009 DISTRIBUTOR TIMING

Old May 18th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 009 DISTRIBUTOR TIMING

I recommend doing what PJ Berg says.
Sears might carry an inexpensive 'advance' timing light.
This is a timing light with a dial on the back so you don't have to
idle the engine at 3500 rpm or whatever to set the timing.

Old May 19th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

If it is a definite answer you want, I think Speedy gave it to you: DO NOT
GO TO 44 DEGREES.

I have a mild to strong 1915 street engine with 8:1 compression running on
premium gas with engle 120 and 40mm webers.......CB performance recommended,
and I agree, no more that 32 degrees max advance on the 009. I keep a
margin, go at 30 degrees.

FIRE THE PEOPLE WHO TOLD YOU TO GO TO 44!!!!!

Old May 20th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote in message
.. .
> If it is a definite answer you want, I think Speedy gave it to you: DO
> NOT GO TO 44 DEGREES.
>
> I have a mild to strong 1915 street engine with 8:1 compression running
> on premium gas with engle 120 and 40mm webers.......CB performance
> recommended, and I agree, no more that 32 degrees max advance on the 009.
> I keep a margin, go at 30 degrees.
>
> FIRE THE PEOPLE WHO TOLD YOU TO GO TO 44!!!!!

fire the people that recommend premium fuel with 8:1 static compression with
an engle 120....

Old May 22nd 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Morgan Anderson" > wrote in message
> Can someone assist me here. I have a stock 73 Thing with a 1600 dp

motor...

> I was chatting with a service centre who specializes in aircooled. He

said
> to time a stock motor with a 009, you set it at 44 degres at 3500
> RPM...which will end up being about 15 degrees BTDC static. Can anyone
> comfirm this...or just tell me how to time the motor with that
> distributor....and I do have a degree pully.

............You should carefully read the Ken's Buggy Barn link that Speedy
Jim posted. The information in that article is correct and should be
followed...........................44 deg centrifical advance on a stock
motor is ridiculous and will eventually ruin your engine if it hasn't
already.

Old May 22nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> fire the people that recommend premium fuel with 8:1 static compression

with
> an engle 120....

..............I agree that it's OK to run 87 octane on an engine like that
because of the valve timing overlap but the 93 octane stuff will only hurt
you in the wallet and maybe rob some power and maybe make it run a littler
hotter and........uh......maybe you're right.......fire 'em!

Old May 23rd 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message

> .............I agree that it's OK to run 87 octane on an engine like that
> because of the valve timing overlap but the 93 octane stuff will only hurt
> you in the wallet and maybe rob some power and maybe make it run a littler
> hotter and........uh......maybe you're right.......fire 'em!

Tim!...where ya been?

Old May 23rd 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> Tim!...where ya been?

.............Was down in Florida for a week and will in a day or two post a
link to some pics of an alien intruder along with his accomplice that I came
upon one evening at an Olive Garden.

Old May 23rd 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

http://www.runtothesun.co.uk/menus/v...s/0092004.html
Old May 24th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Tim Rogers wrote:
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
>
>>Tim!...where ya been?
>>

> ............Was down in Florida for a week and will in a day or two post a
> link to some pics of an alien intruder along with his accomplice that I came
> upon one evening at an Olive Garden.

heh heh heh

Jan