The CARS thing -- Couldn't do it!

Old August 6th 09, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Default The CARS thing -- Couldn't do it!

Lesson on how we get brain softened by our cars.

Years ago my daughter said, "Dad, I love my
car." I was hard-hearted and told her that
loving a car was nonsense. After all, it's just
iron and paint. Don't ever fall in love with a car!

Our Chevy dealer keeps everything in a database
and last week a sales guy calls and says my
driver @ 18mpg EPA, qualified as a 'clunker' and
he could give me $ 3500-4500 over a generous
salvage allowance.

Sounded attractive. Then I saw a TV shot of
someone pouring sodium silicate in the crankcase
of an F-150 and waiting for the engine to seize.

They actually *killed* it, right on TV.

Ouch! It got me -- stab in the heart. Couldn't
do it. I would have cried and, more than if I
had to kill one of the horses.

--
pj
Old August 7th 09, 04:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Got that right. No gearhead can stand to see a work of art that is an
engine, destroyed like that.

Obama is a heathen.

Vito

Old August 7th 09, 02:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> Got that right. No gearhead can stand to see a work of art that is an
> engine, destroyed like that.
>
> Obama is a heathen.
>
> Vito

Congress wrote and passed the law, with significant a significant number of
Republicans voting for it. Typical of ideologically-mesmerized idiots to
want to blame everything they don't like on a President. Democrats did the
same thing to Bush (i.e.Cheney).

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old August 7th 09, 03:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Aug 7, 9:31*am, "CardsFan" > wrote:
> "Uncle_vito" > wrote in message

> > Got that right. *No gearhead can stand to see a work of art that is an
> > engine, destroyed like that.

> > Obama is a heathen.

> > Vito

> Congress wrote and passed the law, with significant a significant number of
> Republicans voting for it. *Typical of ideologically-mesmerized idiots to
> want to blame everything they don't like on a President. Democrats did the
> same thing to Bush (i.e.Cheney).
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
>

> > "pj" > wrote in message
> >> Lesson on how we get brain softened by our cars.

> >> Years ago my daughter said, "Dad, I love my car." *I was hard-hearted and
> >> told her that loving a car was nonsense. *After all, it's just iron and
> >> paint. Don't ever fall in love with a car!

> >> Our Chevy dealer keeps everything in a database and last week a sales guy
> >> calls and says my driver @ 18mpg EPA, qualified as a 'clunker' and he
> >> could give me $ 3500-4500 over a generous salvage allowance.

> >> Sounded attractive. *Then I saw a TV shot of someone pouring sodium
> >> silicate in the crankcase of an F-150 and waiting for the engine to
> >> seize.

> >> They actually *killed* it, right on TV.

> >> Ouch! It got me -- stab in the heart. Couldn't do it. *I would have cried
> >> and, more than if I had to kill one of the horses.

> >> --
> >> pj

There are a couple of things wrong with this. They are using taxpayer
funds paid by people who already bought economical vehicles and
rewarded those with gas guzzlers. OK, I can live with that.

If they were thinking (a lot to ask of Congress), they could see that
the $4500 payment was a windfall and people were jumping on it. Round
two should have been cut to $3500 and spread it further and longer.

Bob (non guzzling C5) Drake
Old August 7th 09, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
> > "pj" > wrote in message
> >> Lesson on how we get brain softened by our cars.

> >> Years ago my daughter said, "Dad, I love my car." I was
> >> hard-hearted and
> >> told her that loving a car was nonsense. After all, it's just
> >> iron and
> >> paint. Don't ever fall in love with a car!

> >> Our Chevy dealer keeps everything in a database and last week a
> >> sales guy
> >> calls and says my driver @ 18mpg EPA, qualified as a 'clunker'
> >> and he
> >> could give me $ 3500-4500 over a generous salvage allowance.

> >> Sounded attractive. Then I saw a TV shot of someone pouring
> >> sodium
> >> silicate in the crankcase of an F-150 and waiting for the engine
> >> seize.

> >> They actually *killed* it, right on TV.

> >> Ouch! It got me -- stab in the heart. Couldn't do it. I would
> >> have cried
> >> and, more than if I had to kill one of the horses.

> >> --
> >> pj

There are a couple of things wrong with this. They are using taxpayer
funds paid by people who already bought economical vehicles and
rewarded those with gas guzzlers. OK, I can live with that.

