Thanks Backyard (O2 sensor replacement)

Old March 18th 05, 03:27 AM
Chuck

Default Thanks Backyard (O2 sensor replacement)

Recap:... I had an intermittent problem with an O2 sensor, plus
possible fuel contamination. Ran out bad gas, ran "sea foam" through
vacuum hose, and put some into gas. Made O2 sensor problem go away
and car ran normal..

As per Backyard's suggestion that O2 sensors aren't made to last
forever.. I changed all four of mine. I had 138,000 miles on mine in
a 96 coupe. Now car seems to be more responsive than before (when
computer wasn't in limp home mode..)
$290 for parts and 15 minutes on the lift.. Now when I do have a
problem or get a code... and least O2 sensors shouldn't be a problem
for a while... Looking forward to checking milage on next trip..
Chuck
Old March 18th 05, 03:43 AM
Wound Up

Chuck wrote:
> Recap:... I had an intermittent problem with an O2 sensor, plus
> possible fuel contamination. Ran out bad gas, ran "sea foam" through
> vacuum hose, and put some into gas. Made O2 sensor problem go away
> and car ran normal..
>
> As per Backyard's suggestion that O2 sensors aren't made to last
> forever.. I changed all four of mine.

IT HAS FOUR?? Good Lord. I again thank the stars for my '67.

I changed the O2 sensor in my Tempo at 124k. At 196k, she's no beauty
queen, but 28-33 mpg is nice with gas prices where they are.

ByM -is- a crusty old geezer curmudgeon, but he doesn't talk (much) ****.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 18th 05, 08:18 PM
Chuck

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:33:36 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
> wrote:

>Chuck opined in :
>
>> Recap:... I had an intermittent problem with an O2 sensor, plus
>> possible fuel contamination. Ran out bad gas, ran "sea foam" through
>> vacuum hose, and put some into gas. Made O2 sensor problem go away
>> and car ran normal..
>>
>> As per Backyard's suggestion that O2 sensors aren't made to last
>> forever.. I changed all four of mine. I had 138,000 miles on mine in
>> a 96 coupe. Now car seems to be more responsive than before (when
>> computer wasn't in limp home mode..)
>> $290 for parts and 15 minutes on the lift.. Now when I do have a
>> problem or get a code... and least O2 sensors shouldn't be a problem
>> for a while... Looking forward to checking milage on next trip..
>> Chuck

>Much as I appreciate kudo's... I dont advocate replacing O2 sensors for
>"aging".
>and a search of the group on google doesnt show me responding to that.
>http://tinyurl.com/4h75q
>
>Looks lik eit might have been JS and REIN
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5yabw
>
>I have had several high mileage vehicles and only had to replace a couple of
>them.

Humm.. my old timers must be acting up again.... You've given me good
advice before... so I must have ASSumed!
Chuck
Old March 20th 05, 07:04 AM
JS

"Wound Up" > wrote in message
> Chuck wrote:
>> Recap:... I had an intermittent problem with an O2 sensor, plus
>> possible fuel contamination. Ran out bad gas, ran "sea foam" through
>> vacuum hose, and put some into gas. Made O2 sensor problem go away
>> and car ran normal..
>>
>> As per Backyard's suggestion that O2 sensors aren't made to last
>> forever.. I changed all four of mine.

> IT HAS FOUR?? Good Lord. I again thank the stars for my '67.

Welcome to dual exhaust OBD-II cars. My '97 Cobra is the same way. I'm
afraid to see how much it'll cost for a round of sensors.

The front two are calculated in the air/fuel mix... the rears are there to
tell the computer that the cats are working. This is why there are a lot of
O2 sensor eliminator kits for the rear two...

> I changed the O2 sensor in my Tempo at 124k. At 196k, she's no beauty
> queen, but 28-33 mpg is nice with gas prices where they are.

Sensor. Singular. Must be nice... lol. Speaking of gas mileage, I hope it
gets warm and dry here real soon so I can start riding the bike to work more
often...

> I had 138,000 miles on mine in
>> a 96 coupe. Now car seems to be more responsive than before (when
>> computer wasn't in limp home mode..)
>> $290 for parts and 15 minutes on the lift.. Now when I do have a
>> problem or get a code... and least O2 sensors shouldn't be a problem
>> for a while... Looking forward to checking milage on next trip..
>> Chuck

> ByM -is- a crusty old geezer curmudgeon, but he doesn't talk (much) ****.
>
> --
> Wound Up
> ThunderSnake #65

JS

Old March 21st 05, 02:46 AM
Rein

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:33:36 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
> wrote:

>Chuck opined in :
>
>> Recap:... I had an intermittent problem with an O2 sensor, plus
>> possible fuel contamination. Ran out bad gas, ran "sea foam" through
>> vacuum hose, and put some into gas. Made O2 sensor problem go away
>> and car ran normal..
>>
>> As per Backyard's suggestion that O2 sensors aren't made to last
>> forever.. I changed all four of mine. I had 138,000 miles on mine in
>> a 96 coupe. Now car seems to be more responsive than before (when
>> computer wasn't in limp home mode..)
>> $290 for parts and 15 minutes on the lift.. Now when I do have a
>> problem or get a code... and least O2 sensors shouldn't be a problem
>> for a while... Looking forward to checking milage on next trip..
>> Chuck

>Much as I appreciate kudo's... I dont advocate replacing O2 sensors for
>"aging".
>and a search of the group on google doesnt show me responding to that.
>http://tinyurl.com/4h75q
>
>Looks lik eit might have been JS and REIN
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5yabw
>
>I have had several high mileage vehicles and only had to replace a couple of
>them.

well, like any part really, it's just to show that it CAN break down
pretty early. I had one o2 sensor go out around 50K on my 95GT, and
the other sensor was still fine at 92K. Go figure.

I DID see a test of o2 sensors somewhere a while back(I wish I could
still find it) where someone hooked up a scope to them and tested
their responsiveness. The older o2 sensors definitely showed a
different pattern than the new sensors.

Old March 22nd 05, 01:01 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Rein opined

>>I have had several high mileage vehicles and only had to replace a
>>couple of them.

> well, like any part really, it's just to show that it CAN break down
> pretty early. I had one o2 sensor go out around 50K on my 95GT, and
> the other sensor was still fine at 92K. Go figure.
>
> I DID see a test of o2 sensors somewhere a while back(I wish I could
> still find it) where someone hooked up a scope to them and tested
> their responsiveness. The older o2 sensors definitely showed a
> different pattern than the new sensors.

They definitely slow up with age, but that largely depends on quality of the
gas used, and a ton of other factors.

It's deposits on sense elements that cause the slowing.

Failure of "heater" element in the sensor is a whole different thing. May
happen anytime