'95 Saturn driver's mirror - removal problem

Old November 9th 05, 01:43 AM
Mark G. Meyers

Default '95 Saturn driver's mirror - removal problem

Hi,
I took a couple of photos of my saturn mirror that is broken off, and the
problem is I don't see to remove/replace the cable to fix or replace the
mirror. Anyone know what I need to do? The pics are at

http://www.geocities.com/markgmeyers/saturn_mirror.htm

TIA!

Mark

Old November 9th 05, 06:15 AM
Bob Shuman

I replaced this for my son on a 1996, but it was a couple years back and I
honestly do not remember the details... What I do recall is that it only
took about 15 minutes so was pretty simple. I seem to recall possibly three
screws or bolts that held the mirror into place. If I also recall
correctly, the Allen set screw I can see in your photo was used for an
adjustment or to hold the cable end in its housing. This needed to be
loosened to allow the mechanism to go through the door to the exterior and
be removed.

Bottom line is that this should be pretty obvious. Get the replacement
mirror from a junk yard and you will see where the screws/bolts are holding
it in place. I do remember there was a plastic cover on the inside that
needed to be removed, but it appears you already got that off. There may
have been a hidden screw there that held the plastic cover in place.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Bob

Old November 9th 05, 01:37 PM
Shawn

It has to be let go from inside the door. Remove the cap covering the bolts.

Old November 10th 05, 07:08 AM
Mark G. Meyers

You wrote
"If I also recall
correctly, the Allen set screw I can see in your photo was used for an
adjustment or to hold the cable end in its housing. This needed to be
loosened to allow the mechanism to go through the door to the exterior and
be removed."

Well, I don't see it as an allen set screw in the picture. But I'll for
sure have to screw with it. It looks like in the bottom picture a threaded
round piece, but not an allen screw. Maybe something on the top of it,
which is only seen side-view in the pic. The only thing holding me back at
this point is the cable.

Thanks -
Mark

Old November 10th 05, 07:11 AM
Mark G. Meyers

If the 'cap' is the plastic panel of the interior there, then I don't see
how to remove it without detaching the cable or cable housing first.

Old November 10th 05, 12:43 PM
MasterBlaster

"Mark G. Meyers" wrote

> If the 'cap' is the plastic panel of the interior there, then I don't see
> how to remove it without detaching the cable or cable housing first.

You didn't say what model of Saturn, but this looks like your pictures:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8019b228.jsp

Old November 10th 05, 02:39 PM
Mark G. Meyers

Garsh. Very cool! It doesn't look like a hex screw, but I suppose it has
to be. Like Bob said. That'll pretty much do it!

Mark

Old November 11th 05, 02:25 AM
James1549

The allen screw is facing you in the bottom photo. Simply loosen the
screw and the assy will slip out, allowing you to remove the mirror
assy from the door. James

1996 Saturn SC-2 problem sagewillow Saturn 6 October 14th 05 11:23 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
'97 saturn has problem starting, overheats, smokes,...help! CarProblem Saturn 2 July 19th 05 09:47 PM
Saturn Messes Up for 11th Time in a Row!!!! George Saturn 9 August 23rd 04 02:06 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM