Tyre Insurance (UK)?

Old October 29th 05, 10:23 AM
Daz

Default Tyre Insurance (UK)?

I've noticed a few companies offering tyre insurance in the UK, which covers
damage (accidential and malicious)... not having much luck with my tyres
and the fact that they are not cheap I wondered if anybody has this type of
insurance?

Prices are £125 for a 2 year policy but the small print says you can only
have max £250 per claim, but nothing about how many claims a year you can
have...?

Thanks

Old October 29th 05, 12:12 PM
Daz

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> I've noticed a few companies offering tyre insurance in the UK, which
> covers damage (accidential and malicious)... not having much luck with my
> tyres and the fact that they are not cheap I wondered if anybody has this
> type of insurance?
>
> Prices are £125 for a 2 year policy but the small print says you can only
> have max £250 per claim, but nothing about how many claims a year you can
> have...?
>
> Thanks

P.S. I'm running 19" wheels on a 2004 M3, £250 per claim would just about
cover 1 tyre!

Old October 29th 05, 12:32 PM
TonyK

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> I've noticed a few companies offering tyre insurance in the UK, which

covers
> damage (accidential and malicious)... not having much luck with my tyres
> and the fact that they are not cheap I wondered if anybody has this type

of
> insurance?
>
> Prices are £125 for a 2 year policy but the small print says you can only
> have max £250 per claim, but nothing about how many claims a year you can
> have...?
>
> Thanks

LOL - sorry Daz!! Topic just made me chuckle.

I've seen these policies mentioned elsewhere and the general feeling seemed
to be that they were a waste of time when it came to paying out. They appear
to wriggle out of everything bar a blow out on a new tyre.

I've no first hand experience, just going on what I've heared mentioned
elsewhere, primarily from the US where I think this kind of insurance is
more common.

Old October 29th 05, 01:28 PM
Dean Dark

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:32:44 +0100, "TonyK" > wrote:

>I've no first hand experience, just going on what I've heared mentioned
>elsewhere, primarily from the US where I think this kind of insurance is
>more common.

It is not uncommon in the US. It's usually sold by the tire/tyre
dealer for an extra $20 or so per tire. Sometimes they'll have a
'special' where they throw it in free. They always pro rate the cost
of a replacement against the amount of tread left on the tire. £125
for 2 years sounds pretty steep to me. You'd pretty much have to have
a claim every 2 or 3 years to make it worthwhile - more often than
that, if they're only going to pay half the cost for a half-worn tire.
--
Dan.
Old November 12th 05, 05:28 PM
Jo Ling

Why not just put aside £125 every two years? Then you've got your own tyre
insurance.

Old November 14th 05, 11:19 AM

Daz wrote:
> "Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> >

> P.S. I'm running 19" wheels on a 2004 M3, £250 per claim would just about
> cover 1 tyre!

The only place I could find that did tyre insurance came back to me and
said that they wouldn't cover an M3. I thought WTF but that's typicial
UK-ness for you.