horn ground contact through lever?

Old August 30th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

Default horn ground contact through lever?

I'm fixing my horn on my '65 Ghia. I've troubleshooted by horn
(problems included poor connection on the jumper to the steering box
and a bad relay), and I'm 99% of the way to getting the horn to beep
correctly when I press the horn button.

The last problem I'm facing is that the chrome horn lever (the semi-
circle thing) doesn't make a good electrical connection from the
ground wire (that comes up through the center of the steering column
and screws into the ring near the center of the lever) through to the
copper donut on the underside of the lever. In other words, the copper
donut is NOT grounded. I've checked. (But I can touch the ground wire
to the column and the horn beeps.) I think the only problem left is
that the chrome paint on the lever is a bad conductor.

So am I doing something wrong? I am surprised that anyone expected
electricity to pass through the chrome lever. Maybe there is supposed
to be some type of conductor/jumper that is supposed to go between the
screw that holds the ground wire and the copper donut?

Here is a link to a photo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=d irectlink
(not actually my car, but it looks very similar)

Thanks,

-Sam
Old August 31st 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 8/30/2010 6:11 PM, Sam wrote:
> I'm fixing my horn on my '65 Ghia. I've troubleshooted by horn
> (problems included poor connection on the jumper to the steering box
> and a bad relay), and I'm 99% of the way to getting the horn to beep
> correctly when I press the horn button.
>
> The last problem I'm facing is that the chrome horn lever (the semi-
> circle thing) doesn't make a good electrical connection from the
> ground wire (that comes up through the center of the steering column
> and screws into the ring near the center of the lever) through to the
> copper donut on the underside of the lever. In other words, the copper
> donut is NOT grounded. I've checked. (But I can touch the ground wire
> to the column and the horn beeps.) I think the only problem left is
> that the chrome paint on the lever is a bad conductor.
>
> So am I doing something wrong? I am surprised that anyone expected
> electricity to pass through the chrome lever. Maybe there is supposed
> to be some type of conductor/jumper that is supposed to go between the
> screw that holds the ground wire and the copper donut?
>
> Here is a link to a photo:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...t=d irectlink
> (not actually my car, but it looks very similar)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Sam

Doug posted a phenomenal photo study of exactly what you have he
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic....127622&start=0

See if that doesn't make it clearer and give you some things to test.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 31st 10, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

Great! I'll check that out. Does it apply to the '65 era Ghia?

Old August 31st 10, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

I have a newer setup, without the three pins. It looks sorta like
this:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/DSCN3104.jpg

Again, my only problem is that the ground wire doesn't connect
electrically through the chrome horn lever to the copper donut. I
think I'll just put a copper jumper in there.

-Sam

Old August 31st 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

I annotated the photo to describe my problem:

Old September 1st 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Good photo.

Have you tried roughing up the contact surfaces with
abrasive just as an experiment to see if it will conduct?

Jim

Old September 1st 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam[_10_]

Speedy Jim,

I did, but probably not enough. I'll repeat. I just though I was doing
something wrong because it seems like a design flaw to expect the
chrome to be a good conductor.

Thanks!

-Sam

AASCRA contact Fritz Simulators 1 January 24th 07 04:51 PM
AWA [OFFER] auto horn, electrical horn, horns [email protected] General 0 April 20th 06 11:01 AM
anyone interested can contact with me [email protected] Chrysler 1 August 19th 05 11:06 PM
Truck horn vs. car horn meirman Chrysler 17 August 18th 05 11:27 PM
Positive ground or Negative ground 2.3Sleeper Dodge 27 February 28th 05 04:23 AM