teenage insurance

Old December 8th 04, 07:27 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 00:19:52 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
> wrote:
>
> >Sounds about right... Working at Radio Shack full time in the past I made
> >maybe $600-$700/mo except during the holiday season when I actually made
> >enough to live off of (comission). $4500/year is $375/mo. One can't

afford
> >to live with insurance that high if one is making the money a typical
> >college student will make while taking classes.

> The whole purpose of going to college is to study and get a good
> education, not work 50 hours/week at Radio Shaft so you can afford to
> operate and insure a car. College is set up such that you don't need a
> car: you eat your meals in the cafeteria in your dorm; you walk to
> classes, frat parties, and bars. That's how it was when I was in
> college, and that's how it is today. The college my son attends
> doesn't even allow freshmen to have a car on campus - there is neither
> need nor space.
>
> I would rather spend that $4500/year on tuition at a better school
> than waste it on car insurance for kids who don't need to drive.

Not everyone is so priveleged to have a family that can afford to send them
away to some fancy school and live a secluded life on campus and not have to
work. I go to a community college for computer science (they have great
professors, I am friends with and work with them all... very talented
people) and will probably transfer over to Rutgers after I get my AAS.

I personally will never live on campus. I've been on several college
campuses and the people who live there are for the msot part awful. Lacking
in morals, don't give a damn about anything except partying and drugs...
Totally immature. It's the epitome of where I do not want to live and the
environment I do not want to be in. I'd rather pay $50-$100/mo and live in
Camden in a nice big apartment to cut way back on living expenses and
commute to school if I had to be totally independant from my parents.

Back to dorms, my ex's roommate was a drug dealer and was often trying to
slip her drugs. This was all in the "academic" dorm too. Furthermore, there
is little freedom, living on campus is babysitting, just like high school.
All you see is a bunch of losers whining in the school papers about how they
can't do this or that or the other. Well first off, get a life you morons,
secondly, stop doing drugs and grow up, and thirdly, if you don't like it,
leave!

Anyhow, as I said, my insurance is less than $100/mo, which is less that
$1200/year. My parents pay for my tuition, I pay for books. They pay for my
car insurance, but I give them money for it when I can afford it. I now work
part time and am taking classes again this coming semester and finishing my
MCSE.

The reason I was working 60+ hours/week between my two jobs was due to a bit
of a personal situation, but that's all behind me now and I'm gettin' back
on the ball with school and moving on with my life.

Cory

Old December 8th 04, 07:35 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:33:14 -0700, Mike Z. Helm >
> wrote:
>
> >I didn't have to work at all to go to college - sure, I worked in the
> >summer, but my parents went with the philosophy that if I didn't have to
> >work during school, I could devote all my time to studying (LOL).
> >
> >It was a nice theory, but since I didn't have to work, I partied a lot.
> >I dare say that if I had had to work, I might have made better grades as
> >I wouldn't have been drunk as much.

> I doubt it.
>
> An hour spent working is no different than an hour spent drinking -
> both are an hour NOT spent studying.

Agreed. Kids nowadays are ungrateful immature *******s with no respect. They
need to learn how to manage their time to get done everything they need to
get done. For me I can get by with little sleep, so many nights each week I
only get 3-5 hours of sleep depending on how much work I have to do.

There's no reason one can not have time to spend time relaxing in their
chosen way (be it reading a book, watching a movie, spending time with your
significant other or going out with the guys, or getting drunk and high) and
still have time to get done the work they need to get done for school. Hell,
I did it just fine and dandy when I was working 60+ hours a week between my
two jobs and taking 5 classes. It's called responsibility. Maybe it's all
those liberals out there who like to pin the blame on anyone or anything
except the actualy reason for the problem. I notice parents who are like
that don't seem to encourage their children to be responsible and mature. Oh
well, that's life I suppose. The spineless wonders will either grow up real
fast one day or end up dead.

Cory

Old December 8th 04, 07:35 PM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 8th 04, 07:41 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:02:20 GMT, "leo" > wrote:
>
> >> Make them buy their own vehicles and insurance. Sign a waiver and have
> >> them specifically excluded from your policy, and keep your car keys in
> >> a locked key box when you aren't using them.

> >Well, this is a typical answer. I am not convinced all teenagers can pay
> >their tuition, room & board, car and insurance all by themselves,

however.

> And I'm not convinced all teenagers NEED a car.

How does one go about getting to work without a car? Public transportation
here in NJ stinks. I take the train to work two days/week that I work in
Camden (city). The 1-2 days I work in Blackwood (rural) I drive because
public transportation isn't practical to get there. I also need my car to
get to school in Blackwood, as public transportation out there is not that
great and is very inconvenient. Also, how about the several times each week
that I go out to people's homes or small businesses to do computer work or
consulting? I can't take a bus or a train to any of those places, and it's
not practical to be carrying computers, parts, and tools around with me
while taking public transportation.

So for me, a teenager (19, until next month anyway), I need a car. I need a
car to get to school, and to get to work. Even if my college actually had
dorms to live in and I was one of those immature punks with no respect and
lacking morals who lived there, I would still need a car to work. Actually,
if I was a typical college student living in a dorm I would be dumb as a
brick and wouldn't be doing independant consulting, and if I tried, people
would tell me to get the heck out because I would have no respect. Thank
goodness I didn't turn out like that.

Cory

Old December 8th 04, 07:41 PM
Cory Dunkle

Old December 8th 04, 10:44 PM
E.R.

