Close Call on CA-17

Old January 4th 06, 04:24 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Default Close Call on CA-17

Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> writes:

> Northbound CA-17, just outside of Santa Cruz. It's dark, it's
> raining, it's a twisty mountain road, and it's not even a freeway
> (i.e. not controlled-access)... And a late '80s Lincoln is driving 30
> MPH in a 55 MPH zone. Cars are streaming past in the left lane, and in
> the right lane they are stacking up behind this guy, whipping out to
> pass whenever the slightest opportunity presented itself. It's a
> wonder there were no collisions.

That's all too common a scenario on that stretch of 17, especially
in the rain. It's exacerbated by the fact that many drivers are
still interminably coming up to speed on this uphill stretch after
merging in from Hwy. 1, but the rain-cowards are a special, added
attraction this time of the year. And it isn't just ancient ****s
who should've hung up their keys years ago, like your friend in
the Lincoln.

> In a bizarre twist of fate, I encountered this same guy again at
> the Shell station in Scott's Valley about half an hour later.

Did you seize the opportunity to read him the riot act about
obstructing traffic? Or did you go soft on him because of
his age?

> If ever there was a recipe for disaster, this was it.

Maybe he's dead by now, either from a traffic accident or from
old age. We can only hop it's the latter.

Geoff

--
"What is it about the liberal elite that automatically assumes
the worst about our own government but is willing to assume
Old January 8th 06, 02:08 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

Geoff Miller wrote:
> Did you seize the opportunity to read him the riot act about
> obstructing traffic? Or did you go soft on him because of
> his age?

Forget talking to HIM about it, he probably wouldn't even understand you.
I'd flag down the first cop I saw, show them this idiot, and pointedly
urge that DMV call him in to be retested ASAP. Which DMV can and will do.
Old January 9th 06, 03:38 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving

In article >,
John David Galt > wrote:
>Geoff Miller wrote:
>> Did you seize the opportunity to read him the riot act about
>> obstructing traffic? Or did you go soft on him because of
>> his age?

>Forget talking to HIM about it, he probably wouldn't even understand you.
>I'd flag down the first cop I saw, show them this idiot, and pointedly
>urge that DMV call him in to be retested ASAP. Which DMV can and will do.

Of course, if he's that out of it, he might have already lost his license,
or have had restrictions placed on it, but that tidbit may have slipped his
mind.. All the more reason to flag down a local constable..

A new class of offense: Driving Without Brain Function.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

better pour shirts now or Fred will rigidly call them to you Dr. Y. V. van der Waals General 0 January 14th 05 11:52 PM
my dirty disk won't call before I lift it Georgette Lewis General 0 January 14th 05 10:39 PM
we call the bitter elbow Retarded Upset Contortionist General 0 January 14th 05 10:35 PM
we call the cold cloud Edith General 0 January 14th 05 10:00 PM
some cold films are hollow and other heavy painters are shallow, but will Marty call that Sloppy Slutty Prostitute General 0 January 14th 05 08:37 PM