'84 crossfire to carburator conversion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 17th 07, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Art[_3_]

Default '84 crossfire to carburator conversion

Hello All Again,

After doing tremendous research I think the conversion is not very difficult
as long as certain things are compromised. Please allow me to run these
things by everyone for comment.

1. Emissions - 1984 was a very early stage of emission control and the
components can be easily bypassed or disconnected completely and be similiar
to the '79 'vette, as strictly a toy car for me I feel the emmissions issue
is non existant as I dirve the car less than 5000/yrs tops and there are no
emision controls where I live and if I must bypass those laws it can be done
by either reregistering th ecar as a street rod or an antique.

2. Intake and Carb - Edelbrock has a combination that will fit under the
hood and not force outside body alterations,so on the street it is
invisible.

3.Valuation - the value of an '84 C4 with 128,000 miles is very limited as
it now stands probably the maximum value is less than $5,000 a very
inexpensive toy for a play car. With the conversion I know I could sell it
for around $3500.00 a $1,500 loss but much less than a new toy.

4. Distributor - this is kinda up in the air some say it has to be replaced
with a vac advance distributaor and some say t does not, i will have to try
the original first and if it don't work then replace it.

5. The biggest issue is the transmission with the kickdown, most
information is split 50/50 but it appears the the computer does not control
the transmission and is controlled by a cable that may have to custom made
but certainly doable I think.

6. Digital dash - the digital (as another very attempt) will still be
controlled by the ECM.

The total expenditures from Jegs (with the exception of the distributator
and transmission) is less that $500.00

Please give me any comments or knowledge from your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Art
'84 red/red
soon to be carburated