Fuel Smell

Old June 23rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Default Fuel Smell

Hi all,

Quick question....

If you can smell petrol/gas is it at a combustible level?

I have a very faint smell of it when I open the bonnet in my 68 Type1.

Cheers
Spike

Old June 23rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Spike wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick question....
>
> If you can smell petrol/gas is it at a combustible level?
>
> I have a very faint smell of it when I open the bonnet in my 68 Type1.
>
> Cheers
> Spike

Prolly not.

But it *may* be telling you something...
Rubber hose perished, gasket leak, etc.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old June 24th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Spike escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick question....
>
> If you can smell petrol/gas is it at a combustible level?
>
> I have a very faint smell of it when I open the bonnet in my 68 Type1.
>
> Cheers
> Spike

How old are the rubber hoses that you have inside the bonnet? May be
it's time to change them.

Joćo

Old June 24th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

I replaced all my emission hoses this Spring and solved my fuel smell
issue. I got the emission hoses at NAPA . I got 3/16th inch hose. The
filler neck hose was my first to go I got that at NAPA also, I think
it's a 2 inch hose. One caution I've read is to be sure your tank is
being vented after you replace all the hoses.

Houdsie

Old June 24th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

I think it's the rubber that connects the breather pipe.

I will replace it, but was just wondering if there is a point when the
'disconcerting smell of fuel' becomes a 'combustible, disaster waiting to
happen smell of fuel'.

Spike.

> wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 24th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

Would youlike to take that chance, given the multitude of variables in
play, like how sensitive some people's noses are to fuel smells? or
how others understand "very faint".... ?

Replace if in doubt. It's your life you are gambling with.

Jan

Old June 24th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

I think the stoichometric ratio for combustion is around 13.5-1 to 14.5-1,
so if it is that high, you won't be breathing long.

Don't worry about exploding, just don't smoke.

Fweem.

--
David A. Tosi
Facilities Manager

Also an antique VW nut!

Old June 24th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled

I gave up a while back.

Is the wiring I'm thinking about.

Will err on side of caution.

Thanks for the advice all

Spike.

Old August 12th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled
Spike[_1_]

UPDATE:

I ran some air into the tank from a compressor via the vapour release pipe.

Managed to track down where the smell was coming from, slightly loose seal
on pressure release pipe that runs up to the filler.

Whilst running in pressure to the tank, heard a dripping sound at back on
car - looked round there to discover a perished section of fuel pipe.

Never would have spotted it otherwise - so I count myself lucky.

Spike
"Olli Lammi" A> wrote in
message .. .

Old August 13th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled
scream

That's a good idea, presurising the system for leaks. What sort of
pressure(psi) should be used?