'92 VW GTI (headlights)

Old August 31st 05, 09:15 PM
andrewnita

Default '92 VW GTI (headlights)

We have a 92 GTI, the headlights would only work on high beams for a week
or so then stopped working altogether. We replaced the switch on the dash
and it still doesnt work. All the other lights will come on , turn signals
work, brake lights. all the fuses are fine ,but I cant find any relay
switchs, the manual isnt much help either. Any help?

Old September 1st 05, 01:10 AM
Woodchuck

Did you check the bulbs? Do you have voltage to the bulbs?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 2nd 05, 07:26 AM
Matt B.

"andrewnita" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> We have a 92 GTI, the headlights would only work on high beams for a week
> or so then stopped working altogether. We replaced the switch on the dash
> and it still doesnt work. All the other lights will come on , turn signals
> work, brake lights. all the fuses are fine ,but I cant find any relay
> switchs, the manual isnt much help either. Any help?

could also be the turn signal/high beam lever switch going bad. and no
relays are in the A2s for the headlamps so that's why you didn't find them
(at least it's one less thing to check).

Old September 2nd 05, 07:05 PM

Had the same problem with my '90 as well.

the wiring harness had burned out - I replaced the harness - avaiable
at any reasonable auot parts store - I got them at Canadian Tire here
in Canada, pep boys would be have them - they are standard for amost
all dual (even if you have GTI four headlamp system your mainlights are
still sealed dual beam) beam systems.

you can check by wiggle the harness at the light a smidge, if they come
on witrh certian pressur in one direction it is a good indication that
the contacts have work away - best to replace them as loose electrical
connections can cause overheating and blown fuses, fires etc.

good luck.

Old September 3rd 05, 08:10 AM
ThaDriver

I had the exact same problem with an '89 Cabriolet. I replaced the fuses,
wiggled them several times, cleaned them, etc. & was just about ready to
replace the high beam switch when they came on (only on high beams).
Turned out even after all that the fuses were still not getting a good
connection. Cleaned them again & they worked fine on both beams.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.