009 distributor replacement question

Old May 19th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
nowan

Default 009 distributor replacement question

Kragen Auto has a distributor with vacuum advance (item # 31908) in their
online catalog. Anyone know if this is a SVDA type? How does one tell if it
is a SVDA? The brand is CARDONE - anyone have experience with one of these?

I have the 009/34PICT3 setup now & am trying to improve the hesitation off
idle and any input is appreciated!
Old May 20th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

"nowan" > schreef in bericht
> Kragen Auto has a distributor with vacuum advance (item # 31908) in their
> online catalog. Anyone know if this is a SVDA type? How does one tell if
> it
> is a SVDA? The brand is CARDONE - anyone have experience with one of
> these?
>
> I have the 009/34PICT3 setup now & am trying to improve the hesitation off
> idle and any input is appreciated!

Read through these two links and you might be able to fix it yourself.
Without buying a new dizzy...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...sitation&hl=en

http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html

hth
Roger

Old May 20th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
nowan

"bug '59" > wrote in
:

> "nowan" > schreef in bericht
>> Kragen Auto has a distributor with vacuum advance (item # 31908) in
>> their online catalog. Anyone know if this is a SVDA type? How does
>> one tell if it
>> is a SVDA? The brand is CARDONE - anyone have experience with one of
>> these?
>>
>> I have the 009/34PICT3 setup now & am trying to improve the
>> hesitation off idle and any input is appreciated!

> Read through these two links and you might be able to fix it yourself.
> Without buying a new dizzy...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...led/search?q=0
> 09+hesitation&hl=en
>
> http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html
>
> hth
> Roger

Thanks for the google link - seems there may be a solution other than
replacement. At leasto worth attempting!
Old May 21st 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

If its an SVDA it will have one vacuum hose. If its a pollution control one
it will have two hoses . Never heard of "Cardone" but its worth a try ,
009,s are waste of space. Let us all know!!!.

Old May 22nd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall Post

nowan wrote:
> Kragen Auto has a distributor with vacuum advance (item # 31908) in their
> online catalog. Anyone know if this is a SVDA type? How does one tell if it
> is a SVDA? The brand is CARDONE - anyone have experience with one of these?
>
> I have the 009/34PICT3 setup now & am trying to improve the hesitation off
> idle and any input is appreciated!

I accessed the CARDONE web site and sent them an email asking which Bosch or VW
part numbers corresponded with the following CARDONE distributor part numbers.
All three are for aircooled VWs. Here is their answer.

31-902 cast unit; our OE doesn't have a number on it.

31-908 0231 437 039
0231 137 029
0231 137 035

31-910 113 905 205AJ
0231 146 101

(End of CARDONE answer)

If you go to the following link you will find a list of correct distributors for
various years and models.
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A905205ZB

The 035 is a vacuum only model. The 039 and 029 are not found on the list.
The 205AJ must be a DVDA (2 vacuum hoses) since the timing is set at 5 degrees ATDC.
The 101 is an acceptable substitute for use with the 34PICT series carbs. The
list says the following about the 101 under 'Beetle (Puebla, Mexico) With Points
Distributor'.
"This is THE Distributor to use on your stock engine w/Solex 30PICT-3,
H30/31PICT Series or 34PICT Series carbureted 1600 Beetle thru 1974 (75-79
w/Carb) & Type 2 1600 thru 1971. It is NOT recommended for use with the 30PICT-1
or 30PICT-2 because the vacuum signal is incorrect for the vacuum assist to work
properly. This Distributor is essentially a "009" with a Vacuum Advance Assist
to help prevent hesitation in all of those Stop-n-Go situations in city traffic."
As to whether the 101 actually performs as well as the 043-905-205ZB Mexican
manufactured distributor, that is something you will have to decide for yourself.

The CARDONE 31-910 (equivalent to 0231 146 101) costs $51.99. The three views of
the distributor show one vacuum hose connection.
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...rtNumber=31910
So, use your own judgment -- caveat emptor.

Randall