So, What parts cant you get?

Old October 12th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

Default So, What parts cant you get?

Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff. I'm
trying to figure what to stay away from.

Besides rust.

Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection and Mc
pherson struts.

Old October 13th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 10/11/2010 11:49 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
> Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff. I'm
> trying to figure what to stay away from.
>
> Besides rust.
>
> Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection and Mc
> pherson struts.

Browse a typical catalog:
http://www2.cip1.com/default.asp
You can get almost anything.

All Beetles (not just Supers) had FI beginning in '75.

McPherson suspension has its share of fans (I'm not one...)
but you'll have to decide for yourself.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old October 13th 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> On 10/11/2010 11:49 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
>> Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff. I'm
>> trying to figure what to stay away from.
>>
>> Besides rust.
>>
>> Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection and
>> Mc
>> pherson struts.
>>

> Browse a typical catalog:
> http://www2.cip1.com/default.asp
> You can get almost anything.
>
> All Beetles (not just Supers) had FI beginning in '75.
>
> McPherson suspension has its share of fans (I'm not one...)
> but you'll have to decide for yourself.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Thats what i wanted to know. Looks like everything to me.

Thanks Diesel.

Old October 13th 10, 10:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"DogDiesel" > wrote in message

> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>> On 10/11/2010 11:49 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
>>> Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff.
>>> I'm
>>> trying to figure what to stay away from.
>>>
>>> Besides rust.
>>>
>>> Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection
>>> and Mc
>>> pherson struts.
>>>

>> Browse a typical catalog:
>> http://www2.cip1.com/default.asp
>> You can get almost anything.
>>
>> All Beetles (not just Supers) had FI beginning in '75.
>>
>> McPherson suspension has its share of fans (I'm not one...)
>> but you'll have to decide for yourself.

My golf has Mc Phearson struts. My Geo had them. Ive found that if you
change all the parts. They work awesome for a really long time. If you
leave something out, like the top bearings, or leave weak springs in. Then
you probably wasted your time. I hate doing the same job twice. Next year.
The top bearing is really important. AS the whole steering pivots on them.
And the whole strut has to come out tochange it. And most shops just change
the struts and leave them in. But doing them myself, Theyre a lot easier to
change then coil springs. Ive never mesed with king pins though. You
usually have to ream the bushings to fit on pickup trucks. And that sucks
too.

In my Golf I buy assemblies all built. and its 3 bolts. Last set has been in
there about 10 years . And still awesome. But once I decided to do the
front struts in a Rabbit by buying all the pieces seperate and it sucked so
bad. The struts had a welded end on them and it wouldnt go through the
snubbers and dust guards. The spring mounts wouldnt fit the new springs.
Very miserable job.

But when you got new struts and springs all the way around in a Golf you
can go airborne over RR tracks in a Golf and have a really lot of fun. Put
snow tires all the way around and winter is a great fun too. Beter the 4
wheel drive!!

Old October 13th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

Speedy Jim wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 11:49 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
>> Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff. I'm
>> trying to figure what to stay away from.
>>
>> Besides rust.
>>
>> Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection
>> and Mc
>> pherson struts.
>>

> Browse a typical catalog:
> http://www2.cip1.com/default.asp
> You can get almost anything.
>
> All Beetles (not just Supers) had FI beginning in '75.

Not quite, Jim...

They made carburated versions for many market areas well beyond that.
I have personally done routine maintenance on an '88 1200cc beetle that
most certainly was carburated and factory stock

Jan
Old October 13th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

On 10/13/2010 8:03 AM, Jan Andersson wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>> On 10/11/2010 11:49 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
>>> Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff. I'm
>>> trying to figure what to stay away from.
>>>
>>> Besides rust.
>>>
>>> Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection and Mc
>>> pherson struts.
>>>

>> Browse a typical catalog:
>> http://www2.cip1.com/default.asp
>> You can get almost anything.
>>
>> All Beetles (not just Supers) had FI beginning in '75.

> Not quite, Jim...
>
> They made carburated versions for many market areas well beyond that.
> I have personally done routine maintenance on an '88 1200cc beetle that most certainly was
> carburated and factory stock
>
> Jan

Quite so!

Dog Diesel is nearby in US, so I tailored the response to fit.

SJ
Old October 14th 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

On 10/11/2010 8:49 PM, DogDiesel wrote:
> Are some car parts not available. What about the fuel injected stuff. I'm
> trying to figure what to stay away from.
>
> Besides rust.
>
> Vie been warned to stay away from Super beetles with fuel injection and Mc
> pherson struts.

Like the song title says:
http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics...luWLPPqz4JM%3D
But if you make the right connection, you get what you need.

Old October 15th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Vie been warned to stay away from * Super beetles with fuel injection and Mc
> pherson struts.

Having owned both a torsion bar and strut beetle, I like the larger
trunk and, in my opinion, better ride from the strut front end on the
super beetle.

But if said front end is not in good shape, it will shimmy and shake
and generally drive you crazy.

I re-built mine several years back, new steering gearbox, idler arm
bushing, tie rods, center rod, bushings, ball joints, strut carts,
springs, and so on. I did the whole thing....and I put in the strut
tower brace from TopLine parts as well.

It drives awesome now and I would do it again if I got another super
beetle. Don't let the super beetles scare you, they are, in my
opinion, pretty nice cars.

Best,
Chris