Pity Chrysler (was, The Dukes of Hazzard)

Old August 10th 05, 07:22 AM
Spike

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:10:07 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>> As long as, in an English speaking nation as this is supposed to be, I
>> don't have to make the choice to continue in English.

>It's all about the free market. Companies know there is money to be
>made from the Hispanic community, hence they make sure their marketing
>and customer service attracts and keeps them as patrons. As a business
>owner, I would do the same if it meant I would have a more profitable
>business. After all, it is the American way.

No argument... money talks.

Did you see on the news today that in two states they are offering
cheap home loans specifically targeted at illegal aliens? One state is
putting up $15M. Something like 10 banks are already on the bandwagon.

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
Old August 10th 05, 06:19 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Spike wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:10:07 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> > wrote:
>

>>Spike wrote:
>>
>>>As long as, in an English speaking nation as this is supposed to be, I
>>>don't have to make the choice to continue in English.

>>It's all about the free market. Companies know there is money to be
>>made from the Hispanic community, hence they make sure their marketing
>>and customer service attracts and keeps them as patrons. As a business
>>owner, I would do the same if it meant I would have a more profitable
>>business. After all, it is the American way.

> No argument... money talks.
>
> Did you see on the news today that in two states they are offering
> cheap home loans specifically targeted at illegal aliens? One state is
> putting up $15M. Something like 10 banks are already on the bandwagon.

Yeah, I read about that too. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can
see the good and bad in it. The whole immigration thing is a tough
issue for me. If you look at the history of this country, especially in
the 1800s and early 1900s, we had a wide open immigration policy. The
huge influx of people is what made us a great nation. Even then there
was strain from such a large population increase.

The Irish and many other nationalities were treated horribly for decades
but they assimilated over time. In many ways I see the Hispanics in the
same light. We think they aren't assimilating but that takes at least a
generation to happen. They do come here and work extremely hard doing
jobs the rest of us will not take. I know that in my area of
Washington, DC if it weren't for Hispanic labor we couldn't get a
shopping center or house built, served at a fast food restaurant, car
washed etc. Personally, I think they are providing vital services that
is making our economy robust.

Plus, if it wasn't for immigration our population would be stagnant. We
would be in the same situation as many European countries - that being
stagnant economic grow. Too many of us think that the Hispanics that
come here should immediately become just like us and speak English but
that, in reality, isn't possible. When I think of the Hispanics I know
personally, they are very religious, have strong family values, have an
amazing work ethic, appreciate and have a love for the good old USA and
are not looking for handouts but just an opportunity to work and live a
good life. Now if that isn't assimilating to our way of life then what
is it?

My solution to the immigration problem is to first tighten up our
border, then document and let into the country as many immigrants from
Central and South America as we need or can reasonable absorb. The ones
that are already here need to step forward and register. If they don't
and are caught, then they are deported and can't return for 10 years.
The ones that register and work here for 7-10 years can then apply for
citizenship. This way i feel we can all come out winners.
Old August 10th 05, 10:13 PM
Spike

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:19:47 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
> wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:10:07 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE"
>> > wrote:

>>>It's all about the free market. Companies know there is money to be
>>>made from the Hispanic community, hence they make sure their marketing
>>>and customer service attracts and keeps them as patrons. As a business
>>>owner, I would do the same if it meant I would have a more profitable
>>>business. After all, it is the American way.

>> No argument... money talks.
>>
>> Did you see on the news today that in two states they are offering
>> cheap home loans specifically targeted at illegal aliens? One state is
>> putting up $15M. Something like 10 banks are already on the bandwagon.

>Yeah, I read about that too. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I can
>see the good and bad in it. The whole immigration thing is a tough
>issue for me. If you look at the history of this country, especially in
>the 1800s and early 1900s, we had a wide open immigration policy. The
>huge influx of people is what made us a great nation. Even then there
>was strain from such a large population increase.
>
>The Irish and many other nationalities were treated horribly for decades
>but they assimilated over time. In many ways I see the Hispanics in the
>same light. We think they aren't assimilating but that takes at least a
>generation to happen. They do come here and work extremely hard doing
>jobs the rest of us will not take. I know that in my area of
>Washington, DC if it weren't for Hispanic labor we couldn't get a
>shopping center or house built, served at a fast food restaurant, car
>washed etc. Personally, I think they are providing vital services that
>is making our economy robust.

There's no doubt we need them as a labor force. It would take another
Great Depression to get most "Americans" to do the type of labor they
do. So, i have no problem with work visas. One of my friends is here
from Ireland on a work visa. He sorta gets screwed in some ways. Like
they withhold for unemployment, but he isn't entitled to unemployment
if he loses his job. He has x number of days to find new work or
leave. And I'm not against immigration per se, though I think it needs
to be tightened down a bit. My grandparents new neighbors came from
Italy. They opened a pizza joint. Within 6 months they added a dress
shop, then a shoe store, and another pizza place, and a steak place,
then headed for other towns. The parents worked like slaves. The next
generation worked hard. They ones my age were too busy with their new
cars and such. Today, they drive Ferraris and Vipers, and Lambroghini
on the money they inherited.

My problem is that those two states are a) violating federal law, b)
rewarding people for breaking the law, and thus, c) encouraging others
to break the law as well. While at the same time, low income citizens
can't qualify for similar assistance.