Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

Old November 22nd 05, 06:55 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:43:52 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> was understood to have stated the following:

>I change the oil every 1500 miles and grease the front end every 1000.
>And i change the air filter and plugs and rotor/cap every 10k or so.

Damned, your car must be a real POS if you've got to change the plugs
and rotor/cap every 10k.

--

"Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend" brags of it's homosexuallity:

the guys at the bath-house stopped laughing at my 3 inch weenie.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1dd649fb?hl=en

Joshua Calvert > demonstrates his lack of understanding of the terms "sarcasm", "irony", and "hypocrisy":
Poor rightard, forced to whine about an 40 year old event.
Old November 22nd 05, 06:57 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:09:54 -0500, "Mike Hunter"
> was understood to have stated the following:

>What would you expect form a guy that says Mrs. Bush murder someone? LOL

Not much...

Which is exactly what we get.

Old November 22nd 05, 08:52 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

In article . com>,
"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote:

> The whole idea of hybrids is stupid. Just make cars smaller and leave
> out all the useless crap. Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
> family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
> 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.

For more money you can now get a European car giving more MPG and more
trouble free miles.
Old November 22nd 05, 08:58 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

In article >,
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:

> I change the oil every 1500 miles

Too soon.
> and grease the front end every 1000.

Very frequent.
> And i change the air filter and plugs and rotor/cap every 10k or so.

Too frequent for the plugs.
> That's what i'm talking about. My present vehicle has 190K on it and
> is as happy as a republican at a bathhouse.

Your current vehicle must be very old to require such frequent oil and
plug changes. If it isn't old you're wasting the environment.
Old November 22nd 05, 09:21 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:58:23 GMT, Spam Hater > was
understood to have stated the following:

>In article >,
> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE > wrote:
>
>> I change the oil every 1500 miles

>Too soon.
>> and grease the front end every 1000.

>Very frequent.
>> And i change the air filter and plugs and rotor/cap every 10k or so.

>Too frequent for the plugs.
>> That's what i'm talking about. My present vehicle has 190K on it and
>> is as happy as a republican at a bathhouse.

>Your current vehicle must be very old to require such frequent oil and
>plug changes. If it isn't old you're wasting the environment.

Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend )'s words of
wisdom, love, and respect (spelling and grammatical errors left
intact)

Even a safety nut like me doesn't carry things that far.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...26bba6d?hl=en&

My tars have been bald for two years. Every month i glue some
sandpaper to them and everythings cool - as long as you drive slow and
sensible.
: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...0464706?hl=en&

Driving twenty year old beaters doesn't keep me up to date. Anyway
it's a stupid idea.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...cfc7b81b?hl=en

My dash lights burned out years ago.
: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...bd9e8ee94fa7a?

Yes, but never deliberately. In fact i got a speeding ticket about 5
years ago for doing 41 in a 25. I just about kicked the cops teeth in
cause i was sure he was lying. No way the SL on this wide open stretch
could be 25, i thought. Turns out the cop was right. No complaints
from me then. I should have known the law.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...40009050c624a9

STFU YOU HATEFILLED TROLL.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f1481a15?hl=en

I'm the troll here dood.
: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...363dee4?hl=en&

I'm the troll here.
: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...365fc67?hl=en&

Fork you, beyatch. I'm the greatest troll that ever lived!!!!
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...16b755126bd447

Being a troll is an honorable life.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...01be2d8?hl=en&

Old November 22nd 05, 10:28 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, NJ Vike quoted from Car & Driver:
>
> > Although the warranties are for eight years or 100,000 miles, battery
> > replacement will cost $5300 for the Toyota and Lexus hybrids, and the
> > Ford Escape replacements run a whopping $7200. Moreover, the industry
> > types aren't talking about total battery life. Will they actually last
> > 100,000 miles?

> No. My officemate has an '03 Honda Civic hybrid. It started giving
> problems on his way from Montreal to Toronto. The Integrated Motor Assist
> system went offline, which also meant the SLI battery (Starting, Lighting,
> Ignition -- the conventional 12v item under the hood) was not being
> charged. When he limped into the parking lot, his SLI battery read 9.9v.
>
> Towed to the dealer, who after three days gave the diagnostic report: The
> traction battery's dead. Good thing the battery warranty is 6 years,
> otherwise it'd be a C$8,000+ event. Dealer claims this is the first-ever
> failure of a traction battery in a Honda hybrid of any year or model,
> anywhere in the world (Sure, right...) and that a new traction battery has
> to be brought in from Japan, which will take AT LEAST three weeks.
>
> Of course, there are multiple different issues going on here. There's the
> car problem itself, then there's the dealer's fairy tales. I can think of
> half a dozen courier companies that'll happily get a package from Japan to
> North America in a matter of a couple of days, so that shoots the "three
> weeks to come from Japan" theory all to hell. And if this were indeed the
> very first-ever instance of this heretofore unheard-of failure in one of
> Honda's high-profile, high-PR-value enviro models, one would think the
> company would be falling all over itself to make the repair as quickly as
> possible to keep the customer as quiet as possible about it.
>
> > How will this affect resale value?

