Long term parking near nyc

Old May 14th 05, 03:42 AM

Default Long term parking near nyc

Dear All,
I'm visiting new york city for the summer, and need a place to
store/park my car for three months. I don't care how far away from nyc
the parking/storage place is, as long as nyc is accessible by public
transportation. I would like the parking garage to be in a safe place
where I won't have to worry that my car has been broken into. However,
I am very price sensivite. Ideally, I'd like to find a place in the
$50/month range.

I plan to take a couple weekend trips, but other than that, not use my
car at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Old May 14th 05, 03:55 AM

I always imagined storing the car in one of those self storage
facilities. A single car garage with a metal door that is secured with
a U lock. How much do those rent for? Remember it's NYC, in a parking
garage expect a million door dings on your car (new yorkers don't
care). A car cover will not help you there. So the self storage seems
like the best bet.

Old May 14th 05, 05:41 AM
John C.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dear All,
> I'm visiting new york city for the summer, and need a place to
> store/park my car for three months. I don't care how far away from nyc
> the parking/storage place is, as long as nyc is accessible by public
> transportation. I would like the parking garage to be in a safe place
> where I won't have to worry that my car has been broken into. However,
> I am very price sensivite. Ideally, I'd like to find a place in the
> $50/month range.
>
> I plan to take a couple weekend trips, but other than that, not use my
> car at all.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

If you only plan on needing a car for a couple weekend trips, you should
leave your car home. You'll be way ahead by just grabbing a rental for your
limited weekend use. Half-way decent (secure) parking will be more than you
care to spend.
--
John C.

Old May 14th 05, 03:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 13 May 2005 wrote:

> I'm visiting new york city for the summer, and need a place to
> store/park my car for three months. I don't care how far away from nyc
> the parking/storage place is, as long as nyc is accessible by public
> transportation. I would like the parking garage to be in a safe place
> where I won't have to worry that my car has been broken into. However,
> I am very price sensivite. Ideally, I'd like to find a place in the
> $50/month range.

Once upon a time, a man walked into the biggest bank he could find in NYC
and asked for a $2,000 loan. The loan officer asked what he had as
collateral, and the man said he'd be putting his car up as collateral. The
loan officer wanted to see it, so they went outside to where the car, a
high-end Rolls-Royce in perfect condition, was parked. The loan officer
could see the guy didn't need any $2,000 loan, but the officer was also no
fool; he approved the loan and gave the man the cash right on the spot.
The man gave over the keys to his Rolls, and the loan officer had the car
driven into the bank's secure garage.

Three months later, the man walked back into the bank, found the loan
officer and said he wanted to repay the loan in full. The officer
calculated five months' interest and said "Your total is $2,095.15". The
man whipped out a billfold and counted-off the cash, and the loan officer
phoned the quartermaster to fetch the Rolls-Royce. While they were waiting
for the car, the officer asked the man "What gives? You obviously didn't
need that $2,000, and your collateral's worth about a hundred times that
amount!"

The man said "How else was I going to park in the middle of Manhattan for
a dollar and six cents a day?".

So, you could try that trick.

Otherwise, GF&L.

DS