More symptoms in the electrics

Old August 7th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Olli Lammi[_2_]

Default More symptoms in the electrics

Hello!
------

Standard Beetle -73, 1300, 12V generator. The generator light has for
some time had a tendency to glow lightly when brake pedal id depressed
and the glow alters with the turn signal light in the speedo when the
turn signal is on. I have thought that this is a slight starting
corrosion issue in the grounding somewhere.

Now, today when I was trying to find something to eat in the city,
in the traffic lights idling and turn signal on, the G-light came on
bright and the turn signal light in the speedo was completely dark
whether the signal switch was on or off. I don't know if the signals
worked outside or not, the new flasher relay I have is too silent.
Revving the engine did not help. Depressing the brake pedal did not
change anything. When I took off from the lights, the G-light went
soon off. Then this happened after 10 seconds again in a left hander
and G-light disappeared now in few seconds.

Then again after I had had a cup of coffee and started the Beetle,
the G-light stayed on. Revving had no affect. Turn signal light was not
working. After 10 or so seconds, everything was again ok. Now after
this I don't see the glowing of the G-light anymore.

The generator belt is ok.

What am I looking at? Acting up regulator? Something really loose or
corroded? Generator failing to charge intermittently?

---
Olli
Old August 7th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Olli Lammi[_2_]

Olli Lammi wrote:
> Hello!
> ------
>
> Standard Beetle -73, 1300, 12V generator. The generator light has for
> some time had a tendency to glow lightly when brake pedal id depressed
> and the glow alters with the turn signal light in the speedo when the
> turn signal is on. I have thought that this is a slight starting
> corrosion issue in the grounding somewhere.
>
> Now, today when I was trying to find something to eat in the city,
> in the traffic lights idling and turn signal on, the G-light came on
> bright and the turn signal light in the speedo was completely dark
> whether the signal switch was on or off. I don't know if the signals
> worked outside or not, the new flasher relay I have is too silent.
> Revving the engine did not help. Depressing the brake pedal did not
> change anything. When I took off from the lights, the G-light went
> soon off. Then this happened after 10 seconds again in a left hander
> and G-light disappeared now in few seconds.
>
> Then again after I had had a cup of coffee and started the Beetle,
> the G-light stayed on. Revving had no affect. Turn signal light was not
> working. After 10 or so seconds, everything was again ok. Now after
> this I don't see the glowing of the G-light anymore.
>
> The generator belt is ok.
>
> What am I looking at? Acting up regulator? Something really loose or
> corroded? Generator failing to charge intermittently?

To add, my car does not have the an alarm light or buzzer for the
2-circuit brake system that I think the Super models have. Looking at
the circuit diagram that is the other way the G-light might get ground
normally from.

---
Olli
Old August 7th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

It sounds like the battery is under charged.
Charge the battery with a battery charger and test drive it again.

If you are considering replacing the generator, you will be better off
with an alternator conversion kit.

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

http://www.vw-resource.com/replace_generator.html

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 201036466313

Old August 7th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 8/7/2010 8:51 AM, Olli Lammi wrote:
> Hello!
> ------
>
> Standard Beetle -73, 1300, 12V generator. The generator light has for some time had a tendency
> to glow lightly when brake pedal id depressed and the glow alters with the turn signal light
> in the speedo when the turn signal is on. I have thought that this is a slight starting
> corrosion issue in the grounding somewhere.
>
> Now, today when I was trying to find something to eat in the city,
> in the traffic lights idling and turn signal on, the G-light came on bright and the turn
> signal light in the speedo was completely dark whether the signal switch was on or off. I
> don't know if the signals worked outside or not, the new flasher relay I have is too silent.
> Revving the engine did not help. Depressing the brake pedal did not change anything. When I
> took off from the lights, the G-light went
> soon off. Then this happened after 10 seconds again in a left hander
> and G-light disappeared now in few seconds.
>
> Then again after I had had a cup of coffee and started the Beetle,
> the G-light stayed on. Revving had no affect. Turn signal light was not
> working. After 10 or so seconds, everything was again ok. Now after
> this I don't see the glowing of the G-light anymore.
>
> The generator belt is ok.
>
> What am I looking at? Acting up regulator? Something really loose or corroded? Generator
> failing to charge intermittently?
>
> ---
> Olli

A fuse is likely making poor contact. Spin them round or polish/burnish
the holder ends. On your '73, it should be one of the 2 fuses on the
far right (seen from driver's seat).

