Flathead Ford V-8

Old November 29th 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

Default Flathead Ford V-8

Scott Buchanan wrote:

> It is a 21 stud engine. The only numbers that I can make sense of is what
> looks like casting dates on the heads.

First off, all the info I have is for engine from the '40s. These were 24 stud
engines. My books indicate that Ford engines had 24 studs from 1938 through
1942, so yours may be older than that. My comments will be of dubious value if
that's the case. You might try checking out illustrations in the on-line
catalogs of Mac's Auto Parts or Dennis Carpenter. They may provide clues.
Carpenter also might be interested in buying yours for rebuilding.

The serial number for a '40s engine should be on the rear of the engine on top
of the clutch housing. The 85 hp engine numbers start at 18-5210701 for 1940,
and the 60 hp numbers start at 54-506501 for that year. I have numbers through 1948.

> The cylinder bores are well worn and measure about 3.115. Does this leave
> enough to be bored out?

Bore in the early 40s was 3.0625". This went to 3.187 in 1946. Keep in mind that
no cars were produced in 1943 through 1945, though some engines were made for
military use. In my younger days, I was told that one could go a maximum of
..125" over, so you should be able to clean these up. The real question is
whether or not you can find oversize pistons for it. They're probably available.

> One connecting rod journal measures 1.9875. Can this be re-ground?

Probably. Stock size for 1940 ran from 1.998" to 1.999". Sizes were well over 2"
in 1946, so this indicates that your engine is pre-war. So does the bore.

> If it is good how much is it worth?

Dennis Carpenter sells rebuilt short block assemblies for $3,500. On the other
hand, un-rebuilt ones go for very little on Ebay. Carpenter caters to restorers
and the Ebay seller are hotrodders selling what they view as junk.

The transmission is a puzzler. I think Ford used 3-speed trannies in cars of
this period. Perhaps it's from a truck.

George Patterson
Forgive your enemies. But always remember who they are.
Old November 29th 06, 05:04 AM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
Scott Buchanan

I have a flathead Ford V-8 engine that I want to get rid of. The only reason
that I have it is that the previous owner had just moved it out of dry
storage into the
field and I hated to see it destroyed by the northwest rains. Well that was
more than 10 years ago.

I am hopping that I can learn the year of the engine, if it can be re-built
and how much it is worth. All the parts are there except the air filter.
There is a four speed transmission too.

It is a 21 stud engine. The only numbers that I can make sense of is what
looks like casting dates on the heads. They are both in 39. There are a lot
of stamps on the surface that the intake manifold is bolted to. There are no
cast numbers that I can see. The bell housing has a 6 or a 9 stamped on it.
I have not pulled the main caps but I am pretty sure that the bearings have
not been poured.

The cylinder bores are well worn and measure about 3.115. Does this leave
enough to be bored out?

One connecting rod journal measures 1.9875. Can this be re-ground?

There is a lot of scale and rust in the water jacket.

What else should I look for to see if the engine can be used?

If it is good how much is it worth?

Thanks, Scott