Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

Old May 22nd 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Michael Pardee

Default Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

"Eeyore" > wrote in message

> jim beam wrote:
>
>> is there a "conspiracy theory" connection?

> In the USA when *isn't* there a conspiracy theory to match ?
>
> Graham

Now we come full circle - the OP is naked spam to get us to visit the
*really* wacked site this spam is advertising. The same spam appears in
nearly every auto forum, in different cross-posted blocks.

Mike

"We never walked on the moon, Elvis ain't dead, you ain't goin' crazy, it's
all in your head."

Old May 23rd 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Eeyore wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>

>>When one looks at the weight of today's cars, one common fact comes out;
>>Weight gain is due mostly to safety considerations.

> This is especially a problem in the USA where it seem the public thinks heavy
> vehicles are safer.
>
> Graham

If push comes to shove, the heavier vehicle will suffer less damage than
the lighter should the two tango.

Quite frankly, I feel a whole lot safer in my 1955 Studebaker President
with seat belts than I do in my 1983 Civic.

JT

Old May 23rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Scott in Florida wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 21:58:58 GMT, Eeyore
> > wrote:
>

>>Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>>

>>>When one looks at the weight of today's cars, one common fact comes out;
>>>Weight gain is due mostly to safety considerations.

>>This is especially a problem in the USA where it seem the public thinks heavy
>>vehicles are safer.
>>
>>Graham

> Not everyone in the USA believes heavier is safer.
>
> No one is safe when you are hit by a big scary truck.

Heh heh... I tell friends with modern plastic that the only thing soft
on my 1964 Studebaker T-Cab are the tires and that I take advantage of
other's crush zones...

> The best answer is to learn to drive and drive defensively.

Absolutely! That's why I have no qualms driving an older Civic.

JT

Old May 23rd 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Grumpy AuContraire

Eeyore wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>

>>Eeyore wrote:

>>>I thought it was Ford's idea to run the tyres with an absurdly low presure? How
>>>can Firestone be liable for a design defect by the car maker ?

>>It was and it just made the problem worse by hastening the failure of
>>tires while not fixing the real culprit, vehicle design.
>>
>>Better ideas from Ford??? Not likely...

> I think the next model Explorer had a wider track which is what the design engineers
> said it needed all along but the bean counters wouldn't have it. Shadows of Pinto
> style thinking again.
>
> Grtaham

Not to mention the fire bomb characteristics of the current crop of cop
cars..

JT

Old May 23rd 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
EdV

google the opel eco-speedster, its more realistic than the this VW.

Old May 23rd 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Tegger

Eeyore > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>
>> Eeyore > wrote
>> >
>> > I've *never* seen a maintenance requirement for a manual
>> > transmission.
>> >

>> Fluid must be replaced at regular intervals. This will be specified
>> in the maintenance table for your car.

> The last one I recall making any oil change requirement was a high-end
> 1970 model.

Such a directive exists for all Toyotas and Hondas for the last several
decades.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 23rd 07, 02:21 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Tegger

"jp2express" > wrote in
et:

> Are automatic transmissions still more expensive to maintain (i.e.
> fluid changes, belt/band adjustments, filter replacements, etc.)?

Most autos do not use bands any more; they use clutch packs. Filter
replacements are not usually required if the fluid is changed regularly.

> I know of many older vehicles where the manual transmissions have not
> been serviced during the lifetime of the vehicle.

So do I. But I seriously doubt any of those boxes would last 300K miles.

It is to the credit of the manufacturers that trannies last as long as they
do with the neglect and abuse many people throw at them.

> Has this been
> changed for modern day manual transmissions?

No. Fluid changes are always desirable regardless of transmission make or
model. Lubricant quality deteriorates over time regardless.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:26 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Tegger

Broderick Crawford > wrote in
:

> **** safety, Drive right and you won't need it. Safety is just a
> protection scheme invented by the American car companies to keep out
> the competition.

If that's the case, the plan isn't working very well. The domestics are
losing market share left right and center. Isn't Toyota poised to displace
GM in the #1 position in a few years?

Old May 23rd 07, 02:53 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Eeyore

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
> > Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> >
> >>When one looks at the weight of today's cars, one common fact comes out;
> >>Weight gain is due mostly to safety considerations.

> > This is especially a problem in the USA where it seem the public thinks heavy
> > vehicles are safer.

> If push comes to shove, the heavier vehicle will suffer less damage than
> the lighter should the two tango.

The *vehicle* may indeed suffer less damage. Doesn't necessarily hold true for the
people inside.

> Quite frankly, I feel a whole lot safer in my 1955 Studebaker President
> with seat belts than I do in my 1983 Civic.

Whereas in fact you're far worse off.

Graham

Old May 23rd 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
Eeyore

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
> > Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> >>It was and it just made the problem worse by hastening the failure of
> >>tires while not fixing the real culprit, vehicle design.
> >>
> >>Better ideas from Ford??? Not likely...

> > I think the next model Explorer had a wider track which is what the design > engineers

> said it needed all along but the bean counters wouldn't have it. Shadows > of Pinto
> style thinking again.
>

> Not to mention the fire bomb characteristics of the current crop of cop
> cars..

I hadn't heard of that being British and all. Cars catching fire over here is virtually
unheard of.

Graham