Has time expired for coin-operated parking meters?

Old November 12th 05, 08:26 PM
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE

Default Has time expired for coin-operated parking meters?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10003018/

Using cell phones, wireless, IBM takes aim at $26 billion parking
industry

Updated: 4:58 p.m. ET Nov. 11, 2005
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Gary Farrall is a college student’s worst
nightmare. As the parking enforcement supervisor at the University of
California, Santa Barbara, he oversees ten parking officers who write
as many as 400 tickets each day.

But when it comes to coin-operated parking meters, Farrall is no fan:
“The parking meter is over with,” he says. Over with because drivers
now have a way to fight back; a way to beat Gary to the punch by
paying their parking meters using a cell phone.

UCSB is the first place in the nation to replace conventional,
coin-operated parking meters with a wireless, electronic pay-parking
system called Intellipay developed by tech giant IBM.

You park your car, make note of the space and call a toll free number.
Then you give your credit card number and you’re good to go.

When the meter’s about to expire, the meter will call you, giving you
the chance to feed it by credit card before Gary and his gang get a
chance to tag you. But you have to be quick: Gary gets the phone call
from the meter at the same time you do.

(snip)

Old November 12th 05, 09:54 PM
Paul.

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:26:43 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> said the following in rec.autos.driving...

<sarcasm>
What's a parking meter???
</sarcasm>

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10003018/
>
> Using cell phones, wireless, IBM takes aim at $26 billion parking
> industry
>
> Updated: 4:58 p.m. ET Nov. 11, 2005
> SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Gary Farrall is a college student?s worst
> nightmare. As the parking enforcement supervisor at the University of
> California, Santa Barbara, he oversees ten parking officers who write
> as many as 400 tickets each day.

Nice little revenue scam. Typical university.

> But when it comes to coin-operated parking meters, Farrall is no fan:
> ?The parking meter is over with,? he says. Over with because drivers
> now have a way to fight back; a way to beat Gary to the punch by
> paying their parking meters using a cell phone.

<PAF>

Who cares?

"There's not a shred of evidence that the jerries murdered anything
close to 7 million jooz. Another monstrous lie just like the 9-11
official story. "

-- Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend, 12/01/2004
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/9oog5
Old November 13th 05, 02:48 PM
Furious George

Paul. wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:26:43 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> > said the following in rec.autos.driving...
>

> <sarcasm>
> What's a parking meter???
> </sarcasm>
>
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10003018/
> >
> > Using cell phones, wireless, IBM takes aim at $26 billion parking
> > industry
> >
> > Updated: 4:58 p.m. ET Nov. 11, 2005
> > SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Gary Farrall is a college student?s worst
> > nightmare. As the parking enforcement supervisor at the University of
> > California, Santa Barbara, he oversees ten parking officers who write
> > as many as 400 tickets each day.

> Nice little revenue scam. Typical university.

So you think that the mission of the university is to provide students
with free parking.

Old November 14th 05, 02:03 AM
Larry Bud

> > > SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Gary Farrall is a college student?s worst
> > > nightmare. As the parking enforcement supervisor at the University of
> > > California, Santa Barbara, he oversees ten parking officers who write
> > > as many as 400 tickets each day.

> > Nice little revenue scam. Typical university.

> So you think that the mission of the university is to provide students
> with free parking.

Nobody is saying they should get free parking, but when the article
states:

****
"But when it comes to coin-operated parking meters, Farrall is no fan:
"The parking meter is over with," he says. Over with because
drivers
now have a way to fight back; a way to beat Gary to the punch by
paying their parking meters using a cell phone.
****

A way to "FIGHT BACK"??? The students are doing what you want them to
do, pay for parking. The parking Nazis don't like it when they pay,
since it eliminates a big revenue stream of writing tickets.

Old November 14th 05, 04:55 AM
The Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend Blade

Furious George:
> > Nice little revenue scam. Typical university.

> So you think that the mission of the university is to provide students
> with free parking.

News flash, asshole: most universities already CHARGE students with
parking fees (along with to all the other rip-off fees those bastions of
liberalism charge) when they register. Then they intentionally make
student parking scarce to rake in even more with parking tickets.

Maybe if you weren't such a ****ing moron, you would have been able to
be admited to college to experence the fleecing first hand.

Old November 14th 05, 06:29 AM
Old Wolf

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

> UCSB is the first place in the nation to replace conventional,
> coin-operated parking meters with a wireless, electronic pay-parking
> system called Intellipay developed by tech giant IBM.
>
> You park your car, make note of the space and call a toll free number.
> Then you give your credit card number and you're good to go.

Stupid. The meters at my local university allow you to stick your
credit card into them and it charges it; or you can pay for parking
by SMSing the ID of the parking meter to a certain number, and
you get an SMS warning when it is about to expire.

Old November 14th 05, 08:36 AM
Furious George

The Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend Blade wrote:
> Furious George:
> > > Nice little revenue scam. Typical university.

> > So you think that the mission of the university is to provide students
> > with free parking.

> News flash, asshole: most universities already CHARGE students with
> parking fees (along with to all the other rip-off fees those bastions of
> liberalism charge) when they register. Then they intentionally make
> student parking scarce to rake in even more with parking tickets.

You probably think Harvard should knock down some classrooms to make
more room for student parking. That would provide them with value for
their dollar. MIT should get rid of some labs so students can easily
park. If you think college is a rip-off don't go.

Old November 17th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Furious George was motivated to say this in rec.autos.driving on 14 Nov
2005 18:40:03 -0800:
> You are dumber than dubya. Why do you insist on micromanaging Harvard
> and MIT? OK, from now on, the President of the University has to get
> your prior written approval before installing a parking meter or
> issuing a student parking permit.

I never said any such thing. Your reading comprehension skills are on a
par with your jug-eared buddy in the WH. What I suggested was that if
space is such a concern - as you mentioned when YOU first brought up
harvard and mit - was that they COULD easily say that students can't
have cars on campus. As prestegious as those two universities are, I
doubt it would effect their enrollment any.

Those colleges that do make parking difficult for students inorder to
rake in parking ticket revenue are reprehensible. If you can't handle
that, mr. the establishment can do no wrong and the people can do no
right, then that is your tough ****.

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Time Slip Rap CobraJet Ford Mustang 11 March 28th 05 05:54 PM
R*volume*raduis2 c3po "Theroy of everything" zetasum Chrysler 0 February 18th 05 10:16 PM
Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM