Anyone ever transplant an M2 steering column into an M1 ?

Old September 19th 04, 04:28 PM
Chief_Wiggum

Default Anyone ever transplant an M2 steering column into an M1 ?

Just curious if anyone has ever put a new style column (and wheel) into an
older Miata...

Seems like it would be a pretty easy upgrade, if you found a nice
donor-column Of course, if all the mount points, etc are drastically
different then I guess it WOULDN'T be too easy

There's GOT to be a way to get an M2 wheel on an M1 !!!

Old September 20th 04, 12:05 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chief_Wiggum" > wrote:

>Just curious if anyone has ever put a new style column (and wheel) into an
>older Miata...
>
>Seems like it would be a pretty easy upgrade, if you found a nice
>donor-column Of course, if all the mount points, etc are drastically
>different then I guess it WOULDN'T be too easy
>
>There's GOT to be a way to get an M2 wheel on an M1 !!!

Unfortunately, replacing the steering wheel column does not help
too much. The problem remains that Mazda claims there are
"electrical differences" between airbags. You want to take your
chances without knowing what those "differences" are?

In any case, I really think my aftermarket airbag steering wheel
looks better than the M2 one anyway. At least, it looks *really*
good lying in my trunk while I work in the yard cleaning up
various junk and leaks left behind by Charley, Frances, and Ivan.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 20th 04, 02:30 AM
Chief_Wiggum

I agree your wheel looks good. I just can't see dropping ~$600.00 on a
steering wheel!

Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Steering column grinding / squeaking noise when turning right Ed Jones VW air cooled 2 January 2nd 05 10:45 AM
Honda CRV-EX (CPO): Clicking in steering column Jose Honda 2 October 21st 04 02:54 PM