2006 Miata

Old May 21st 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 2006 Miata

Craig Wagner wrote:

> S2000 redlines at 9,000 rpm up to '03. In '04 they went to the 2.2l and lowered
> the redline to 8,000.

Ahhh, I did not know that. Did the hp or torque numbers change?

Pat
Old May 21st 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >, pws > wrote:
>Craig Wagner wrote:
>
>> S2000 redlines at 9,000 rpm up to '03. In '04 they went to the 2.2l and

> lowered
>> the redline to 8,000.

>Ahhh, I did not know that. Did the hp or torque numbers change?
>
>Pat

Torque went up by about 10, hp stayed the same. Gearing was
increased numerically. End result is more oomph off the line and,
probably, in most driving. But more shifting on an auto-X track,
and about the same 0-60 on a magazine or bonzai run.
Old May 21st 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Sun, 21 May 2006 00:30:41 GMT, pws > wrote:

>I'll bet $5000.00 against your $50.00 that the low-end torque has
>increased by a considerable margin.

My point is not that your mods have not increased low-end torque; it is that any
increase in low-end torque is not from the turbocharger, since a turbocharger,
by definition, does not add any boost at low rpms.

-- Larry

Old May 21st 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Tex" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:03:07 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> > wrote:
>

>>The great thing about window wings (vent windows) was if you smoked. You
>>could hold that cigarette near the open vent window and nearly all the
>>smoke
>>would vent out. You could also flick the ash anywhere near the window and
>>it would get sucked out.

> I do smoke and wings would be nice for that reason. Also without A/C
> it was nice to direct the air flow.

I suggest you quit smoking. I did, on May 22, 1992 after smoking 2-3 packs
a day for 28 years.

Old May 21st 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:15:21 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> wrote:

>"Tex" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:03:07 -0500, "Frank Berger"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>The great thing about window wings (vent windows) was if you smoked. You
>>>could hold that cigarette near the open vent window and nearly all the
>>>smoke
>>>would vent out. You could also flick the ash anywhere near the window and
>>>it would get sucked out.

>> I do smoke and wings would be nice for that reason. Also without A/C
>> it was nice to direct the air flow.

>I suggest you quit smoking. I did, on May 22, 1992 after smoking 2-3 packs
>a day for 28 years.

Thank-you for the suggestion. Good for you on quitting. I'm down to
1-2 packs a day from 2+ packs for the last 40 years. As the hardtop
changed with the 06 I have been thinking if I quit smoking I could pay
for one just from one years savings. Two years worth of quitting would
also get me MS shocks and springs and hopefully cover the labor to
have them installed too.
Old May 21st 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tex > wrote:

>On Sat, 20 May 2006 19:19:44 GMT, "tooloud" >
>wrote:
>
>>Tex wrote:

>>> One reason is they are hard to find.
>>>
>>> When I went looking for a Club Spec it was like looking for a needle
>>> in a haystack. Oh sure they had plenty of those up a notch with air...

>>I'd just go to the nearest dealer and tell him what I want. They can order
>>anything.
>>

>I went to the dealer I bought the 2002 from...they said it would take
>six months and even then it might not be the one without air...so much
>for that...

I ordered mine in December. It was build in Japan to order, not taken
from stock. The entire thing took 3 months. The statement "it might not
be one without air" is ludicrous if you order it. They wanted to sell
you a more expensive edition from existing stock and were lying for it.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old May 21st 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Tex" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 May 2006 02:15:21 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Tex" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:03:07 -0500, "Frank Berger"

>>> I do smoke and wings would be nice for that reason. Also without A/C
>>> it was nice to direct the air flow.

>>I suggest you quit smoking. I did, on May 22, 1992 after smoking 2-3
>>packs
>>a day for 28 years.
>>

> Thank-you for the suggestion. Good for you on quitting. I'm down to
> 1-2 packs a day from 2+ packs for the last 40 years. As the hardtop
> changed with the 06 I have been thinking if I quit smoking I could pay
> for one just from one years savings. Two years worth of quitting would
> also get me MS shocks and springs and hopefully cover the labor to
> have them installed too.

Use the patch to break the nicotine habit, stay away from bars, and find
something to substitute for the endorphin rush, exercise perhaps. I quit
because a) my kids worried about my health, b) I was reduced to smoking in
the garage or the front porch, and c ) because my employer build a new
non-smoking building. I suppose concern for my own health is d).

Good luck.

Old May 21st 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

pltrgyst > wrote:

>On Sun, 21 May 2006 00:30:41 GMT, pws > wrote:
>
>>I'll bet $5000.00 against your $50.00 that the low-end torque has
>>increased by a considerable margin.

>My point is not that your mods have not increased low-end torque; it is that any
>increase in low-end torque is not from the turbocharger, since a turbocharger,
>by definition, does not add any boost at low rpms.

Can you tell me by whose definition? MacInnes shows boost over the entire
rpm range and says that when a supercharger is properly matched in housing
size, it will produce boost and an increase in hp over the entire rpm range.

Heywood gives some examples of boost schedules for waste-gate controlled
turbochargers and notes that their boost is negligible at 1000 rpm,
but 1000 rpm is not an operating rpm. He notes that *full* boost is
achieved at about 2000 rpm. I would call 2000 rpm a low rpm, wouldn't
you?

So, what do you use as reference?
Leon

Old May 21st 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Can you tell me by whose definition? MacInnes shows boost over the entire
> rpm range and says that when a supercharger is properly matched in housing
> size, it will produce boost and an increase in hp over the entire rpm range.
>
> Heywood gives some examples of boost schedules for waste-gate controlled
> turbochargers and notes that their boost is negligible at 1000 rpm,
> but 1000 rpm is not an operating rpm. He notes that *full* boost is
> achieved at about 2000 rpm. I would call 2000 rpm a low rpm, wouldn't
> you?
>
> So, what do you use as reference?
> Leon

I defintely would call it a low rpm, and the boost gauge is moving by
2,000 rpm. It is either providing boost at a low rpm or I have a faulty
boost gauge.
There is a wastegate, this was a very professionally done system that
had Corky Bell working on it. I guess there is some turbo lag, but it is
minimal at best.

Thanks for the latest facts, Leon & Dave.

Pat