Unwanted Complexity

Old June 3rd 11, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.bmw
AD[_2_]

Default Unwanted Complexity

On Jun 1, 6:17*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> AD > wrote:
> >On May 31, 4:17=A0pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> >bmw of the usa does not want to break $30k barrier downward into mini
> >territory I guess.
> >Part of the brand image preservation program (TM).

> >Speaking of which: is basic cooper or cooper S bare enough for your
> >tastes
> >or you share my aversion for fwd?

> Cooper S is right out. *FWD, no spare tire. *The basic model I might be able
> to live with. *It handles amazingly well for FWD although I don't think I
> would be able to change a clutch. *Changing the clutch on the 2002 is about
> two hour's work in the driveway with some 2X4s to lower the transmission.
> And a spare gaibo since I have wrecked one every time I have dropped the thing.
>
> >> See...the current BMW 5-series is just gargantuan. =A0I would call that b=

> >igger
> >> than midsize, personally. =A0Maybe that's part of my issue.

> >it's fullsize, had been for a long time I suspect.
> >Any problems with bmw bread and butter 3xx? last time I checked it was
> >not
> >screwed up in a major way with options overload

> I think that's probably where I'm going to be going. *Still lots of junk
> on it.

I drove 1997 520i stripper last night
you get dual zone climate and as far as junk goes there is sunroof and
that's it.
Still could be handy to vent hot air out when it's hot outside.

I could not feel any engine vibration or heard any unpleasant noises
from that 4 banger :----------O

Not an issue for you since you are in the states.

Good luck finding bare bones bmw there.