2005 Town & Country with "clunking" front end over bumps

Old January 21st 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Just Me (remove

Default 2005 Town & Country with "clunking" front end over bumps

Seems like a shock problem.

There is a "clunking" sound in the frond end coming from the wheel area.
It is noticeable on small bumps in the road and usually less on bigger
bumps.

I assume the shocks need to be replaced but it seems awfully early in
it's life.

I had an older T&C that seemed to always have CV joint problems and
wondered if anyone thought they still used the same bad parts and a
clunking would come from there instead of shocks.

Thanks.
Old January 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Just Me (remove <nospam> to reply)" > wrote in
message news:Pr5lj.18927$9t4.15898@trnddc08...
> Seems like a shock problem.
>
> There is a "clunking" sound in the frond end coming from the wheel area.
> It is noticeable on small bumps in the road and usually less on bigger
> bumps.
>
> I assume the shocks need to be replaced but it seems awfully early in
> it's life.
>
> I had an older T&C that seemed to always have CV joint problems and
> wondered if anyone thought they still used the same bad parts and a
> clunking would come from there instead of shocks.
>
> Thanks.

Sway bar bushing and or sway bar links bad.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 21st 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

On Jan 21, 1:47 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:

> Sway bar bushing and or sway bar links bad.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

amazing... I typed up a message a while ago saying that I noticed
the plastic ends of the anti-roll bar links on my grand-dad's 2004 are
partially broken at 25,000 when i changed the brakes and rotors..
but i didn't think it was relevant.

this thing is worse than a benz! lol!

Old January 21st 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Nza" > wrote in message
> On Jan 21, 1:47 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> >
> > Sway bar bushing and or sway bar links bad.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> amazing... I typed up a message a while ago saying that I noticed
> the plastic ends of the anti-roll bar links on my grand-dad's 2004 are
> partially broken at 25,000 when i changed the brakes and rotors..
> but i didn't think it was relevant.
>
> this thing is worse than a benz! lol!

The ends usually aren't. its the ball and socket that wear out. I guess
unless they are all beat up it could affect it. It is just a **** poor set
up. Been like that for a long time

Old January 22nd 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aarcuda69062

In article

m>,
Nza > wrote:

> this thing is worse than a benz! lol!

Impossible.
Old January 23rd 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ron Seiden

"Just Me (remove <nospam> to reply)" > wrote in
message news:Pr5lj.18927$9t4.15898@trnddc08...
> Seems like a shock problem.
>
> There is a "clunking" sound in the frond end coming from the wheel area.
> It is noticeable on small bumps in the road and usually less on bigger
> bumps.
>
> I assume the shocks need to be replaced but it seems awfully early in it's
> life.
>
> I had an older T&C that seemed to always have CV joint problems and
> wondered if anyone thought they still used the same bad parts and a
> clunking would come from there instead of shocks.
>
> Thanks.

Check out the bushings that hold the sway bar in place. If they get loose
you get a "clunk" over small bumps (like railroad crossings & such) from the
sway bar bouncing up & down. This happened to my 2004 Caravan after less
than 60K miles. New bushings and the noise is gone.

Old January 25th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
George Rhude

Glenn Beasley is right on about this clunking sound. I inspected the sway
bar bushing on my Van and they looked like new. I could not believe they
were the problem, but it was the problem. I used the red plastic bushings
and that cured it. The Mopar dealers will only want to put in the factory
bushings, or, that is all the 2 dealers I checked with would do. One service
writer tried to convince me the steering rack was bad. I bought the bushings
from Advance ($9.00) and put them in myself. George
. ..

Old January 28th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
PC Medic

What kind of job is it to do these?
I mean can someone that has 'some' mechanical abilities easily do it, or is
it a pretty involved job.
I ask as I am getting the same clung/thumping noise as I travel over bumps
or dips in the road and suspect this may be the problem.
How much should I expect to pay if I decide to have someone do it (Virginia
area). ?

. ..

Old January 28th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"PC Medic" > wrote in message
> What kind of job is it to do these?
> I mean can someone that has 'some' mechanical abilities easily do it, or

is
> it a pretty involved job.
> I ask as I am getting the same clung/thumping noise as I travel over bumps
> or dips in the road and suspect this may be the problem.
> How much should I expect to pay if I decide to have someone do it

(Virginia
> area). ?
>

> "George Rhude" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Glenn Beasley is right on about this clunking sound. I inspected the

sway
> > bar bushing on my Van and they looked like new. I could not believe they
> > were the problem, but it was the problem. I used the red plastic

bushings
> > and that cured it. The Mopar dealers will only want to put in the

factory
> > bushings, or, that is all the 2 dealers I checked with would do. One
> > service writer tried to convince me the steering rack was bad. I bought
> > the bushings from Advance ($9.00) and put them in myself. George
> > "maxpower" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >>
> >> "Just Me (remove <nospam> to reply)" >

wrote
> >> in
> >> message news:Pr5lj.18927$9t4.15898@trnddc08...

area.

bigger

> >> Sway bar bushing and or sway bar links bad.
> >>
> >> Glenn Beasley
> >> Chrysler Tech

Having the vehicle up in the air makes it a lot easier. The sway bar
bushings are underneath the vehicle so you would have to crawl under it on
ramps. The links are on the outside near the wheels. Assuming the bolts
aren't frozen the links are easy to do. Spray them with penetrating oil
first. The going rate is about an hr labor for the links and bushings. If
you get them both done at the same time figure 1 1/2 hr. What part of VA.
Northern VA?

Glenn

Old January 28th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
PC Medic

"maxpower" > wrote in message
. ..

> "PC Medic" > wrote in message
>> What kind of job is it to do these?
>> I mean can someone that has 'some' mechanical abilities easily do it, or

> is
>> it a pretty involved job.
>> I ask as I am getting the same clung/thumping noise as I travel over
>> bumps
>> or dips in the road and suspect this may be the problem.
>> How much should I expect to pay if I decide to have someone do it

> (Virginia
>> area). ?
>>

>> "George Rhude" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> > Glenn Beasley is right on about this clunking sound. I inspected the

> sway
>> > bar bushing on my Van and they looked like new. I could not believe
>> > they
>> > were the problem, but it was the problem. I used the red plastic

> bushings
>> > and that cured it. The Mopar dealers will only want to put in the

> factory
>> > bushings, or, that is all the 2 dealers I checked with would do. One
>> > service writer tried to convince me the steering rack was bad. I bought
>> > the bushings from Advance ($9.00) and put them in myself. George
>> > "maxpower" > wrote in message
>> > . ..

> wrote

> area.

> bigger

> Having the vehicle up in the air makes it a lot easier. The sway bar
> bushings are underneath the vehicle so you would have to crawl under it on
> ramps. The links are on the outside near the wheels. Assuming the bolts
> aren't frozen the links are easy to do. Spray them with penetrating oil
> first. The going rate is about an hr labor for the links and bushings. If
> you get them both done at the same time figure 1 1/2 hr. What part of VA.
> Northern VA?
>
> Glenn

Thanks for the response.
I am in S.E. Virginia (Virginia Beach) and car is pretty clean underneath so
may not be hard to get them off.
No factory Service Manual for this one yet so was not sure what was involved
as not a job I have ever done.
Does not sound bad so have to decide if I want to attempt it. Ohhh how I
hate getting underneath the vehicles to work on them. Must be an age thing
:0)