1938 VW found in Lithuania, some Finnish made parts used for resto

Old November 30th 10, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

Default 1938 VW found in Lithuania, some Finnish made parts used for resto

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...c&st art=2880
Old December 1st 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 11/30/2010 7:24 AM, Jan Andersson wrote:

> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...c&st art=2880

WOW!!

Thank you so much for the alert to this fantastic thread.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old December 1st 10, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 11/30/2010 9:18 PM, Speedy Jim wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 7:24 AM, Jan Andersson wrote:
>>

>> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...c&st art=2880
>>

> WOW!!
>
> Thank you so much for the alert to this fantastic thread.
>

> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Pretty awesome huh. And to think, someone saw through all those
decades-old body mods and recognized what the car used to be!

Old December 1st 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 11/30/2010 4:24 AM, Jan Andersson wrote:

> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...c&st art=2880

What kind of reputation do Finnish made parts have? Are they better than
-- oh, let's say, Taiwanese parts? I gather from reading a few of the
147 pages that some of the parts are handcrafted in a garage in the "Old
World" tradition. If that's the case then I give this restoration effort
my stamp of approval.
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...oved_stamp.jpg
Old December 2nd 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 12/1/2010 10:43 AM, Randall wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 4:24 AM, Jan Andersson wrote:
>>

>> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...c&st art=2880
>>

> What kind of reputation do Finnish made parts have? Are they better than
> -- oh, let's say, Taiwanese parts? I gather from reading a few of the
> 147 pages that some of the parts are handcrafted in a garage in the "Old
> World" tradition. If that's the case then I give this restoration effort
> my stamp of approval.
> http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...oved_stamp.jpg

We (umm, Finland, that is) don't mass produce VW parts. Everything is
hobbyist-driven, hand made, and one-off pieces or extremely short runs
for a one-time group order with committed buyers. Most things that are
produced like this are very high quality, since the whole reason for
making them is to be able to offer something better than the typical
chinese junk. The prices for such parts aren't cheap.
There are some extremely talented craftsmen among the finnish VW crowd

An as a general rule, we take great pride in our work and shoot for
perfection.

Larger production runs with automated tooling, large presses or lots of
paid labor would probably not be feasible due to the limited market. I
mean, how many sets of 1938 running boards can you expect to sell...