009 DISTRIBUTOR TIMING

Old May 16th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 009 DISTRIBUTOR TIMING

Can someone assist me here. I have a stock 73 Thing with a 1600 dp motor...

I was chatting with a service centre who specializes in aircooled. He said
to time a stock motor with a 009, you set it at 44 degres at 3500
RPM...which will end up being about 15 degrees BTDC static. Can anyone
comfirm this...or just tell me how to time the motor with that
distributor....and I do have a degree pully.

Thanks;
Morgan

Old May 16th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Morgan Anderson wrote:
> Can someone assist me here. I have a stock 73 Thing with a 1600 dp motor...
>
> I was chatting with a service centre who specializes in aircooled. He said
> to time a stock motor with a 009, you set it at 44 degres at 3500
> RPM...which will end up being about 15 degrees BTDC static. Can anyone
> comfirm this...or just tell me how to time the motor with that
> distributor....and I do have a degree pully.
>
> Thanks;
> Morgan

44 is what a double advance dizzy will give you with the vacuum full in.
The 009 on a T1 engine is most often recomended to be set at 34-36 deg
btdc @ 3500..

J.
Old May 16th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Morgan Anderson wrote:

> Can someone assist me here. I have a stock 73 Thing with a 1600 dp motor...
>
> I was chatting with a service centre who specializes in aircooled. He said
> to time a stock motor with a 009, you set it at 44 degres at 3500
> RPM...which will end up being about 15 degrees BTDC static. Can anyone
> comfirm this...or just tell me how to time the motor with that
> distributor....and I do have a degree pully.
>
> Thanks;
> Morgan

This is an archived page from Ken's defunct site:
http://web.archive.org/web/200410130...com/buggy3.htm

44 deg is a LOT of advance.
Run with that under load and you'll likely punch a hole in
a piston top.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old May 17th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

44 degrees?
I always heard as long as it does not exceed 28 degrees total advance.
I think that makes it about 5 degrees btdc.

Old May 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

so far there is no definitive answer....any other opinions out there?

. com...

Old May 18th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Morgan Anderson wrote:
> so far there is no definitive answer....any other opinions out there?
>

> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Morgan Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone assist me here. I have a stock 73 Thing with a 1600 dp
>>> motor...
>>>
>>> I was chatting with a service centre who specializes in aircooled. He
>>> said to time a stock motor with a 009, you set it at 44 degres at 3500
>>> RPM...which will end up being about 15 degrees BTDC static. Can anyone
>>> comfirm this...or just tell me how to time the motor with that
>>> distributor....and I do have a degree pully.
>>>
>>> Thanks;
>>> Morgan
>>>

>> This is an archived page from Ken's defunct site:
>> http://web.archive.org/web/200410130...com/buggy3.htm
>>
>> 44 deg is a LOT of advance.
>> Run with that under load and you'll likely punch a hole in
>> a piston top.
>>
>> Speedy Jim
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

If you haven't found a definitive answer, it's because there is none.

30 degrees is the most agreed upon benchmark but your engine
might be different. I settled on 34 for a Berg-inspired 1776 with
7.1:1 CR and dual Dells after much trial and error. But I was also
running a BP4061 cam. Every individual engine is different. The
cam, CR, carb jetting all play a part. If you have a stock Solex
carb, get an SVDA and pitch the 009. It will be the best investment
you could make.

RT
--
E-mail=fullname,no initial-at-telus.net

Old May 18th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Morgan Anderson" > wrote in message
.. .
> so far there is no definitive answer....any other opinions out there?

What do you mean by that? You want the voice of God to tell you what's
correct? Read Speedy Jim's posts. He knows better than God WTF is good for
timing.

Old May 18th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I have "other" opinions.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=32090944&f="Den's
Dogs</a>

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old May 18th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

to everyone....thanks.....i appreciate it...if there are other schools of
thought on 009 timing feel free to post...I will check it