auto stick?

Old October 11th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LeRoy

Default auto stick?

I,m working on a 73 auto stick and looking to converse with some one who
is driving one.
I have a couple of questions .
I tried posting on the auto stick web site with no response .
E-mail me at
Old October 12th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"LeRoy" > wrote in message
> I,m working on a 73 auto stick and looking to converse with some one who
> is driving one.
> I have a couple of questions .
> I tried posting on the auto stick web site with no response .
> E-mail me at

ask away, myself and a couple others here have autostick experience...

Old October 12th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "LeRoy" > wrote in message
>> I,m working on a 73 auto stick and looking to converse with some one who
>> is driving one.
>> I have a couple of questions .
>> I tried posting on the auto stick web site with no response .
>> E-mail me at

> ask away, myself and a couple others here have autostick experience...

Please do, I'm all pins and needles.

Old October 12th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LeRoy

On 11/10/2010 9:45 PM, Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "LeRoy" > wrote in message
>> I,m working on a 73 auto stick and looking to converse with some one
>> who is driving one.
>> I have a couple of questions .
>> I tried posting on the auto stick web site with no response .
>> E-mail me at

> ask away, myself and a couple others here have autostick experience...

Thank you for the reply.
I have been very sick, come down with C.O.P.D. and just getting back
into the garage working on my 73 auto stick convertible .
Finishing up plumbing the engine with wiring and vacuum hoses .
This car was a basket case when i started 3 years ago .
I have installed a complete wiring harness, 75 wood grain dash and
rebuild the engine .
Body work done and new interior yet to go in .
The engine has not been started since the rebuild .
See jpeg of the engine .
Can anyone tell me if the transmission vacuum control aolenoid is
auppose to give a "clicking" sound when the ignition switch is turned on
?
My vacuum advance has two ports or places where vacucm hoses attach to
where on the carburetor go they go ?
If look at the picture of my engine you can see a vacuum port on my
csrb. is blocked off.
Is that where the rear vacuum hose is suppose to attach to from the
vacuum advance ?
Old October 12th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LeRoy

On 11/10/2010 11:55 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
> "Joey > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> I,m working on a 73 auto stick and looking to converse with some one who
>>> is driving one.
>>> I have a couple of questions .
>>> I tried posting on the auto stick web site with no response .
>>> E-mail me at

>> ask away, myself and a couple others here have autostick experience...

> Please do, I'm all pins and needles.

I tried posting pictures but they would not go ?
Joey will you send me your e-mail address and i will try sending them
direct to you and may be able to post them ?
Old October 13th 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 10/12/2010 11:56 AM, LeRoy wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 9:45 PM, Joey Tribiani wrote:
>>
>> "LeRoy" > wrote in message
>>> I,m working on a 73 auto stick and looking to converse with some one
>>> who is driving one.
>>> I have a couple of questions .
>>> I tried posting on the auto stick web site with no response .
>>> E-mail me at

>> ask away, myself and a couple others here have autostick experience...

> Thank you for the reply.
> I have been very sick, come down with C.O.P.D. and just getting back into the garage working
> on my 73 auto stick convertible .
> Finishing up plumbing the engine with wiring and vacuum hoses .
> This car was a basket case when i started 3 years ago .
> I have installed a complete wiring harness, 75 wood grain dash and rebuild the engine .
> Body work done and new interior yet to go in .
> The engine has not been started since the rebuild .
> See jpeg of the engine .
> Can anyone tell me if the transmission vacuum control aolenoid is auppose to give a "clicking"
> sound when the ignition switch is turned on ?
> My vacuum advance has two ports or places where vacucm hoses attach to where on the carburetor
> go they go ?
> If look at the picture of my engine you can see a vacuum port on my csrb. is blocked off.
> Is that where the rear vacuum hose is suppose to attach to from the vacuum advance ?

For the carb vacuum, see:
http://www.vw-resource.com/vacuum_lines.html
and:
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html

That distrib timing is set at 5 deg *After* TDC and you need
a strobe timing light.

The solenoid valve should click when key is turned if the shift lever
is lightly pressed. This allows full vacuum to flow to the diaphragm
which operates the clutch.

Strongly suggest investing in either the Haynes or Bentley manual.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old October 13th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
LeRoy

Thanks for the reply Jim .
Old October 16th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"LeRoy" > wrote in message
> On 12/10/2010 11:20 PM, Speedy Jim wrote:

>>> Thank you for the reply.
>>> I have been very sick, come down with C.O.P.D. and just getting back
>>> into the garage working
>>> on my 73 auto stick convertible .
>>> Finishing up plumbing the engine with wiring and vacuum hoses .
>>> This car was a basket case when i started 3 years ago .
>>> I have installed a complete wiring harness, 75 wood grain dash and
>>> rebuild the engine .
>>> Body work done and new interior yet to go in .
>>> The engine has not been started since the rebuild .
>>> See jpeg of the engine .
>>> Can anyone tell me if the transmission vacuum control aolenoid is
>>> auppose to give a "clicking"
>>> sound when the ignition switch is turned on ?
>>> My vacuum advance has two ports or places where vacucm hoses attach to
>>> where on the carburetor
>>> go they go ?
>>> If look at the picture of my engine you can see a vacuum port on my
>>> csrb. is blocked off.
>>> Is that where the rear vacuum hose is suppose to attach to from the
>>> vacuum advance ?

>> For the carb vacuum, see:

http://www.vw-resource.com/vacuum_lines.html
>> and:
>> http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html
>>
>> That distrib timing is set at 5 deg *After* TDC and you need
>> a strobe timing light.
>>
>> The solenoid valve should click when key is turned if the shift lever
>> is lightly pressed. This allows full vacuum to flow to the diaphragm
>> which operates the clutch.
>>
>> Strongly suggest investing in either the Haynes or Bentley manual.
>>

>> Speedy Jim
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
>>

> Thanks for the reply Jim .

Leroy... sorry for the delayed reply, and I see Speedy Jim is on top of
things as usual... As Jim said, the solenoid will click if the connector in
the (two piece) shifter is making contact.... I agree on getting a manual,
and also feel free to ask here as well... but you can't beat the book for
quick answers and good pictures...

if you want to post pictures or video, you need to host them on an internet
site and just post a link here, this is a text only group...