Alfasud Sprint 1.7QV water pump leakage

Old April 21st 06, 02:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Alfasud Sprint 1.7QV water pump leakage

Hello,

My (t)rusty Sprint has has just developed a coolant leak from what
appears to be a core plug in the front of the water pump, although not
one of my various repair manuals shows that particular model of water
pump.
When the engine is hot there's a fast drip, about an eggcupful a minute
and even when cold there's still some seepage. There's no play in the
pump shaft/pulley so I'm loathed to replace the entire thing, does
anyone know if there's a way of fixing/bodging a leaky core plug, maybe
some sort of sealant or glue?
It's my only car and parts are scarce here in rural france so I'm
anxious to keep it running until I can find a more permanent solution.

I have most common workshop tools; socket set, pullers, etc. and am
reasonably competent with a spanner (replacing driveshafts, cambelts,
shock absorbers) so any advice would be much appreciated.

I can take a photo if that would be helpful.

Thankyou for your time,

Regan

Old April 21st 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Regan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My (t)rusty Sprint has has just developed a coolant leak from what
> appears to be a core plug in the front of the water pump, although not
> one of my various repair manuals shows that particular model of water
> pump.
> When the engine is hot there's a fast drip, about an eggcupful a minute
> and even when cold there's still some seepage. There's no play in the
> pump shaft/pulley so I'm loathed to replace the entire thing, does
> anyone know if there's a way of fixing/bodging a leaky core plug, maybe
> some sort of sealant or glue?

If it's a core plug, I woudl geuss the only permanent fix would be to drill
it and helicoil it with a new plug. That would be unpleasant I suspect.

IIWY I'd try some chemical metal, or similar, see if you can plug it up

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8307

perhaps or

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8679

> It's my only car and parts are scarce here in rural france so I'm
> anxious to keep it running until I can find a more permanent solution.

Ahh, France, huh. Well if Frost won't deliver, let me know and I'll order
and ship it on. Can't bear to see another Sprint in pain

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old April 24th 06, 09:14 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Regan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My (t)rusty Sprint has has just developed a coolant leak from what
> appears to be a core plug in the front of the water pump, although not
> one of my various repair manuals shows that particular model of water
> pump.
> When the engine is hot there's a fast drip, about an eggcupful a minute
> and even when cold there's still some seepage. There's no play in the
> pump shaft/pulley so I'm loathed to replace the entire thing, does
> anyone know if there's a way of fixing/bodging a leaky core plug, maybe
> some sort of sealant or glue?
> It's my only car and parts are scarce here in rural france so I'm
> anxious to keep it running until I can find a more permanent solution.
>
> I have most common workshop tools; socket set, pullers, etc. and am
> reasonably competent with a spanner (replacing driveshafts, cambelts,
> shock absorbers) so any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> I can take a photo if that would be helpful.

A photo would be helpful, but if it's just the normal core plug, they
are very cheap, and are easy to replace. All it takes is to stick an
old screw driver through the middle, then lever it out. Clean the outer
edges ready for the new plug. Then just tap the new plug in using a
socket and hammer, a small amount of gasket sealant on the edges may
help it too. Top up water with the heater controls on hot and it should
be OK, 1 hours work.
John,UK.

Old April 24th 06, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Thankyou for your swift reply Catman, I've ordered a catalogue from the
french distributors of Frost's products, that 'Oyltite stick' looks
very handy for my old tractor, it's always dribbling in one place or
another. Thankyou for offering to send me some.
I do have some of that 2 part 'liquid steel' filler but as the leak is
very near the cambelt I'm worried what might happen should the water
pressure blow the filler off. I've ordered a new water pump (about
£30) which I should be able to pick up this afternoon, it's never had
a new one and with over 100K miles on the clock it doesn't seem like an
extravagance, especially as i'll have to drain the coolant and remove
the radiator, cambelt etc. to get at it, even to bodge a repair. The
only thing that worries me slightly is the description in the Hayne's
manual, "It is not easy to remove"! Sounds ominous to me.

