Example of Good GM Design :-(

Old August 7th 10, 02:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

Default Example of Good GM Design :-(

The battery in my 2001 C5 died and that's okay as it was almost 3 years
old. I had a heck of a time removing the side terminals because GM left
little or no space to remove side terminals. My only small 8 mm open
end wrench slipped out of my hand and dropped in slot in the bottom of
the battery box. I got the battery out using some small vice grips.
What a dumb-ass design! To make a long story short I managed to fish
the small wrench out using a long telescoping thing with magnet on the
end.

Happiness is Wall Mart batteries! Where else can you get a battery
replaced for free on FRIDAY night. My battery was still within the 36
month warranty and they exchanged it and gave me a new one with
another 36 free replacement starting from Aug 2010.

After a very bad experience with Delco batteries, I only use Wall Mart
batteries. They are as good as most with a better warranty and they are
open 24 hours /7 days a week. Batteries seem to always die on weekends.
Old August 7th 10, 04:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> The battery in my 2001 C5 died and that's okay as it was almost 3
> years
> old. I had a heck of a time removing the side terminals because GM
> left
> little or no space to remove side terminals. My only small 8 mm
> open
> end wrench slipped out of my hand and dropped in slot in the bottom
> of
> the battery box. I got the battery out using some small vice grips.
> What a dumb-ass design! To make a long story short I managed to
> fish
> the small wrench out using a long telescoping thing with magnet on
> the
> end.
>
> Happiness is Wall Mart batteries! Where else can you get a battery
> replaced for free on FRIDAY night. My battery was still within the
> 36
> month warranty and they exchanged it and gave me a new one with
> another 36 free replacement starting from Aug 2010.
>
> After a very bad experience with Delco batteries, I only use Wall
> Mart
> batteries. They are as good as most with a better warranty and they
> are
> open 24 hours /7 days a week. Batteries seem to always die on
> weekends.

Wow, where do you get gloves with 4 thumbs in them? You must have at
least 2 thumbs on each hand for the C5 battery to be a problem in any
way. Try the C4 sometime, or a C1 if you want an adventure. Hint, to
change the C1 it's always easier if it doesn't have acid in it, the C4
you only need to remove some of the front fender. I just changed my
Delco in the truck that was 9 years old this June.

By the way Wal-Mart closes around here at 9:00, that's when most
people get their goats out to take them home for milking, much cooler
in there during the hot days. ;-))

Old August 7th 10, 04:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Richard Hertz

I highly recommend buying a side terminal ratched wrench available in
just about every Vette catalog out there. And, yes I did drop my open
ended 8mm wrench in the well and got it out with a telescoping magnet
thingy like 2yrs later - LOL! I did that when I was putting a bolt-on
charger on the bettery so I didn't have to take the battery out every
winter. I guess I have a true-plug-in hybrid! Only got 4yr out of the
delco because I killed it while running the radio too long while
detailing the car with the engine off. Barely got another 6mo out of it
after that - just plugged in the charger every night! Replaced it with
an Optima red top and still going as strong as the day I bought it 5yr
ago. It has way more cranking Amps than that Delco ever had even when
my '01 had 46mi on it from the dealer (10 of that was my test drive).

"Dad" > wrote in news:1YidnXMdg61qUsHRnZ2dnUVZ_u-
:

Old August 7th 10, 05:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Richard Hertz" > wrote in message
>I highly recommend buying a side terminal ratched wrench available in
> just about every Vette catalog out there. And, yes I did drop my
> open
> ended 8mm wrench in the well and got it out with a telescoping
> magnet
> thingy like 2yrs later - LOL! I did that when I was putting a
> bolt-on
> charger on the bettery so I didn't have to take the battery out
> every
> winter. I guess I have a true-plug-in hybrid! Only got 4yr out of
> the
> delco because I killed it while running the radio too long while
> detailing the car with the engine off. Barely got another 6mo out
> of it
> after that - just plugged in the charger every night! Replaced it
> with
> an Optima red top and still going as strong as the day I bought it
> 5yr
> ago. It has way more cranking Amps than that Delco ever had even
> when
> my '01 had 46mi on it from the dealer (10 of that was my test
> drive).

I second the ratchet, but sadly we don't all have them when needed. I
keep a Craftsman 5/16 (same as 8M/M) X 1/4 in all my cars along with a
set of screwdriver tips to use in the 1/4 end. Have been meaning to
pickup some 1/4 hex drive sockets to go along with the bits.

That dropped wrench thing seem to be getting worse for me, makes me
thankful for the telescopic magnet.

Old August 7th 10, 07:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I[_2_]

On 8/7/2010 11:47 AM, Dad wrote:

> "Richard Hertz" > wrote in message
>> I highly recommend buying a side terminal ratched wrench available in
>> just about every Vette catalog out there. And, yes I did drop my open
>> ended 8mm wrench in the well and got it out with a telescoping magnet
>> thingy like 2yrs later - LOL! I did that when I was putting a bolt-on
>> charger on the bettery so I didn't have to take the battery out every
>> winter. I guess I have a true-plug-in hybrid! Only got 4yr out of the
>> delco because I killed it while running the radio too long while
>> detailing the car with the engine off. Barely got another 6mo out of it
>> after that - just plugged in the charger every night! Replaced it with
>> an Optima red top and still going as strong as the day I bought it 5yr
>> ago. It has way more cranking Amps than that Delco ever had even when
>> my '01 had 46mi on it from the dealer (10 of that was my test drive).
>>

> I second the ratchet, but sadly we don't all have them when needed. I
> keep a Craftsman 5/16 (same as 8M/M) X 1/4 in all my cars along with a
> set of screwdriver tips to use in the 1/4 end. Have been meaning to
> pickup some 1/4 hex drive sockets to go along with the bits.
>
> That dropped wrench thing seem to be getting worse for me, makes me
> thankful for the telescopic magnet.

Wrist strap lanyard. ;-)
Old August 7th 10, 08:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay[_4_]

In article >,
Richard Hertz > wrote:

> highly recommend buying a side terminal ratched wrench available in
> just about every Vette catalog out there.

I now have one. Best $5 deal at Wall Mart. I picked one up when
I swapped the battery.
Old August 8th 10, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
pete

Bob I wrote:

> Wrist strap lanyard. ;-)

Owing one is one thing. Remembering to put it on during a sweaty job is
something else. :-[
--
pj
Old August 10th 10, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
George Csahanin

I found on my C4 that you don't need to remove the fender bolt closest to
the door, but all the others, and hinge out the fender part, and the battery
in/out is no huge problem. I still want to meet the roicket scientist that
decided to put the distributor on front of the LT1 and behind the water pump
and vibration damper...

Old September 7th 10, 12:57 PM
asianinkjet asianinkjet is offline
Banned

Default It's a good idea in my mind

I can't quit follow your words.It's my first time what I heard it.It's really a amazing ideal. Now I undersand what means amazing.Such as I'm a new to the world.I'm quite agree with what you said in the topics led.Infact we only talk about it in our mind but we don't have real exprience led.Now the society technology developed every led day more and more.