There I was, Driving in the Right Lane...

Old December 18th 04, 02:07 AM
Bill 2

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> [...]

to the

> >> Why would you worry about doing that? Set the cruise and, if you're
> >> going faster, either pass the guy or tap it down 1 MPH. Or get that
> >> fancy schmancy laser-guided cruise control like Kenny has.

> >Problem is when you tap it down and it goes from being slightly too fast

> >slightly too slow

> Then use your right foot to speed up +5 and pass the guy, then take
> your foot off the gas and return to your cruising speed again. Problem
> solved!

Why must you either pass or be passed, why not travel the same speed as?
Seems that would decrease congestion.

> >Leaving it under manual
> >control means I can imitate the actions of the radar guided units.

> The problem is you luddites who refuse to use yor cruise control end
> up imitating DUCKLINGS more often than you imitate Kenny's
> laser-guided unit.

I think you're confusing me with Judy, you see I have some ability to
opperate a motor vehicle. Following !=tailgating/duckling

I can maintain a constant distance behind a car such that they might think
I'm using CC, not a duckling.

> >> If you follow at a SAFE distance, you're going to be endlessly cut in
> >> front of by other vehicles because you're leaving too much space in
> >> front of you. This forces you to slow down to re-establish your safe
> >> following distance. Repeat ad nauseum.

> >I said safe distance, not ridiculously huge expanse.

> By definition, a safe distance allows enough space for at least one
> other car to slip in front of you. That's why we tailgate in heavy
> traffic.

Tailgate? Sounds quite duckling of you, latching on to mother duck's bumper
like that. Sounds like you're the one that's imitating DUCKLINGS.

Besides, heavy traffic isn't the place to use CC. I was talking in the
context of a freeway in light-medium traffic. I can follow with a safe but
not excessive distance, such that I'm not tailgating, nor inviting anyone to
pull in front.