Thankyou John, I found an old copy of Practical Classics with an
article on core plug replacement but it's more the accessibility which
is a problem, coupled with the fact that I'm not entirely sure it was
simply the core plug that started leaking or another, more fundamental
problem with the pump that caused it. When I've fitted the new pump i
shall examine the old one to see what was wrong and have a go at core
plug removal without any risks.

I'll report back when it's replaced !

Old April 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Regan wrote:

> Thankyou for your swift reply Catman, I've ordered a catalogue from the
> french distributors of Frost's products, that 'Oyltite stick' looks
> very handy for my old tractor, it's always dribbling in one place or
> another. Thankyou for offering to send me some.
> I do have some of that 2 part 'liquid steel' filler but as the leak is
> very near the cambelt I'm worried what might happen should the water
> pressure blow the filler off. I've ordered a new water pump (about
> £30) which I should be able to pick up this afternoon, it's never had
> a new one and with over 100K miles on the clock it doesn't seem like an
> extravagance, especially as i'll have to drain the coolant and remove
> the radiator, cambelt etc. to get at it, even to bodge a repair. The
> only thing that worries me slightly is the description in the Hayne's
> manual, "It is not easy to remove"! Sounds ominous to me.

It's not. It's an utter pig. It's the one job I've given up on after
trying was the cambelt change on the Sprint (turns out we had the wrong
ones anyway) OTOH ISTR I was doing something silly. I still have the
tattoo scars on my knuckles

Old April 26th 06, 09:24 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> Thankyou for your time,

Don't know pecisely your water pump model, but on boxer I found at the time
similar problem. There was a leak from something like plug in the pump
casing, but we found out that it was permanent passage from the moment it
was new. The leak was becouse of worn pump internal seal and there was no
way to fix it - we replaced the pump. Wasn't too expensive, one day work
without the workshop.

Regards
Szymon

Old April 26th 06, 09:47 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

It seems the entire pre 147 boxer range has the same water pump, which
is handy as the 1.7 sprint doesn't exist according to the vast majority
of french parts suppliers.
That's exactly the problem I had, Szymon, what I took to be a core plug
was in fact a seal with a 'weep hole' and despite the lack of any
squealing the seals had gone, which I suppose isn't bad for 17 years of
use.

>It's not. It's an utter pig.<

I think that's the understatement of the year, I had to resort to a
cold chisel and lump hammer to 'unstick' the pump, then a spring
copressor hooked round the back of the pulley mount, lots of padding,
planks, bracing and copius swearing to get it out.

Old April 26th 06, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Regan wrote:

> It seems the entire pre 147 boxer range has the same water pump, which
> is handy as the 1.7 sprint doesn't exist according to the vast majority
> of french parts suppliers.
> That's exactly the problem I had, Szymon, what I took to be a core plug
> was in fact a seal with a 'weep hole' and despite the lack of any
> squealing the seals had gone, which I suppose isn't bad for 17 years of
> use.
>
>>It's not. It's an utter pig.<

> I think that's the understatement of the year, I had to resort to a
> cold chisel and lump hammer to 'unstick' the pump, then a spring
> copressor hooked round the back of the pulley mount, lots of padding,
> planks, bracing and copius swearing to get it out.

Fixed now?
Old April 26th 06, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

>Fixed now?

Yes!

It's running much cooler now, the pump must have been quietly giving up
for some time as I'd always had problems in the hot weather, usually
leaving the bonnet slightly open at the back to keep it cool in
traffic. My first car, a 33, was the same so I assumed it was normal.

Thankyou all for your help and advice.

Old April 26th 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Regan wrote:

>>Fixed now?

> Yes!
>
> It's running much cooler now, the pump must have been quietly giving up
> for some time as I'd always had problems in the hot weather, usually
> leaving the bonnet slightly open at the back to keep it cool in
> traffic. My first car, a 33, was the same so I assumed it was normal.

No, definitley not

> Thankyou all for your help and advice.

Groovy.