 -0400, Ritz > wrote:

>Grumbler wrote:
>> "SVTKate" > wrote:
>>
>>>I haven't seen the commercial but...
>>>those 40 something guys on Harleys are the ones that have been riding them
>>>for the last 20-30 years.
>>>They are the ones that took the Harley from a bad image to a great ride.

>> Have seen the commercial, and every single one of those
>> bikes is a custom chopper, not a stock Harley-Davidson.
>>
>> Many, if not most, of those 40-something guys who can
>> afford to spend $30K to $150K on a custom chopper
>> have very little riding experience. If they did, it was before
>> marriage and family.
>>
>> They don't even know how to countersteer a motorcycle,
>> and those of us with decades of experience consider many
>> of those owners to be clueless RUBs riding butt jewelry.
>>
>> Sure, there's also *real* bikers riding those types of bikes,
>> but they usually built it themselves. If you ever go to Sturgis
>> during the rally, you'd be astonished at the number of RVs
>> and motorcycle trailers parked all over the place.
>>
>> Motorcycling is supposed to be about getting away from it all,
>> but all too many are into it for ego gratification, and may never
>> have to replace the rear tires as they rarely ride their Garage
>> Queens. Too busy making money or something. ;^)

>I see Chuck Zito fairly frequently on his custom chopper (which I'm sure
>he didn't build) when he's not driving his custom vette. Perhaps you'd
>like to meet him in person and take issue with his "butt jewelery."
>Bring a medic.
>
>Cheers,

He'll probably appear in "Dub" magazine at some point.
-Rich