Downshifting

Old November 4th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
CR

Default Downshifting

OP here...
I agree - a smooth downshift is satisfying.
I'm glad the topic has created a vigorous discussion. It was a question
that intrigued me...is it necessary or destructive or ???

As far as European preferences go:
My wife and I recently visited Iceland. The bus that shuttled us from
Keflavik to Reykjavik after we arrived was luxurious, modern, and the
first manual transmission bus I have ridden in since grade school!

Automobile rentals are the same ... if someone wants a car with an
automatic transmission they must reserve one.

BTW: Ring Road 1 is a wonderful driving experience! It would be a blast
if the MX-5 could go with us next time ....

Old November 4th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 04:18:27 +0000, Alan Baker wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> Carbon > wrote:

>> > I've been trying to do the heel-and-toe thing, but I think my feet
>> > are the wrong size for the pedals.

> Place your foot so that it is on the brake pedal as you would for normal
> use. Now, move it slightly to the right and rotate it counter clockwise,
> so that you end up with the ball of your foot still on the brake pedal,
> but the right edge of your foot just over the accelerator (near the
> heel, but you're not actually trying to get the heel squarely over it).
>
> You should now be able to apply all the necessary force to the brake
> pedal and by "rolling" your foot, use the edge of your foot to blip the
> accelerator.

Yesterday on the way home from work I was practicing a stoplight and when
the light turned green this old 5.0 Mustang in the other lane took off
like a scalded cat.

I saw heel-and-toeing done properly recently on an older Top Gear episode
(great show, btw) on Youtube, where the intrepid Tiff Needell was really
flying in a Ferrari Modena. He of course was perfect, even with the gated
shifter. But then he is a professional. It's harder than it looks.

The top-end cars are all going to various forms of manumatic gearboxes
with paddle shifters. The fact is they just work faster and better. It's a
matter of time before clutch pedals and true manual gearboxes become even
more quaint here than they are already.
Old November 4th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article .com>,
Carbon > wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 04:18:27 +0000, Alan Baker wrote:

> > Place your foot so that it is on the brake pedal as you would for normal
> > use. Now, move it slightly to the right and rotate it counter clockwise,
> > so that you end up with the ball of your foot still on the brake pedal,
> > but the right edge of your foot just over the accelerator (near the
> > heel, but you're not actually trying to get the heel squarely over it).
> >
> > You should now be able to apply all the necessary force to the brake
> > pedal and by "rolling" your foot, use the edge of your foot to blip the
> > accelerator.

> Yesterday on the way home from work I was practicing a stoplight and when
> the light turned green this old 5.0 Mustang in the other lane took off
> like a scalded cat.
>
> I saw heel-and-toeing done properly recently on an older Top Gear episode
> (great show, btw) on Youtube, where the intrepid Tiff Needell was really
> flying in a Ferrari Modena. He of course was perfect, even with the gated
> shifter. But then he is a professional. It's harder than it looks.
>
> The top-end cars are all going to various forms of manumatic gearboxes
> with paddle shifters. The fact is they just work faster and better. It's a
> matter of time before clutch pedals and true manual gearboxes become even
> more quaint here than they are already.

I completely agree, and as much as I admire technological advancement
I'm going to miss straight manual gearboxes and clutches and the dance
of feet and hands.

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'

'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
Old November 4th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Ahhh! how dare you disagree (I don't call that arguing) Pat? Actually I
don't remember ever having a clutch replaced on a car I've owned either,
hmmmm, weird. I do remember my son's going out in an old eclipse. The brake
pad issue is trivial though real, probably more important in bigger /
heavier cars but, that's not why I do it. It's really just about driver
involvement, I'm for it! In every way, I'm for it, it's just a bit more
enjoyment / action for me. Actually, I'm worried about the use 'um or lose
'um proposition on the brain cells ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old November 4th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

Don Bruder wrote:
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:

>>> First, defeat whatever %(*#^^%#%%$ interlock the idiots put on the
>>> car to prevent cranking while in gear/clutch engaged.

>> That's the tricky part if you didn't think of it until you're
>> stuck in a large empty parking lot after you return from a
>> business trip and find your clutch no longer works.

> Which is why, as I noted, it's the second thing that happens after I
> take posession of the vehicle. (Third is removing or permanently
> silencing those damned "door ajar" and "fasten seat belts"
> noisemakers)

Better cut those pesky airbags out while you're operating, Doc.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old November 5th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

tooloud wrote:
> Don Bruder wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Grant Edwards > wrote:

>>> That's the tricky part if you didn't think of it until you're
>>> stuck in a large empty parking lot after you return from a
>>> business trip and find your clutch no longer works.

