Buick V-6 3.8 Idles Fast in Drive (But idles normally in Neutral)

Old March 16th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Buick V-6 3.8 Idles Fast in Drive (But idles normally in Neutral)

....86 Buick V-6 (3.8) with 120,000 miles:
idles too fast in "D"rive, BUT idles at normal speed
when put in "N"uetral". TPS (throttle position sensor) had
been replaced previously, and still checks OK with an ohmmeter.
I could not see any obvious vacuum hose leaks. I also had
the battery disconnected for awhile to reset computer.
(still drives at 20 mph with foot off throtlle).
Does this OK-in-Neutral provide a significant clue??
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old March 16th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You cannot check the tps with an o'meter, use a voltmeter and set it at dead
idle at .5v. Then go from there.

Old March 17th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Gene Gardner wrote:
> ...86 Buick V-6 (3.8) with 120,000 miles:
> idles too fast in "D"rive, BUT idles at normal speed
> when put in "N"uetral". TPS (throttle position sensor) had
> been replaced previously, and still checks OK with an ohmmeter.
> I could not see any obvious vacuum hose leaks. I also had
> the battery disconnected for awhile to reset computer.
> (still drives at 20 mph with foot off throtlle).
> Does this OK-in-Neutral provide a significant clue??
> Thanks for any suggestions.

You may need to give the ECM several days of driving to adjust itself
if you don't closely follow the recommended relearn procedure after
disconnecting the battery and replacing the TPS. You may have a real
problem, but I would give it a few days anyway, then start looking for
problems ie ECM codes, intake manifold vacuum leak, etc. It sounds
like your IAC valve is operational since idle speed tames down in
neutral.

Shep's point is a good one, too. You should make sure the sensor
return wire shows about .5 volts with the key on, engine idling,
throttle closed. There is a small amount of slop in the attachment
screw holes for adjustment.

Toyota MDT in MO

Close Call! Stimpy Jeep 87 March 18th 06 04:11 AM
A New Category of Sloth Scott en Aztlán Driving 137 December 21st 05 02:25 PM
fast drive 156 yyy Alfa Romeo 2 July 19th 05 08:16 AM
How fast to drive with emergency tires? Tim Zimmerman Driving 25 February 25th 05 11:16 PM
How fast to drive with emergency tires? Tim Zimmerman Technology 25 February 25th 05 11:16 PM