Electric Fuel pump question

Old January 23rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Electric Fuel pump question

Any of you have one on your car? I have a type one and it came with a 1776
cc motor, single 40ida? Weber, and an electri fuel pump. It is the same one
as sold by JC Whitney , a Facet brand. I need any instructions that may have
come with it. ANy of you have a copy you could fax?

My number is 281-494-4633

Thanks! Mike

Old January 23rd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> Any of you have one on your car? I have a type one and it came with a 1776
> cc motor, single 40ida? Weber, and an electri fuel pump. It is the same
> one
> as sold by JC Whitney , a Facet brand. I need any instructions that may
> have
> come with it. ANy of you have a copy you could fax?
>
> My number is 281-494-4633
>
> Thanks! Mike

simple....flow arrow shows flow of fuel through pump.....red is positive,
black is negative.... you should think about a saftety circuit that will
kill the pump in case of an emergency....

Old January 24th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Any of you have one on your car? I have a type one and it came with a
1776
cc motor, single 40ida? Weber, and an electri fuel pump. It is the same
one
as sold by JC Whitney , a Facet brand. I need any instructions that may
have
come with it. ANy of you have a copy you could fax? "

The facet pump is rather noisy and I personally found them to be
unreliable. You must mount it under the tank, as it does not 'pull'
fuel.

Personally, I'd recommend running the stock fuel pump. I ran the stock
pump with dual webbers and never had a problem. I would imagine you'd
be just fine with the stock arrangement considering you only have one
carburetor.

Chris

Old January 24th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I have looked the pump over and found no flow arrow. Safety circuit, like a
switch or an inline fuse?

Mike
newszdBf.69268$QW2.24979@dukeread08...

Old January 24th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
>I have looked the pump over and found no flow arrow. Safety circuit, like a
> switch or an inline fuse?

a safety circuit like this will be a nice addition....
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/pump.gif

if you wire it straight to the ignition it may continue to pump fuel in
the event of an accident....that can be bad.... you can also get an inertia
switch (like a late model ford truck uses or similar) that will stop power
to th epump in the event of a collision...... i at one time had a very nice
safety switch that was overkill....it was designed for use in racecars and
had an inertia switch, a relay that hooked into your oil pressure circuit
and had a mercury switch tha twould kill power in the event of a
rollover....as i said, it was overkill and also pretty expensive....but i
had it on hand....now a simple circuit such as above is what i use...

Old January 24th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Ok, the only helpful comment I can make concerns the weber carb. I am
running dual webers and had problem with the fuel pressure. The weber
books I have stress that to much fuel pressure causes them to run like
crap (over 3 lbs). I put a fuel regulator after the fuel pump and set
it at 3 lbs pressure. It ran much better without any exhaust popping or
overloading at all ranges and the exhaust pipe is not black anymore.
By the way, this is with a stock fuel pump. Good luck. Dennis

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old January 25th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Bart Bervoets" > wrote in message
>I installed one next to the engine, is not under the
> tank but never gave me a hassle.
> Saved me from those mechanical pumps which always fail
> and cost 5 times the price of an electric one.

IMHO, you have been lucky.

I mounted one of John C's rotary pumps under the tank. I also wrapped it
with 1/2" fuelproof aircraft soundproofing. It is almost dead silent and
works very well.

It is critical to use a filter between the tank and pump. I put another
filter in back. Clean fuel is a good thing.

Old January 25th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I installed one next to the engine, is not under the
tank but never gave me a hassle.
Saved me from those mechanical pumps which always fail
and cost 5 times the price of an electric one.

Bart Bervoets
ups.com...

Old January 26th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Yes, i did installed a filter as well.

Bart Bervoets

Old February 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

>> I mounted one of John C's rotary pumps under the tank. I also wrapped it
>> with 1/2" fuelproof aircraft soundproofing. It is almost dead silent and
>> works very well.

Looks like I may need to consider the electric pump option. If they
can hold up to the ethanol gas we have to run in our tanks for four
months of the year. Since blended gas was introduced I have been going
through Mexican/Brazilian mechanical pumps on average of one pump every
two years.