If they were thinking (a lot to ask of Congress), they could see that
the $4500 payment was a windfall and people were jumping on it. Round
two should have been cut to $3500 and spread it further and longer.

Bob (non guzzling C5) Drake

I'll seconded that plus they should have paid to have it destroyed and
a fee to put it in a salvage yard.

Old August 7th 09, 06:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dad" > wrote in message

> There are a couple of things wrong with this. They are using
> taxpayer
> funds paid by people who already bought economical vehicles and
> rewarded those with gas guzzlers. OK, I can live with that.
>
> If they were thinking (a lot to ask of Congress), they could see
> that
> the $4500 payment was a windfall and people were jumping on it.
> Round
> two should have been cut to $3500 and spread it further and longer.
>
> Bob (non guzzling C5) Drake
>
> I'll seconded that plus they should have paid to have it destroyed
> and a fee to put it in a salvage yard.

I guess I wasn't done yet, it should also move them into the next tax
bracket for accepting a hand out from uncle Leroy, even if it misses
it by thousands of dollars.

Old August 7th 09, 08:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_2_]

My two cents worth

Lets see..... spending stimulus money to get people to take on more
personal debt to pay sales taxes to states. And what nobody talks
about is who gets the 1099 for the cash rebate that is taxable income.
Old August 7th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> My two cents worth
>
> Lets see..... spending stimulus money to get people to take on more
> personal debt to pay sales taxes to states. And what nobody talks
> about is who gets the 1099 for the cash rebate that is taxable income.

I can see there's some worth to this thing environmentally, assuming that
all these buckets of bolts wouldn't have been traded in for years otherwise.
In terms of finance, I think the added vehicle sales might keep enough folks
working who would otherwise have been canned or laid off and on
unemployment, that the net effect to the fed's balance sheet might be
positive in the end.

So why can't I get past feeling like a sucker, in that I have newer vehicles
that are fuel-efficient, and why didn't I get $4500 off the price, or at
least a tax credit, for making a good decision?

Old August 7th 09, 10:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

> "aRKay" > wrote in message
>> My two cents worth
>>
>> Lets see..... spending stimulus money to get people to take on more
>> personal debt to pay sales taxes to states. And what nobody talks
>> about is who gets the 1099 for the cash rebate that is taxable
>> income.

> I can see there's some worth to this thing environmentally, assuming
> that all these buckets of bolts wouldn't have been traded in for
> years otherwise. In terms of finance, I think the added vehicle
> sales might keep enough folks working who would otherwise have been
> canned or laid off and on unemployment, that the net effect to the
> fed's balance sheet might be positive in the end.
>
> So why can't I get past feeling like a sucker, in that I have newer
> vehicles that are fuel-efficient, and why didn't I get $4500 off the
> price, or at least a tax credit, for making a good decision?
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

And why didn't they give us some credit for buying a home we could
afford to pay for? Many times I held 2 jobs and did contract work to
keep my head above water. At one time 18% with 25% down, '82, check
out the rates back then. But then along comes affirmative action and
lowers the standard to allow everyone to own a home whether they could
pay for it or not. Hell they even allowed some a loan that was 125% of
the home value that is now valued at half the original loan. After all
they needed to furnish it in a manor suitable to the new status we
just bought them. That along with the paper pushers, non-productive
type, that balloons it up for a big crash without any loss to their
bonus. So now I get to pay for that by higher taxes to bale out some
nincompoop that bought into the free lunch. So to correct the problem
we build a bigger debt so we can fall just that much harder when it
comes and it will come.

Please let me know when your county, city, or state lowers your
taxable home value.

Sorry for highjacking this car thread but today I'm ****ed at this do
good asshole that is pushing us down to his level.

Old August 7th 09, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
charlie

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .
> Sorry for highjacking this car thread but today I'm ****ed at this do good
> asshole that is pushing us down to his level.

politicians will never learn. this same thing happened in arizona in 2000.
dags 'arizona altfuels'. a good writeup at
http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ten tId=14196

49er - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (1/1) [486K] - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (1/1) Doby Car Show Photos 0 July 1st 09 05:52 PM
49er - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (1/1) [486K] - A Red Thing - fvr.jpg (0/1) Doby Car Show Photos 0 July 1st 09 05:52 PM
What's this thing? 92 e32 735 Josh Assing BMW 16 March 4th 06 08:08 PM
73 Thing Morgan Anderson VW air cooled 3 November 1st 05 01:51 PM
VW THING [email protected] VW air cooled 3 January 6th 05 02:19 AM