A$2.00 a litre has passed

Old May 28th 08, 07:51 AM posted to aus.cars,aus.consumers,aus.general,rec.autos.misc
Saab C900 Viggenist

Default A$2.00 a litre has passed

Ron <dodo@hotmail> writes:

>http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...8-3102,00.html

>FUEL prices in a Queensland outback town have soared to more than $2 a
>litre - as Premier Captain Anna Bligh said she would oppose moves to cut
>GST on pump prices.

It was over $1.60 per litre this morning in my part of Sydney. The
government won't do anything re fuel pricing until it's forced to stop the
double-dipping taxation regime (fuel excises + GST).

>The Rudd government is considering removing the GST on fuel excise as
>part of its wide-ranging taxation review.

Whoopedoo. Excise on petrol is approximately 40 cents per litre, so GST on
that is about 3 cents. Fat lot of good that will do to the pricing. It'll
get eaten up immediately by the fuel company pricing cycles.

Removing GST totally on fuel might help in the short term. Removing excise
altogether would be the best move, but that will cause a big upswing in fuel
demand which will drive up the prices. Nasty cycle which won't get any
better as demands continue to outstrip supply.

BTW Shell still has no V-power in Sydney. It's like Shell has decided to
drop high-octane unleaded fuel in favour of other things. No idea what they
would be, but my bet is 'high octane' ethanol blends which will pump up
demand even more because of the lower energy energy output per unit volume
of ethanol-blend fuels (by around 20 to 30 percent).

Craig.
--
Craig's Saab C900 Page at | Craig's Classic Saab Workshop - Sydney .au
http://lios.apana.org.au/~c900 | http://www.classicsaab.net and other URL's
Old May 28th 08, 01:11 PM posted to aus.cars,aus.consumers,aus.general,rec.autos.misc
Noddy[_3_]

"Saab C900 Viggenist" > wrote in message

> Removing GST totally on fuel might help in the short term. Removing excise
> altogether would be the best move, but that will cause a big upswing in
> fuel
> demand which will drive up the prices.

At what point in this country's history (or that of any other for that
matter) have you known fuel usage to be excessive simply because it was
cheap? People will generally use the same amount of fuel they always do, it
just won't cost as much.

Removing the excise will certainly make it cheaper, but it would create a
*huge* hole in government revenue that will have to be made up in other
ways. The Government is reluctant to remove the GST component on the excise
because it will cause a billion dollar reduction in revenue in exchange for
a ****weak few cents per litre price drop that would be absorbed into the
system immediately.

Removing the excise on fuel would cause a revenue shortfall many times that,
and create huge problems in other areas.

> Nasty cycle which won't get any better as demands continue to outstrip
> supply.

Where is fuel in short supply?

There is *no* shortage of oil, and talk of countries like India and China
suddenly becoming huge users causing a supply problem is nothing short of
fanciful bull****. The problem isn't supply outstripping demand, but
production limitations imposed by oil producing nations for no reason other
than to keep prices artificially high.

They could increase production tomorrow at a moment's notice and cause a
glut on the market which would see the barrel price fall through the floor,
but that's precisely what they *don't* want to happen.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Old May 28th 08, 04:42 PM posted to aus.cars,aus.consumers,aus.general,rec.autos.misc
autocheck

On May 27, 11:51*pm, Saab C900 Viggenist >
wrote:
> Ron <dodo@hotmail> writes:
> >http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...8-3102,00.html
> >FUEL prices in a Queensland outback town have soared to more than $2 a
> >litre - as Premier Captain Anna Bligh said she would oppose moves to cut
> >GST on pump prices.

> It was over $1.60 per litre this morning in my part of Sydney. The
> government won't do anything re fuel pricing until it's forced to stop the
> double-dipping taxation regime (fuel excises + GST).
>
> >The Rudd government is considering removing the GST on fuel excise as
> >part of its wide-ranging taxation review.

> Whoopedoo. Excise on petrol is approximately 40 cents per litre, so GST on
> that is about 3 cents. Fat lot of good that will do to the pricing. It'll
> get eaten up immediately by the fuel company pricing cycles.
>
> Removing GST totally on fuel might help in the short term. Removing excise
> altogether would be the best move, but that will cause a big upswing in fuel
> demand which will drive up the prices. Nasty cycle which won't get any
> better as demands continue to outstrip supply.
>
> BTW Shell still has no V-power in Sydney. It's like Shell has decided to
> drop high-octane unleaded fuel in favour of other things. No idea what they
> would be, but my bet is 'high octane' ethanol blends which will pump up
> demand even more because of the lower energy energy output per unit volume
> of ethanol-blend fuels (by around 20 to 30 percent).
>
> Craig.
> --
> Craig's Saab C900 Page at * * *| Craig's Classic Saab Workshop - Sydney .auhttp://lios.apana.org.au/~c900|http://www.classicsaab.netand other URL's
> Email: *| For Saab 99/C900/9000 Enthusiasts World-Wide!
> Alternate: | Web-forums, galleries, library, links, etc.

Why not start reducing the impact of higher gasoline, diesel and bio-
diesel fuels NOW!
Save 13 - 16%+ fuel with "Ultimate ME2" added per fill-up - which also
reduces Carbon Monoxide emissions by 33% and NOx/Oxides of Nitrogen/
smog by 44% Now!
or "Mach 3 SEFS-HD" for Heavy Duty Diesel applications over 400 HP -
saving 9 - 20%+ and with equivalent emissions reductions.
Visit www.eyicom.com/healthcheck or www.eepint.com for all details.
Contact : for all other product and business details
- buy On-line and determine how much you can save with Ultimate ME2 or
Mach 3 SEFS-HD.
Thanks for listening - Hugh Love - Certified Representative
Old May 31st 08, 02:34 AM posted to aus.cars,aus.consumers,aus.general,rec.autos.misc
Dinsdale Pirana

On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:49:38 +1000, Albm&ctd
> wrote in aus.general:

>In article >,
says...
>> Where is fuel in short supply?

>contribute 8% of Australias greenhouse gases. Bit like turning off your
>light for an hour by buying a hybrid for some self gratifying wank fest
>that does **** all for the planet. Best to get solar hot water systems
>and insulation into all homes to lessen the burden on a daily basis for
>some real savings in heavy electrical loads. Why don't people understand,
>turning off a light bulb saves **** all compared to a hot water system or
>air conditioner?

While I don't disagree with your sentiments it is not so clear cut as
that. Off peak hot water heaters save us a fortune in oil by keeping
generating plant running during low demand periods (as does pumping
water uphill in the Snowy and Shoalhaven schemes if there is water to
pump)

Regards
Dinsy

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

No wonder we got passed Padraig Auto Photos 0 May 29th 07 03:57 AM
It Passed! SteveH Alfa Romeo 3 March 27th 07 11:29 PM
PASSED Emissions! Cameron Ford Mustang 7 August 11th 06 02:35 PM
ATF+4 Passed on Coasty Jeep 1 August 19th 05 11:38 AM
That's another MOT passed, then :-) SteveH Alfa Romeo 0 May 17th 04 08:04 PM