Hand Brake cable

Old December 29th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
cletus

Default Hand Brake cable

Trying to replace cables on sons project car.68 bug. Could not get the
cable threaded end out of the tube, its like the threaded part is too long
to make the turn at the rear end of the tube, ended up pushing the cable
back in and cutting off the threaded end at the handle, then pulled the
cable out easily. Can't get the new one to go in the tube. there is no way
that 3 inch long threaded piece will make that 90 degree turn into the
tunnel. Obviously somebody got one in there at some point, probably in
Germany, but I can't do it. I did run a "fish tape' up into the tube with
no problems it has an eye hook on the end about half as long as the threaded
part of the brake cable, same diameter more or less.

Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? any help will be
appreciated...

Old December 29th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Cletus wrote:
> Trying to replace cables on sons project car.68 bug. Could not get the
> cable threaded end out of the tube, its like the threaded part is too long
> to make the turn at the rear end of the tube, ended up pushing the cable
> back in and cutting off the threaded end at the handle, then pulled the
> cable out easily. Can't get the new one to go in the tube. there is no way
> that 3 inch long threaded piece will make that 90 degree turn into the
> tunnel. Obviously somebody got one in there at some point, probably in
> Germany, but I can't do it. I did run a "fish tape' up into the tube with
> no problems it has an eye hook on the end about half as long as the threaded
> part of the brake cable, same diameter more or less.
>
> Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? any help will be
> appreciated...

The cable tubes have only a very gentle bend to them,
no 90 deg turn at all. Something is not right here.

Not sure if this will help, but there are cutaway pics
of the tunnel he
http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug.html

Jim
Old December 29th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Seem to recall I did caused that accidentally about 30 years ago. I took
the guide tube off to try and lubricate it but did not "sit" it back on to
the body squarely on reassembly.
(Another instance where the thought " if it aint broke...........
occurred to me.)
That reduced the "cross sectional area" of the tube so to speak where the
body and guide tube met so threaded section of cable wouldn,t go through.
Took it off again, made sure I lined up the guide tube so it sat squarely
on the body and all was well. If I recall correctly there is a "nipple" the
guide tube sits over.
Speedy is spot on, there are no sharp bends even remotely approaching 90
deg. I,d be looking at where front of the guide tube "attaches " to the
body.
If you cant see it, and it is difficult , get some fencing wire, thread it
through the guide tube and then put the fencing wire into the body tubing
and assemble.
ie assemble it with the fencing wire in place which will keep guide tube
and body aligned and when reassembled withdraw fencing wire.
Hope that works
John

Old December 29th 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

B.gg...r, why didnt I see Hand Brake Cable and not Clutch?. sorry about
that, chief.

Old December 29th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message

> The cable tubes have only a very gentle bend to them,
> no 90 deg turn at all. Something is not right here.
>
> Not sure if this will help, but there are cutaway pics
> of the tunnel he
> http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/insideabug.html

I agree with Jim here(as usual)... you may need to GENTLY straighten out
the tube where it exits the pan, had to do that myself before...

Old December 30th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

I replaced my e-brake cables on my 1973 Beetle.
This link may or may not help. I hope it does.

http://www.vw-resource.com/handbrk.html#cable

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''

Old January 10th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Banned

1963 green VW beetle I used to own, I wish now I had kept that car.One
afternoon, I was down town and driving along, the clutch cable
broke.Fotunately, I was only a few blocks away from the VW
dealership.Somehow, I made it to the dealership shop and I had the
clutch cable replaced with a new one.I also bought a another new clutch
cable for a spare.I learned how to install my new clutch cable when the
one the shop installed broke.

Nowadays though, I think there are hydraulic clutch and brake kits
available to replace clutch and brake cables.
cuhulin