I say that your generator is still charging correctly (put a multimeter
across the battery to confirm this) but the light is acting up.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old August 8th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Speedy Jim wrote:
> On 8/7/2010 8:51 AM, Olli Lammi wrote:
>> Hello!
>> ------
>>
>> Standard Beetle -73, 1300, 12V generator. The generator light has for
>> some time had a tendency
>> to glow lightly when brake pedal id depressed and the glow alters with
>> the turn signal light
>> in the speedo when the turn signal is on. I have thought that this is
>> a slight starting
>> corrosion issue in the grounding somewhere.
>>
>> Now, today when I was trying to find something to eat in the city,
>> in the traffic lights idling and turn signal on, the G-light came on
>> bright and the turn
>> signal light in the speedo was completely dark whether the signal
>> switch was on or off. I
>> don't know if the signals worked outside or not, the new flasher relay
>> I have is too silent.
>> Revving the engine did not help. Depressing the brake pedal did not
>> change anything. When I
>> took off from the lights, the G-light went
>> soon off. Then this happened after 10 seconds again in a left hander
>> and G-light disappeared now in few seconds.
>>
>> Then again after I had had a cup of coffee and started the Beetle,
>> the G-light stayed on. Revving had no affect. Turn signal light was not
>> working. After 10 or so seconds, everything was again ok. Now after
>> this I don't see the glowing of the G-light anymore.
>>
>> The generator belt is ok.
>>
>> What am I looking at? Acting up regulator? Something really loose or
>> corroded? Generator
>> failing to charge intermittently?
>>
>> ---
>> Olli

> A fuse is likely making poor contact. Spin them round or polish/burnish
> the holder ends. On your '73, it should be one of the 2 fuses on the
> far right (seen from driver's seat).
>
> I say that your generator is still charging correctly (put a multimeter
> across the battery to confirm this) but the light is acting up.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

A 73 really has a generator, not an alternator?
Apply finger pressure to the brushes while the engine is running, see
if the light goes out. The spring that holds the brushes may be weak or
the brushes may be worn out. They should stick out above the bracket
they sit in.
On an alternator, you can't use this trick, there is no direct access to
the brushes.
Old August 8th 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 8/7/2010 9:07 PM, Jan Andersson wrote:
> 73 really has a generator

Yep, until VIN 1132414931/1132438833, or thereabouts.
For US, other markets varied.

SJ
Old August 8th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Speedy Jim wrote:
> On 8/7/2010 9:07 PM, Jan Andersson wrote:
>> 73 really has a generator

> Yep, until VIN 1132414931/1132438833, or thereabouts.
> For US, other markets varied.
>
> SJ

yes.. this is an euro spec car
I could have sworn it would have an alternator.
I dunno. my 72 had a gen, and my 74 had an alt
Old August 8th 10, 11:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Olli Lammi[_2_]

Jan Andersson wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>> On 8/7/2010 9:07 PM, Jan Andersson wrote:
>>> 73 really has a generator

>> Yep, until VIN 1132414931/1132438833, or thereabouts.
>> For US, other markets varied.
>>
>> SJ

> yes.. this is an euro spec car
> I could have sworn it would have an alternator.
> I dunno. my 72 had a gen, and my 74 had an alt

Yes. -73 standard Beetle euro spec. Generator. VIN 113200XXXX.
1300 cc, elephant foot tail lights, twin port heads, doghouse cooling.
One odd thing I have learned is that the rubber boots between the
intake manifold center piece and the twin port ram horns are smaller
in diameter as any of the boots they sell in the parts shops.
The after market boots are for 1600cc models which apparently have
bigger diameter manifold also. Or this is a -73 one year thing or
something.

---
Olli
Old August 9th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Olli Lammi[_2_]

Speedy Jim wrote:

> A fuse is likely making poor contact. Spin them round or polish/burnish
> the holder ends. On your '73, it should be one of the 2 fuses on the
> far right (seen from driver's seat).
>
> I say that your generator is still charging correctly (put a multimeter
> across the battery to confirm this) but the light is acting up.

Fuse 12 (rightmost) measured around 4 ohms in resistance between the
fuse holder clips before any polishing. I went through all the fuses and
holder clips with 400 grain sanding paper. Other end of the fuse 11 was
somewhat melted (the plastic). I replaced that one. Probably there has
been a bad contact which has generated heat enought to melt the plastic.

The glowing of the G-light stopped. Did not encounter any problems
anymore with the charging or turn signals.

Thanks for suggestions.

---
Olli

electrics jacobite BMW 5 June 26th 07 09:06 PM
Tow Bar Electrics Peugeot 406 Audi 1 February 17th 06 02:20 PM
Strange electrics on GTV lanky Alfa Romeo 2 December 23rd 05 11:46 AM
Strange electrics on GTV lanky Alfa Romeo 0 December 20th 05 09:07 PM
156 - quirky electrics Dave Savage Alfa Romeo 1 October 21st 04 05:18 PM