power steering repair steps

Old March 23rd 05, 03:41 AM
Dick Epstein

Default power steering repair steps

I have a 1966 Mustang, 289ci, PS. Over the years I have kept this in bone
stock condition, fixing things here and there.

The PS always has been a pain. I have replaced 3 pumps in the last 15
years. One went out, one leaked so bad I could not use it and the last one
just froze.

I would like to rebuild these (or at least make one very good one). Some
have told me that the rebuilding, if you can get good parts and
instructions, is far, far superior to any factory and/or parts house ones.

BUT....... where do I find the instructions???? The Mustang manuals don't
show any breakdowns or how to tear it down (and, conversely, put it back
together).

Any help would be appreciated.

Ep

Old March 23rd 05, 05:09 AM
Mark C.

If you're good at puzzles then you should be able to figure out how it goes
back together. Just make sure you index the parts as they can go back
together 180 degrees off or backwards and then you'd have to dissasemble it
again after a few cuss words and a beer break. Been there done that.
You'll see what I mean when you take one apart, it's really quite simple.
The biggest pain I've found about rebuilding yourself is leaks. Make sure
you install all new gaskets included in the rebuild kit and don't over
torque. What condition are your power valve and slave cylinder in? They may
be the problem and need rebuilding or replacement.

Mark
--
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
what?".