>> Which is why, as I noted, it's the second thing that happens after I
>> take posession of the vehicle. (Third is removing or permanently
>> silencing those damned "door ajar" and "fasten seat belts"
>> noisemakers)

> Better cut those pesky airbags out while you're operating, Doc.

My miata is missing all of the above, though I don't think it ever had a
door ajar buzzer, I'm not sure.

The airbag, (it only came with one), is the only thing that I would
consider putting back in, and I don't want the one from 1991 in there.

The clutch lock is useless to me.
Now that it has the ACT3 clutch, disengaging the clutch lock is
beneficial enough to the point that I consider it mandatory.

The day that I need a warning buzzer to tell me to put the seat belt on
or to tell me that a door is not fully closed will also be the day that
it is time to take away my keys and put me out to pasture.

Pat
Old November 5th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Ahhh! how dare you disagree (I don't call that arguing) Pat? Actually I
> don't remember ever having a clutch replaced on a car I've owned either,
> hmmmm, weird. I do remember my son's going out in an old eclipse. The brake
> pad issue is trivial though real, probably more important in bigger /
> heavier cars but, that's not why I do it. It's really just about driver
> involvement, I'm for it! In every way, I'm for it, it's just a bit more
> enjoyment / action for me. Actually, I'm worried about the use 'um or lose
> 'um proposition on the brain cells ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Damn you and your logic!

It can't be hurting, since you can leave me behind in the twisties while
you driving a slower car.

For those that haven't had the pleasure of watching Chris's taillights
disappear into the distance, he is no slouch behind the wheel.

Pat
Old November 5th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Pat, stop it, people will think one of us is an evangelical preacher and one
of us is a ..... ah ....... masseuse!? Ya, right!

Chris
99BBB

Old November 5th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article <yd93h.1051032$084.240862@attbi_s22>,
"tooloud" > wrote:

> Don Bruder wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Grant Edwards > wrote:

> >> That's the tricky part if you didn't think of it until you're
> >> stuck in a large empty parking lot after you return from a
> >> business trip and find your clutch no longer works.

> > Which is why, as I noted, it's the second thing that happens after I
> > take posession of the vehicle. (Third is removing or permanently
> > silencing those damned "door ajar" and "fasten seat belts"
> > noisemakers)

> Better cut those pesky airbags out while you're operating, Doc.

I wouldn't buy a car with airbags in the first place.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old November 5th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> tooloud wrote:
> > Don Bruder wrote:

> >> Which is why, as I noted, it's the second thing that happens after I
> >> take posession of the vehicle. (Third is removing or permanently
> >> silencing those damned "door ajar" and "fasten seat belts"
> >> noisemakers)

> > Better cut those pesky airbags out while you're operating, Doc.
> >

> My miata is missing all of the above, though I don't think it ever had a
> door ajar buzzer, I'm not sure.
>
> The airbag, (it only came with one), is the only thing that I would
> consider putting back in, and I don't want the one from 1991 in there.
>
> The clutch lock is useless to me.
> Now that it has the ACT3 clutch, disengaging the clutch lock is
> beneficial enough to the point that I consider it mandatory.
>
> The day that I need a warning buzzer to tell me to put the seat belt on
> or to tell me that a door is not fully closed will also be the day that
> it is time to take away my keys and put me out to pasture.
>
> Pat

Precisely my views. I don't need a vehicle tyring to "out-think" me
about when it's OK to crank. When I turn the key, I mean crank, and do
it now. Unconditionally. If it's in gear and I don't have the clutch
mashed to the floorboards, crank anyway - I *WANT* the vehicle to move
(or at least, the drive wheels to spin) as I'm cranking, for whatever
silly (or not-so-silly) reason. That's why I'm turning the key! If I
didn't wnat the drive wheels turning as it cranked, I would have either
stomped the clutch or pulled it out of gear before turning the key, or
simply not turned the key in the first place!

Likewise, I don't need to be buzzed, bleated, or beeped at for the door
being open - It's open for a reason. Ditto the seatbelt - It's not
fastened for a reason. Perhaps because I'm not intending to go anywhere.
Perhaps simply because I choose not to fasten it. Whatever the reason,
good, bad, or otherwise, SHUT UP ALREADY! I know it isn't fastened, and
having a buzzer going off at me about it isn't going to change that!

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

2002 Mustang 6cyl -Automatic slow response to downshifting [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 October 27th 06 01:23 PM
Hard Downshifting Spdloader Jeep 18 November 27th 05 01:47 AM
downshifting automatic to slow down [email protected] Dodge 6 November 16th 05 01:47 PM
3.3L downshifting by self after replacing Engine Bob Warmen Chrysler 8 October 12th 04 05:39 PM