torquing the crank bolt

Old August 21st 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default torquing the crank bolt

hi,

i am trying to torque the crank pulley bolt on my 95 to 120# with
tranny in gear and brakes set but cant get to hold. i do not see any
access/inspection panel to be able to jam the flywheel...

any suggestions?

tia,
peter
Old August 21st 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

On Aug 21, 7:03*am, peter > wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am trying to torque the crank pulley bolt on my 95 to 120# with
> tranny in gear and brakes set but cant get to hold. *i do not see any
> access/inspection panel to be able to jam the flywheel...
>
> any suggestions?
>
> tia,
> peter

You are using 5th gear right? If you can't get the E-brake to hold the
drivetrain still, your next option would be to have a helper come and
stand on the brake pedal while you do the final torque.

Good luck with it...

Chris
Old August 22nd 10, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Aug 21, 11:40*am, Hal > wrote:

> You are using 5th gear right? If you can't get the E-brake to hold the
> drivetrain still, your next option would be to have a helper come and
> stand on the brake pedal while you do the final torque.

that still didnt work initially, so i set the torque wrench at 90,
then 100, then 110 and finally 120.
i guess i didnt have enough room to get to 120 in one step.

thanks,
peter

doing the belly pan and anti freeze at 6 in the morning........
Old August 24th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"peter" > wrote in message
On Aug 21, 11:40 am, Hal > wrote:

> You are using 5th gear right? If you can't get the E-brake to hold the
> drivetrain still, your next option would be to have a helper come and
> stand on the brake pedal while you do the final torque.

that still didnt work initially, so i set the torque wrench at 90,
then 100, then 110 and finally 120.
i guess i didnt have enough room to get to 120 in one step.

thanks,
peter

doing the belly pan and anti freeze at 6 in the morning........

You're an adventurous soul my friend! What's the weather like at 6:00am
where you are? Here in Houston, it'd already be about 78f. :-(

cd
99BBB

torqueing crank bolt pm Mazda 10 July 31st 09 05:18 AM
crank pulley bolt peter Mazda 4 June 10th 09 03:08 AM
Crank Shaft Bolt (Which Way) army guy Honda 13 January 9th 06 03:25 AM
Crank bolt marked. Burt S. Honda 2 November 11th 05 03:22 AM
stupid crank pulley bolt disallow Honda 3 October 6th 04 09:32 AM