Left LoBeam Out, Turn Signal Warning Signal On

Old November 25th 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Left LoBeam Out, Turn Signal Warning Signal On

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Headlights on - left low beam headlight doesn't work.

After a period of time, with the headlights on, the overhead command
module advises that my left turn signal is on (it's not).

Have replaced the left low beam headlight.

Have inspected the left low beam fuse, appears OK.

When the headlights are on, and the left turn signal is engaged, the
the left signal lights flash rapidly.

Anyone have any ideas?

DYI[alldata] has no clue.

--
Ted Borck
Old November 25th 05, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That sounds like you have lost a ground tag.

I don't know where they are located, but if you check the harness close
to the bad light, you should find a wire not hooked up or a corroded
screw holding the wire to the back of the grill somewhere. It might be
at the very end of the light harness, but usually each headlight has
it's own ground tag.

I think you might have two issues, the signal could be a bad or shorted
bulb, or just the one problem where the headlight could be coming on dim
in time with the signal because it is stealing the signal circuit's
direct body ground. The signal usually grounds through the fixture or
on new plastic ones their own ground wire.

The light circuits use independent grounds and can steal them when lost
making all kinds of strange things happen.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 25th 05, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Your headlight and turn signal on the left must be grounded at the same
point and the ground is bad. So instead of lighting the left headlight the
voltage travels up the turn signal ground. Check for broken/corroded wires
that fasten to the body by a screw.

JoBo

Old November 25th 05, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Have you checked to make sure there is there power to the headlight element?

Have you tried a bulb that is known to be good? It is possible you bought a
new bulb that was bad, try the bulb from the other side.

Have you checked to make sure none of the turn signal bulbs are out or dim?
These bulbs have 2 circuits through them...running and turn signals. A
rapidly flashing bulb indicates a bulb is out or working but dim.

You said the fuse appeared good, there are fuses for each bulb, did you try
swapping them just to make sure? Some times it is hard to tell the condition
by looking.

² TURN SIGNALS ON (with vehicle graphic) -Indicates that a turn signal has
remained on for about 1.6 kilometers (one mile) with no decrease in speed or
throttle opening.

Old November 25th 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mike Romain > wrote:
> That sounds like you have lost a ground tag.

> I don't know where they are located, but if you check the harness close
> to the bad light, you should find a wire not hooked up or a corroded
> screw holding the wire to the back of the grill somewhere. It might be
> at the very end of the light harness, but usually each headlight has
> it's own ground tag.

> I think you might have two issues, the signal could be a bad or shorted
> bulb, or just the one problem where the headlight could be coming on dim
> in time with the signal because it is stealing the signal circuit's
> direct body ground. The signal usually grounds through the fixture or
> on new plastic ones their own ground wire.

> The light circuits use independent grounds and can steal them when lost
> making all kinds of strange things happen.

OK,

I checked and the non-functioning lights have power going to them.

According to alldata diagrams, it appears that the left front headlight
and turnsignal harness ground at bolt screwed into the middle of the left
(driverside) fender.

Cleaning that ground connection made no difference. Jumping a ground
directly from the grounding connectors and bolt to the battery negative
terminal made no difference; so am now backtracking through the various
connectors between the grounding bolt and the headlight assembly.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Any and all other suggestions will be appreciated.

--
Ted Borck
Old November 25th 05, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ted Borck wrote:

> Mike Romain > wrote:
> > That sounds like you have lost a ground tag.

> > I don't know where they are located, but if you check the harness close
> > to the bad light, you should find a wire not hooked up or a corroded
> > screw holding the wire to the back of the grill somewhere. It might be
> > at the very end of the light harness, but usually each headlight has
> > it's own ground tag.

> > I think you might have two issues, the signal could be a bad or shorted
> > bulb, or just the one problem where the headlight could be coming on dim
> > in time with the signal because it is stealing the signal circuit's
> > direct body ground. The signal usually grounds through the fixture or
> > on new plastic ones their own ground wire.

> > The light circuits use independent grounds and can steal them when lost
> > making all kinds of strange things happen.

> OK,
>
> I checked and the non-functioning lights have power going to them.
>
> According to alldata diagrams, it appears that the left front headlight
> and turnsignal harness ground at bolt screwed into the middle of the left
> (driverside) fender.
>
> Cleaning that ground connection made no difference. Jumping a ground
> directly from the grounding connectors and bolt to the battery negative
> terminal made no difference; so am now backtracking through the various
> connectors between the grounding bolt and the headlight assembly.
>
> Thanks to all for the suggestions.
>
> Any and all other suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Ted Borck

I would pull the signal bulbs next, front one first, then the back one
to see if one bad.