In a previous posting, "Cory Dunkle" > had
the audacity to say:

:The reason I was working 60+ hours/week between my two jobs was due to a bit
f a personal situation, but that's all behind me now and I'm gettin' back
n the ball with school and moving on with my life.

You shouldn't worry yourself too much, Cory, you're a little bit
younger than me and have apparently come a long way; you still
have a lot of time. After a period of long term illness I
started to realize that so long as I'm alive and well, I too
have a lot of time.

To me, a college education is important, even if only as a means
to an end. And I agree with your sentiments about living in
university residences too. I've only ever had marginal to
negative experiences in them, so to resume living in one would
(probably) be a retrograde step for me.

--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada

Old December 8th 04, 10:57 PM
E.R.

In a previous posting, Scott en Aztlán

:wrote:
:
:>Sounds about right... Working at Radio Shack full time in the past I made
:>maybe $600-$700/mo except during the holiday season when I actually made
:>enough to live off of (comission). $4500/year is $375/mo. One can't afford
:>to live with insurance that high if one is making the money a typical
:>college student will make while taking classes.
:
:The whole purpose of going to college is to study

Wow, that's enlightening, Scott: I never knew that! I'm serious;
I knew that college was meant for a lotta stuff, but isn't that
"study" thing a mere formality somewhere down the list? ;}

:and get a good education, not work 50 hours/week at Radio Shaft so you can
:afford to operate and insure a car. College is set up such that you don't
:need a car:

Not being familiar with the scene down there, and therefore just
guessing, this *may* be true in the US. In Canada, you'll likely
have no life unless you're *mobile* (i.e. driving - about three
quarters of BC residents are licensed). Even if you do live in a
university residence. But I'm speaking from having lived on
campus for about five months at the University of British
Columbia in Vancouver, and it seems that much of the rest of the
country isn't exactly the same, and other universities may not
be identical. Fwiw, the chance of me reënrolling at U.B.C. or
remaining long term in Vancouver is marginal to nil, now, I'd
say. $250 000 might change my mind...

:you eat your meals in the cafeteria in your dorm; you walk to
:classes, frat parties, and bars. That's how it was when I was in
:college, and that's how it is today. The college my son attends
:doesn't even allow freshmen to have a car on campus - there is neither
:need nor space.

I think U.B.C. wanted to move in this direction, but too many
students resisted/revolted. But that is very much a "commuter
school", and there isn't really very much of an on campus
"scene", imo. The campus institutions exist primarily for
"utilitarian" purposes rather than "social" or "community" ones.
"America run by the Swiss" at its finest!

:I would rather spend that $4500/year on tuition at a better school
:than waste it on car insurance for kids who don't need to drive.

Fair enough... though better schools aren't always more
expensive, as I'm beginning to find out. :} At $16k/year for
most undergraduate courses, U.B.C. is (I believe) the most
expensive university in Canada. There are nicer and (slightly)
cheaper ones out there that I have now discovered.

Of course, my experiences are largely irrelevant to you since
the college life, as with most or all other cultural aspects,
are substantially different when the latitude drops below
49°0'0" west o' the Great Lakes. *Vastly* different.

(Discreetly X posted)

Old December 8th 04, 10:57 PM
E.R.

:

Old December 8th 04, 11:41 PM
Cory Dunkle

"E.R." > wrote in message
> In a previous posting, "Cory Dunkle" > had
> the audacity to say:
>
> :The reason I was working 60+ hours/week between my two jobs was due to a

bit
> f a personal situation, but that's all behind me now and I'm gettin'

back
> n the ball with school and moving on with my life.
>
> You shouldn't worry yourself too much, Cory, you're a little bit
> younger than me and have apparently come a long way; you still
> have a lot of time. After a period of long term illness I
> started to realize that so long as I'm alive and well, I too
> have a lot of time.

Thanks, good advice. I do still have a lot of life ahead of me, and I plan
to enjoy it with my wonderful girlfriend and take advantage of teh
opportunities I have as far as college and a career go. Life is a journey,
and I'm enjoying it again.

> To me, a college education is important, even if only as a means
> to an end. And I agree with your sentiments about living in
> university residences too. I've only ever had marginal to
> negative experiences in them, so to resume living in one would
> (probably) be a retrograde step for me.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who sees campus life in that light. When
I've talked to people who live on campus about it, they get offended and
seem to think I'm weird. It's like their attitude is 'Going to school and is
serious about getting an education? Doesn't do drugs and doesn't binge
drink?What's wrong with him?'. Of course there are the handful of
'brainiacs' who distance themselves from that, but it just seems like there
aren't many normal people on the college campuses I've visited or spent time
on. They are all party hardy and drink/your drug of choice 'till you pass
out, or very immature and going way too far with jokes and harassment and
childishness, or sex crazed morons saying/doing whatever it takes to get
laid by as many people as possible. I don't get it. I enjoy hanging out with
my buddies, going out and shooting some pool or having a beer or two or
whatever, but at the end of the day I don't pass out from drugs, I get done
work that I need to have done for either work or school, and most days I
make love to the _one_ woman I love. I just don't get the attitude of what
seems like most kids these days. I just go on about my life, help others
where I can, and be respectful towards others unless they give me a reason
not to be.

I don't know what the problem is, but I try to stay away from people like
that. It's one of the things I like about going to Camden County College,
many/most people there are a little tight on money and by going tehre they
really do care about their aducation and succeeding in a career. The
professors all seem to care about the students more than at a typical
private university or a larger school. It's just a great environment. Not to
mention a lot cheaper to get most of my more basic stuff out of the way
before moving on to get a Bachelors degree.

Cory