Tires

Old May 13th 11, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default Tires

So, the 2002 came with 165-13 rims, which were okay until I could no longer
get 165-13 tires. That's when I replaced them with some newer rims from
(I think) a 328, which take 195/70R14 tires which were fine for a long time.

Now I'm finding it difficult to get anything in 195/70R14.... I really liked
the Goodyear F-1s but they don't make them in that size any more. The
Aquatreads were okay, a little hard and a little skittery on grooved pavement
but okay. But, they don't make them in that size any more. So I went with
the Michelin Hydro-Edge, which wasn't bad. But, although they claim to make
it in that size, they don't actually ship any and they have been backordered
at the distributor since November 2009. So, I tried a Sumitomo tire, which
was discontinued almost days after I put them on.

Is it time for me to change rims again. If so, any recommendations?
--scott
Old May 13th 11, 04:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

A 215/45x17 is a direct replacement of the 195/70x14s that you have now.

Old May 13th 11, 04:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Old May 13th 11, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

195 is the tread width, sorta. It is really the cross section, but when 195
changes, the tread width becomes narrower or wider depending on which way
the change is. It is safe to call 195 the treadwidth, however this is
technically not accurate. But I digress. The number is a measurment in
millimeters

70 is the percentage of the tread width that equals the sidewall height.
This number is referred to as the Aspect Ratio.

And, 14 is the rim diameter, in inches.

You have a relative narrow tire and can easily accomodate a little more
width if you observe the offset of the rim. If you have too little offset,
the rims will allow the tire to stike the fenders, too much and the rim can
collide with suspension components. Measure offset back of the mounting
surface to the centerline of the wheel. An easier measurement location would
be from the back of the mounting surface to the edge of the rim, but that is
not the way they do it for some reason. The result is the same, but the
measurement is different. If the measurement is to the centerline, then a
relative narrow rim width and a wider rim width can be compared because the
change in a 7" rim to an 8" rim will put the additional 1/2 inch on each
side of the centerline, and an offset of 40, for example, will remain a
constant. One method of measurement results in offset, the other gives
backspacing. You tire shop will be able to confirm this, or set you
straight. Either way, it is an important consideration to keep in mind.

You have a 195, and I suggested a 215. The difference is 20mm, which is
about 3/4 inch. It is actually a little over 3/4 inch, perhaps closer to 7/8
inch. A 215/45x17 is a very common tire size that should be around for a
long time. It is the standard size tire on the Scion tC from the early years
(I'm not sure if the tC is still fitted with that size or not.)

I do not know what the width of the rim is that you have now, but a 215/45
should fit onto a 7JJ without any trouble. Rims are designated 7JJ, 7.5JJ,
8JJ, and so on, to denote the width. I think, but am not certain, that JJ is
the shape of the bead area, and this is for all practical purposes the
standard used for USA-destination cars. So, if your current rim is a 7JJx14,
then a 7JJx17 will be a direct replacement. All you have to match is the
offset. Again, your tire professionals can help you alot with this.
www.tirerack.com is an excellent resource, by the way. They might even have
the various fitments for your car already loaded into a spreadsheet...

Old May 13th 11, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Old May 15th 11, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> So, the 2002 came with 165-13 rims, which were okay until I could no
> longer
> get 165-13 tires. That's when I replaced them with some newer rims from
> (I think) a 328, which take 195/70R14 tires which were fine for a long
> time.
>
> Now I'm finding it difficult to get anything in 195/70R14.... I really
> liked
> the Goodyear F-1s but they don't make them in that size any more. The
> Aquatreads were okay, a little hard and a little skittery on grooved
> pavement
> but okay. But, they don't make them in that size any more. So I went
> with
> the Michelin Hydro-Edge, which wasn't bad. But, although they claim to
> make
> it in that size, they don't actually ship any and they have been
> backordered
> at the distributor since November 2009. So, I tried a Sumitomo tire,
> which
> was discontinued almost days after I put them on.
>
> Is it time for me to change rims again. If so, any recommendations?
> --scott

165x13 - very common size.

Within reason you can use wider tyres on the 14 inch rims (see posts from
Strickland), BUT make sure they will fit in the wheel arches.

You could move to 15" rims and lower profile, but now the ride will be
getting hard and the cost will go up.

Old May 15th 11, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

Old May 15th 11, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
L G[_3_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "Scott > wrote in message
>
>> So, the 2002 came with 165-13 rims, which were okay until I could no
>> longer
>> get 165-13 tires. That's when I replaced them with some newer rims from
>> (I think) a 328, which take 195/70R14 tires which were fine for a long
>> time.
>>
>> Now I'm finding it difficult to get anything in 195/70R14.... I really
>> liked
>> the Goodyear F-1s but they don't make them in that size any more. The
>> Aquatreads were okay, a little hard and a little skittery on grooved
>> pavement
>> but okay. But, they don't make them in that size any more. So I went
>> with
>> the Michelin Hydro-Edge, which wasn't bad. But, although they claim to
>> make
>> it in that size, they don't actually ship any and they have been
>> backordered
>> at the distributor since November 2009. So, I tried a Sumitomo tire,
>> which
>> was discontinued almost days after I put them on.
>>
>> Is it time for me to change rims again. If so, any recommendations?
>> --scott
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>>

> 165x13 - very common size.
>
> Within reason you can use wider tyres on the 14 inch rims (see posts from
> Strickland), BUT make sure they will fit in the wheel arches.
>
> You could move to 15" rims and lower profile, but now the ride will be
> getting hard and the cost will go up.

Here are 15...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...70&diameter=14

Old May 15th 11, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
L G[_3_]

Old May 20th 11, 12:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Jeff Strickland wrote:

>You have a 195, and I suggested a 215. The difference is 20mm, which is
>about 3/4 inch. It is actually a little over 3/4 inch, perhaps closer to 7/8
>inch.

God Lord, you are stupid.

OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 68 September 12th 07 03:08 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 07:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 09:34 PM