JD Powers APEAL Brand rankings

Old October 18th 04, 11:39 PM
Ramone Cila

Default JD Powers APEAL Brand rankings

A funny thing happened to BMW's new designs on the way to the poor-house. JD
Powers found (according to their polling rationale) out that BMW ranked 4th
in the world is terms of cars most coveted by the auto-buying public (Lexus,
Porsche and Caddie are ahead) and the 2004 5 series and 2004 7 series are
the most desirable cars in their respective segments. The 6, 3, and X3 were
nowhere to be found. X5 took a third in luxury SUV. I happen to like the 6,
I'm surprised the buyers polled did not.

In a related article on carconnection they did an interesting article on
sales. While it seems the 2004 E60 is outselling the 1997 E39 for first year
sales it is definitely not outselling the 2003 E39. But they did a bit of
research and found that as a portion over overall global sedan sales the
2004 E60 is doing significantly better than the 2003 E39 in terms of share.
I had never looked at it that way. I don't even know if it is relevant, but
I suspect when people point to comparative sales as a way of saying the new
designs are not being welcomed or accepted, it does seem appropriate to put
the sales figures into some kind of context that recognizes the market each
model was selling in.

After all, as most of us know, the year the Babe hit 60, no other ***team***
in the league had an equal number. Now...that's context :^)

Just to keep the whole JD Powers thing in perspective though......they also
report that the Dodge HD is more appealing to the mainstream that the F-350.
And that's freakin' nutty, unless all you do is parade around in your
pickup.

Old October 18th 04, 11:55 PM
tech27

"Ramone Cila" > wrote in message
> BMW ranked 4th
> in the world is terms of cars most coveted by the auto-buying public
> (Lexus,
> Porsche and Caddie are ahead) and the 2004 5 series and 2004 7 series are
> the most desirable cars in their respective segments.

So Cadillac is more coveted than BMW. That's where you stop reading the
poll and put it in the same trash heap as the ad for the Lincoln that says
it apparently outperforms the 5 in one particular narrow spec (not counting
# of outside antennae or glove box space).

Who did they poll? Probably a trailer park in backwoods Arkansas where they
probably don't know what a BMW is, but would like to have a "Porch".