A8 backlight on instrument cluster

Old March 3rd 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default A8 backlight on instrument cluster

I just had my instrument cluster replaced on my 2000 A8. When the car is on,
but the head lights are off, should the speedometer, gas gauge, temperature
gauge and tachometer be back lit? Something definitely seems different than
before but the dealership claims that it should not be back lit. The only
part that is illuminated is the center rectangle where the NAV displays. It
does backlight when you turn the headlights on.

-al

Old March 3rd 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Alan,
IME, when the headlights are off, the instrument lights are as well. That
holds for all of my cars (even the DKWs) and wife's Honda.
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old March 4th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Alan Sung" > wrote in message
> I just had my instrument cluster replaced on my 2000 A8. When the car is

on,
> but the head lights are off, should the speedometer, gas gauge,

temperature
> gauge and tachometer be back lit? Something definitely seems different

than
> before but the dealership claims that it should not be back lit. The only
> part that is illuminated is the center rectangle where the NAV displays.

It
> does backlight when you turn the headlights on.

This is a programmable setting of the Instrument Cluster (well at least on
the newer Audis). The A8 of the that vintage may have these settings. It
sounds by your description that your car does. You need to get the settings
changed using VAG-COM or the like.

This link is for the B6 A4 but it will give you the idea.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB6.html

Hope this helps

Richard