> Pah. What resale value? This kind of traction battery failure does NOT
> bode well for the durability of these cars. Sure, it's covered under his
> battery warranty. The new replacement battery does not reset the battery
> warranty clock. What about in 5 years? They are disposable cars. 10 years
> *tops*. More like "end of warranty plus time to next failure".

Hold on there Daniel!

The battery industry is well able to come up with aftermarket replacement
batteries for these cars. They aren't doing so now because there's no
demand
for them - because the warranties are all still in effect.

The dollar values of these battery packs are funny money, they are
accounting
fictions. Since the automakers pays for the warranty replacement of the
battery, the automakers can price them however they want.

Consider for a moment this scenario. Honda could have figured out
even before commencing manufacture that the battery pack will fail
at least 1 time under warranty. We also know that Honda is probably
losing $2,000 on every new hybrid they manufacture.

So Honda decided to engage in a bit of creative accounting. In order to
minimize the loss on each car that they manufacture, they understate the
actual cost of the battey pack by $2000. Thus while the real dollar
amount they are losing on every new car is $4,000, because the
battery pack is underestimated, the loss looks less than it is really.

Now, they have to get the money for these understated batteries
somewhere. That's where the overinflated $8000 warranty battery
comes in. Because it's a warranty, Honda can argue next year
to it's stockholders that they didn't know warranty costs on the hybrids
would be so high, thus their profits are down. In the meantime the
$8000 warranty batteries are actually subsidizing the cost of the
new batteries.

You have to assume that Honda's and Toyota's stockholders will
tolerate some loss on hybrids, as a skunkworks market. But
they won't tolerate it for very long, and they won't tolerate it
if it's pretty massive. If the loss gets to high the investors will
force those companies to jettison hybrid production. So if Honda's
managers want to continue building and losing money on hybrids,
they are going to have to do some creative accounting tricks
to hide some of the losses on these cars. Pushing the loss out
of the manufacturing cost bucket and into the warranty claims
bucket is one of these tricks.

> > This brings up an undiscussed issue: At some point, all these hybrid
> > batteries will die and have to be disposed of somewhere, somehow. These
> > are hardly biodegradable items like spoiled vegetables. They are in fact
> > self-contained toxic waste dumps. How and where millions of these
> > poisonous boxes will be deposited in the new hybrid nirvana has yet to
> > be considered, much less resolved.

> NiMH batteries are indeed hair-raisingly toxic and expensive to
> reclaim/recycle. Once no longer in the dealer chain, they will simply get
> tossed -- along with the rest of the car.

Why are you thinking that these cars batteries are going to be replaced
by NiMH? My guess is the aftermarket battery industry will come out
with a lead acid gel cell conventional technology retrofit battery for these
cars, that will cost a quarter of the NiMH. Obviously the fuel mileage will
suffer but not a lot, and the battery industry is under no obligation to
manufacture a part that will retain the existing mileage. All that would
probably need to be done is a reprogrammed battery computer to
be installed that will properly maintain charge on a lead acid pack.

Ted

Old November 22nd 05, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Will they also design a trailer to carry all the LA batteries need to
produce enough voltage?

mike

"Ted Mittelstaedt" >

Old November 22nd 05, 05:31 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:50:08 GMT, John Horner >
> wrote:
>

>>Have people learning nothing from cell phones and laptop computers where
>>failure to take a charge rechargeable batteries are often the death
>>sentence?
>>
>>John

> Ever hear of proofreading??

You must have way too much time on your hands to be spending it
nitpicking on usenet over spelling and grammar. Now go back to that
high school and make the kids there miserable like so many teachers do.

John
Old November 22nd 05, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

John Horner, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:31:09 GMT:
> You must have way too much time on your hands to be spending it
> nitpicking on usenet over spelling and grammar. Now go back to that
> high school and make the kids there miserable like so many teachers do.

Judy spends its free time (when its not showing its silliness in r.a.d.)
by sitting out in the back porch of its trailer wearing a tinfoil hat
and watching for black helicopters with UN logos piloted by grey
aliens...
Old November 22nd 05, 06:24 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

> On 21 Nov 2005 10:44:27 -0800, "Larry Bud" >
> wrote:
>

>>Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
>>
>>>The whole idea of hybrids is stupid. Just make cars smaller and leave
>>>out all the useless crap. Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
>>>family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
>>>250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.

>>What the **** would you know about routain maintenance, Mr. Drive a POS
>>vehicle with bald tires and no dash lights?

> I change the oil every 1500 miles and grease the front end every 1000.

Absolutely idiotic! Changing the oil at 3000 mile intervals is wasteful
enough given that modern oils are generally good to 7000 or more miles,
1500 is just flat stupid. But what I'd expect from an "environmental
responsibility is for everyone BUT me" liberal...